51 posts
  • 3 / 6
 by moklerman
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

I understand the credit going to McVay with his proactive helping of Goff. It was good coaching by him to get Goff off the mat, dust him off and get him producing. It was unconventional but it worked. But it also means that it wasn't all Goff. Which is why he isn't getting the same type of credit one would get for the numbers he had.

For now, critics are going to assume that it was just a sleight of hand parlor trick until Goff repeats. In his 2nd year in the system, the training wheels will come off and he won't be so reliant on McVay and the credit will come. But last year, credit really should go to McVay IMO.

by Hacksaw
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

If McV get's the credit for Goff's ascendance, then Fisher should be the excuse for Goff's failure to launch.

Crappolo seems to be the reason why the benigniners started winning. Wilson has been the reason the Hags had been winning. McV seems like the reason the Rams started winning. It's really no wonder Jared gets so little credit , , so far.

From the appearances matter file, Goff still looks like a skinny little kid.

by /zn/
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote: McV seems like the reason the Rams started winning. It's really no wonder Jared gets so little credit , , so far.

McVay's a good coach. Goff's a good qb. They're a good combination. There's nothing unusual about that in football.

A good coach needs players. Which is why the union in 2017 of a good coach and a talented roster worked. As a rule first year turnarounds don't happen unless there's talent already on hand.

I said the same thing about K.Shanahan before he started winning, just from a different perspective. Good coach, did not have the players. Give him a qb who can play and all of a sudden they win more.

by Hacksaw
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

/zn/ wrote:McVay's a good coach. Goff's a good qb. They're a good combination. There's nothing unusual about that in football.

A good coach needs players. Which is why the union in 2017 of a good coach and a talented roster worked. As a rule first year turnarounds don't happen unless there's talent already on hand.

I said the same thing about K.Shanahan before he started winning, just from a different perspective. Good coach, did not have the players. Give him a qb who can play and all of a sudden they win more.

The context of my quote was in reference to why our good QB doen't get much love outside LA.

by /zn/
5 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:The context of my quote was in reference to why our good QB doen't get much love outside LA.

IMO.

Probably because no one in the national media watches every game so they did not see enough Rams games to know. My bet is most national talking heads could not even tell you what Goff's strengths are at this point. If a lot of them saw any one game it would be the Atlanta game, and that was not one of Goff's best games.

In fact the Rams, probably because they're still generally young were not completely up to standard in their toughest games, when they played teams with both good offenses and good defenses. That includes Jax, Minn, N.O., Phil, and Atlanta. They went 2-3 in those games and the point differential was Rams 21.6 v. opponents 26. Goff wasn't the only reason they went 2-3 in those games but still, he has to be tougher in those kinds of games too.

So my guess is, being tougher in those kinds of games will come with seasoning. And when more people see them play better in games like that there will be more recognition.

Just my take.

by aeneas1
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:Probably a factor.
I'd take out the Saints and Philly game, personally.
NO
Jared Goff 28/43 354 8.2 2 1 4-27 61.6 96.5
Phil
Jared Goff 16/26 199 7.7 2 0 2-1 29.4 110.9

it's not like the niners got a bunch of national coverage, yet it hasn't stopped the talking heads from slobbering all over him, and don't get me started with jameis, it seems that only now, finally, folks are pumping he breaks on the guy... i think the rams were just so downright awful offensively with fisher at the helm, that it was difficult for many to grasp just how bad the sitch was, just easier, and sexier, to call the first overall pick a bust.

by /zn/
5 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:Probably a factor.
I'd take out the Saints and Philly game, personally.
NO
Jared Goff 28/43 354 8.2 2 1 4-27 61.6 96.5
Phil
Jared Goff 16/26 199 7.7 2 0 2-1 29.4 110.9

I wouldn't put the Phil game up as one in which the Rams should have caught the full attention of national media types. Goff doesn't come through in the clutch in that game. Up by just one point in the final ten minutes they had a chance to put the game away and get the sack/fumble at 8:26 left. They get the ball back down by 2 with 3:45 left, and do nothing (3 and out).

I wouldn't put that game on Goff. The defense should have held at the end. But if you're not watching many Rams games and turn in to that one, you're not going to see Goff break through to the next level in that game. With the game on the line at the end they don't come through.

Even when they won against the Jagz JG was 11 of 21 for 124 yards. Special teams scored 20 of their 27 points that game.

So of those 5 games, a young team went 2-3. In those 5 games Goff played well overall in 1--New Orleans. The offense sputters at the end of the Eagles game, they struggled some in the Jagz game, and same with the Vikes and Falcons games.

The national press doesn;'t know the team like we do, so they have no reason to expect Goff to take another stride forward, along with the rest of the offense. We know that as a more seasoned team they will be tougher in games like that in their 2nd year in the offense. But...we saw every game. So we can put all that in context.

The nationals can just shrug right now and wait to see if that actually happens, and chances are they will pay attention when it does happen.

by aeneas1
5 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:"Jimmy G is a winner".... just remember he was hyped for years in NE, so it was already ordained that he was going to be a star. Goff's early exposure was awful, people really don't like going against their initial judgements.
Winston? He's confusing... but the stupid fight shit doesn't make me think he's got what it takes.

no doubt jg's years with the pats has contributed to his lofty reputation, heck i remember when matt flynn was the super stud, thanks in large part to playing for the perpetual double-digit win packers, of course the seahawks never gave him a chance after shelling out for him.

by /zn/
5 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:Yeah... the Rams offense scored plenty against Philly.
I’m just not buying that one in there.

But they didn't score the winning score that would have sealed the game when they had the chance.

at 9 minutes to go it was looking like they would. With a lot on the line too at that point, including a chance to challenge for homefield in the playoffs.

But...no chicken dinner.

A more seasoned team looks better all game, and wins more of them, in games like that.

That's what we know that the nationals don't.

by aeneas1
5 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:I watched the game.

I disagree with it thrown in with the bunch.

The first season and offseason “worst draft pick” hype is the biggest factor, IMO.

I mean... his first national appearance of the season was pretty incredible.

you and everyone else... goff pulled the rams out of 7-21 hole, led the rams to 28 offensive points against the league's 5th ranked defense in offensive points allowed, and booked a 110.9 qb rating on the day... trying to marginalize his play is idiotic.

• 3 / 6
51 posts Mar 28 2024