• 1 / 4
 by BobCarl
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   4283  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Sammy Watkins returns kicks during Chiefs practice

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... s-practice

The Kansas City Chiefs acquired Sammy Watkins this offseason to stretch the field and bring even more speed to an offense already stockpiled with versatile weapons. But in signing the wideout to a three-year deal, has Kansas City also found its next great return man?

During organized team activities Thursday, Watkins was among a large group of Chiefs players spotted returning kicks, per ESPN's Adam Teicher.

A speedy receiver returning kicks in practice isn't a novel concept, but it's worth nothing because Watkins has zero experience fielding kickoffs in the pros. The former Bills and Rams receiver has never returned a kickoff in an NFL game. He did, however, tally 60 kick returns and six punt returns, including one return TD, while at Clemson.

For Watkins to break into Kansas City's return-man rotation would take an impressive audition this offseason. The Chiefs already boast an All-Pro punt returner in Tyreek Hill and still employ one of their capable kick returners from 2017, De'Anthony Thomas, who helped K.C. lead the league in kick return yardage (1,051).

It's uncommon for a receiver of Watkins' pedigree to be a team's main returner. Only four players last season recorded at least 39 receptions (Watkins' total) and 10 kick returns, and three of them were running backs (Alvin Kamara, Tarik Cohen, Jerick McKinnon, Tyler Lockett).

We'll wait and see if Watkins sticks on the kickoff team past K.C.'s offseason workouts -- or even past Thursday

by HighRoller
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   291  
Rookie

Holy Crap!

Good call on this news having its own thread. This is HUGE!!!

I actually think this needs to lead the first block on Sportscenter!

(Sarcasm off)

by moklerman
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

If a thread isn't interesting, it will wither and fall from the front page of threads quickly enough. But I HATE when someone craps on someone's thread just for posting it. You never know what the next person might find interesting and if it's not for you, just move along. Thanks for posting, OP.

by HighRoller
5 years 10 months ago
Rookie

moklerman wrote:If a thread isn't interesting, it will wither and fall from the front page of threads quickly enough. But I HATE when someone craps on someone's thread just for posting it. You never know what the next person might find interesting and if it's not for you, just move along. Thanks for posting, OP.

Awwww....Snowflake.

I am not posting for your soft feelings.

I am posting for my soft feelings. :lol2:

Likewise.......move on.

by moklerman
5 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

HighRoller wrote:Awwww....Snowflake.

I am not posting for your soft feelings.

I am posting for my soft feelings. :lol2:

Likewise.......move on.
From this nonsense? Gladly.

But I don't mind a thread about Sammy Watkins.

by HighRoller
5 years 10 months ago
Rookie

moklerman wrote:From this nonsense? Gladly.

But I don't mind a thread about Sammy Watkins.

Good for you Snowflake.

I am happy you don't care about something that doesn't matter.

My how they grow up so fast. :roll2:

by moklerman
5 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

HighRoller wrote:Good for you Snowflake.

I am happy you don't care about something that doesn't matter.

My how they grow up so fast. :roll2:
"Snowflake" AND an eyeroll emoji? I can't be the only one who's really impressed.

by BobCarl
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   4283  
Superstar

moklerman wrote:But I don't mind a thread about Sammy Watkins.

Additionally, Sammy Watkins will be playing against the Rams this year.

The video associated with the article is a VERY interesting discussion contrasting Brandin Cooks impact on the Rams vs Sammy Watkins impact with the Chiefs

• 1 / 4
36 posts Mar 28 2024