51 posts
  • 1 / 6
 by Ramsdude
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1071  
United States of America   Pa.
Pro Bowl

Jared Goff 'continues to get more comfortable' in Sean McVay's offense

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/24/nfl-los-angeles-rams-jared-goff-sean-mcvay-offense-otas/

By: Cameron DaSilva | 22 minutes ago

For the first two seasons of his NFL career, Jared Goff was forced to learn a new offense. He went from Cal to Jeff Fisher’s scheme to Sean McVay’s unit in a span of three years, which is far from an easy task for a young quarterback like him.

His lone season with Fisher led some to call him a bust and question whether he was worth the No. 1 overall pick, but those doubters were silenced a year ago when he made his first Pro Bowl and led the Rams to their first playoff berth since 2004.

Entering Year 2 in McVay’s system, Goff is getting even more comfortable with the speed of the NFL.

“It just continues to get more comfortable. Comfortable is the best word,” Goff said. “Stuff begins to slow down a bit more. It seems like it does every year all the way through high school, through college and now into the NFL.

“It’s every year you kind of start seeing more. You’re not seeing it moving so fast, but you’re more actually comprehending what’s going on and seeing the defenses better.”

Goff has reportedly looked sharp in practice while working with his new wideout, Brandin Cooks. That’s particularly noteworthy when considering the competition he’s facing in Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib and the Rams’ revamped secondary.

If Goff continues to improve in the NFL, he’ll be a perennial Pro Bowler in short order. Furthermore, he’ll be someone who takes his team to the postseason each year the way Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger often do.

That’s not to say Goff is already on track to become a Hall of Famer, but he looked sharp in his second season and is only going to get better the longer he plays in McVay’s offense.

“I think he’s confident. I think he truly is becoming that extension of the coaching staff that you hear us refer to commonly. I think the game is slowing down a little bit for him — it certainly is,” McVay said this week. “We know there is going to be a lot of great challenges ahead, but I think in terms of the command and really taking a great grasp of the offensive system, while kind of understanding everything that we’re trying to get done, I’ve been really pleased with Jared.”

by Hacksaw
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Practicing against that 2ndary is either going to make or break Goff. Sounds good so far.

by RedAlice
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   6596  
United States of America   Dallas, Texas
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:Practicing against that 2ndary is either going to make or break Goff. Sounds good so far.

Yeah, I was thinking about this too. Heat makes metal steel. And we have some heat in the secondary that is his practice.

And not to be a total dork, but I just adore Goff and think he is a solid learner and QB. Not a flashy one. He’s absorbing and advancing.

In a decade, I fully believe this won’t even be debatable.

Wentz came out hot. So did the Hare.

by Hacksaw
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

RedAlice wrote:Yeah, I was thinking about this too. Heat makes metal steel. And we have some heat in the secondary that is his practice.

And not to be a total dork, but I just adore Goff and think he is a solid learner and QB. Not a flashy one. He’s absorbing and advancing.

In a decade, I fully believe this won’t even be debatable.

Wentz came out hot. So did the Hare.

Wentz came to a better system / team in his year one. He became the instant face of the new NFL.
Foles performance in the SB shed some light on how solid a team Philly has, with or without CW. That should give some pause to appointing Wentz as THE next great QB.

Goff got the short straw even though he was the long one.
Between all those decades of team suckage and coach Fisher's obvious lack of offensive prowess, our young (2 years younger than Wentz) signal caller (and his 0-7 record) didn't stand a chance.

All this McV is the reason is true but it's also misleading. How do you think Wentz would have done in a Fisher offense? If things were reversed we'd be calling Wentz the Hare.

Rams, 'to infinity and beyond'.

And this year Goff will make believers out of all the doubters. (knock on wood)

GO RAMS

by RedAlice
5 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

Goff is on track. Solid.

To infinity and beyond! 💙💙💙

by RedAlice
5 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:The resilience Goff showed in bouncing back after that rookie year can’t be overstated.
He’s smarter, tougher and way better than his critics would ever give him credit for.

What struck me in that article, is Goff saying the game slows down like in HS, like in college, like now.

by Elvis
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38377  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I think he was saying, whatever level you're at, the game slows down from year to year...

by Ramsdude
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1071  
United States of America   Pa.
Pro Bowl

RedAlice wrote:Goff is on track. Solid.

To infinity and beyond! 💙💙💙

Agreed and I think we can be grateful that Fisher and Co didn't set him back a few years with that silly High School offense they tried to teach him. He has a real coach now who knows what offense means and we all see the difference that made in just one year. He should only get better form here.

by RedAlice
5 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:I think he was saying, whatever level you're at, the game slows down from year to year...

Exactly!!!!

That, impressed me. It’s just the next time, same thing.

He’s got this.

by Elvis
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38377  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Anybody can talk a good game. But not everybody can play one. That's what makes McVay/Goff special. They're doing it on the field...

• 1 / 6
51 posts Mar 28 2024