21 posts
  • 2 / 3
 by Ramsdude
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1071  
United States of America   Pa.
Pro Bowl

ramsman34 wrote:One thing is for sure, they will be giving reps to everyone to see who can step up and, scouring the waiver wire for possible additions.

And sometimes you can find a "diamond in the rough" due to an injury. If it wasn't for Trent Green going down, we never would have known what Kurt could do. McVay and Wade know talent when they see it. Maybe they already have an idea who will take his place.

by /zn/
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Ramsdude wrote:And sometimes you can find a "diamond in the rough" due to an injury. If it wasn't for Trent Green going down, we never would have known what Kurt could do. McVay and Wade know talent when they see it. Maybe they already have an idea who will take his place.

It's too bad what happened to Morgan Fox. Losing Obo also not good. In terms of the team though Fox had never played LB/edge rusher before.

Now it's 6 guys for 2 starting spots + 2 back-up spots:

50 Ebukam, Samson LB 6-3 240 23 R Eastern Washington
53 Lawler, Justin DL 6-4 240 23 R SMU
96 Longacre, Matt DE 6-3 255 26 3 Northwest Missouri State
recovering--45 Okoronkwo, Ogbonnia LB 6-1 240 23 R Oklahoma
62 Womac, Brian DE 6-2 235 23 R Rice
49 Young, Trevon DE 6-4 258 23 R Louisville

Young and Womac are interesting prospects, though rarely do you get an 8-sack or more year out of a rookie DE/LB/edge guy.

Also of course they not only need to find 2 edge/LBs, they need to find 2 DEs for the 4 DL pass rushing sets (though one or both could in theory be the same guy for both roles).

by BobCarl
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   4283  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

majik wrote:Is it just me, or does this year seem like numerous injuries are occurring around the league in OTAs
As long as we protect the QB, then I'm not gonna stress. Injuries are part of the game.

Next man up.

by /zn/
5 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

BobCarl wrote:As long as we protect the QB, then I'm not gonna stress. Injuries are part of the game.

Next man up.

Injuries throughout the depth chart can lead to next man up type fixes.

But if injuries heavily batter one unit (like the OL or secondary), far more often than not, it compromises that unit, which then diminishes overall play.

by AltiTude Ram
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   2167  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

I'm ok with the Donald situation just because of unfortunate things like this.

I wish Fox well. Hoping for a total recovery and long career.

I'm just glad it wasn't AD before or after he signed the huge contract coming his way.

by Hacksaw
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

#58 Littleton

by /zn/
5 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:#58 Littleton

I think they have Littleton at ILB.

by /zn/
5 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:Yep.... I think he's going to be a good one

I like Littleton too. 2 blocked punts, plus a sack, a FF, and an INT all on just about 280 defensive snaps (really only 2 starts).

by AltiTude Ram
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   2167  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

https://www.downtownrams.com/single-pos ... kie-season

Rams DE John Franklin-Myers primed for breakthrough rookie season

May 26, 2018
| By:
Jake Ellenbogen

The Rams turned some heads when they selected the edge defender out of Stephen F. Austin, but John Franklin-Myers might end up being the star of their class when it's all said and done...

Rams rookie Franklin-Myers is 6-foot-4 and 283 pounds but moves extremely well and it allows to him play on the line or the edge. His body type and athletic profile match former Wade Phillips drafted players J.J. Watt and Adam Gotsis. Obviously, Watt is the bigger name there and for awhile he looked like the best defensive player in football. Franklin-Myers has that same similar build which would make him an extra large outside linebacker.

Watt his rookie year had 5.5 sacks, 56 tackles and two fumble recoveries as a 16-game starter. It's not to say Franklin-Myers is going to be the next Watt, but an injury to Morgan Fox and the fact he's a fourth-round pick in a draft that had the Rams picking as high as the third round this year, will give him some serious opportunity. None of these draft picks are slated to start but Franklin-Myers playing on the same line as Aaron Donald, Ndamukong Suh, Michael Brockers and Dominique Easley will allow him plenty of opportunities to learn and grow under their's and coach Wade Phillips' tutelage. The Rams key with this defense will be their defensive depth, they can rotate all around the line and Franklin-Myers is going to benefit from it for sure.

When Franklin-Myers came onto The Downtown Rams Podcast to guest host it with me he mentioned that he saw himself as a Michael Bennett type of player. The Rams rookie played at almost 300 pounds and slimmed down to the 280-pound range. He has a chance to be one of the more powerful 3-4 defensive ends in the league. He displayed plenty of quickness and sheer power on his college tape and that's sure to translate and then some with the Rams moving forward.

Every draft we find a few "diamonds in the rough" so to speak. I believe that when you look at John Franklin-Myers he embodies just that. Coming from a small school, not being heavily recruited because he played for an 0-40 high school football team and was not invited to the Senior Bowl. He tested well at the combine and put on some explosive tape but he didn't play across from any true NFL talent. These are the same things you see when you look back at a guy's career and wonder how teams missed on him. Franklin-Myers sets off that same kind of vibe.

With the coaches in the Rams organization, the amount of talent and the way the modern game has changed, it's likely Franklin-Myers is in the driver's seat to do some damage this season. Does he need to refine his technique? Sure, but his explosion, aggressive nature and his motor are going to propel him into the starting lineup down the road. Expect big things from the former Lumberjack sack artist.

by ramsrams
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1176  
Canada   Mississauga, ON
Pro Bowl

You know it is the off season when you have articles like this.

I don’t care how many qualifiers the author used. Comparing him to JJ Watt?

Gimme a break!

• 2 / 3
21 posts Mar 29 2024