48 posts
  • 1 / 5

if you can only keep 2 of the three, which 2 would you keep/sign?

Goff & Donald
66%
Goff & Gurley
25%
Donald & Gurley
9%
 by dieterbrock
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Ok, just for kicks, if you can only keep 2 of the three, which 2 would you keep/sign?

And why?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I get it, we want all 3...

by Haden
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   2131  
United States of America   Spokane, WA
RFU Survivor Champ

Goff is a no brainer because if you don't have a top tier QB, you're screwed. Anyone else can be replaced. I would go Goff and Gurley because Gurley is younger and backs hold up well through age 29. Donald would be a loss, but you can scheme around him and bring in guys who are 80% what he is.

by Hacksaw
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

If you'd ask me after this season when the jury is in on Goff, I'd be more comfortable.

At 1st blush, I keep the 2 offensive players as I think they will have longer careers. Also we have an offensive minded coach right now.

But if JG is mostly a product of McV, I could change my mind to AD and TGII as they are both so damn good and McV could probably do wonders with several QB's out there.

by CanuckRightWinger
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

I voted Goff & Donald.

As stated earlier, no matter how solid your team may look, you definitely need a top-flight QB, or you are not going to get to the dance.
One only needs to look at the labours & struggles of the late great Chuck Knox to confirm that principle. :idea2:

Regarding Aaron Donald's longevity and effectiveness....IMHO Donald is one of those generational NFL Defenders that comes along once in a Blue Moon....I think like a Merlin Olsen, Bob Lilly et al. I think Donald plays into his 30's and plays effectively.

Todd Gurley III is a great NFL RB right now. He has had one catastrophic knee injury during his College career. Also....RBs only need to lose that tiny "half-step" to go from the Penthouse to the outhouse in the NFL....think Shaun Alexander in Seattle.....or closer to home....Steven Jackson. A RB's career can be cut very short via injury....even generational guys like Gale Sayers, whose career was torpedoed by a perfectly legal hit from 49er CB Kermit Alexander....who later played for Los Ramos.

So for me....it's Goff and Donald as the keepers. :idea2:

by BobCarl
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   4283  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

I choose choice A and choice B ... choice C only leaves us with two players

Kidding aside... Even though Donald is the best player in the NFL... we could get a lot of good players for the money he will get.

I hope Snead will be able to Pay the Man

by snackdaddy
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   9631  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

This is how I see it. Goff is a no brainer. Without a quarterback you ain't going far. So I'll assume he's in. So it comes down to Gurley and Donald. In 2016 Gurley had a down year. They went 4-12 in that down year. In 2017 he had a terrific year. They went 11-5 in that terrific year.

In 2016 and 2017 Donald was great both years. But they only won 4 games in one of his great years. That tells me his position doesn't impact a game like Gurley's position. By virtue of that you gotta go offense. They say defense wins championships but you won't be playing for one without offense.

Hopefully all 3 will be with the Rams their whole careers and end up in the Hall of Fame as Rams.

by Elvis
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38377  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I haven't been able to come up with an answer yet:

Goff plays the most important position but is the least proven of the 3.
Gurley plays the position with the least longevity.
Donald is the most uniquely dominant player of the 3, a true generational talent but his position is probably the least important of the 3.

Still chewing on it...

by /zn/
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Well they were 4th in sacks last year because they schemed around having Donald. That means every offense they played geared everything around stopping him (unless people think opposing offenses feared Barwin and Longacre) and he STILL made plays.

In all NFL history there are only 3 DTs who went to the pro bowl each of their first 4 years -- Joe Greene, Merlin Olsen, and Donald. Of those three only one was also a 3 time 1st-team all-pro: Donald.

I would say the last player who was Donald's caliber was Warren Sapp, and I think Donald may have the edge there.

As much as I love Gurley, the Rams were tied for 7th last year in terms of yards per carry (4.3). Of the other 9 teams that were also top 10 at YPC, only 1 other had a high-picked dominant back of that caliber--Dallas. So that's 8 other teams without a guy like that that did as well or better running the ball. Heck the Eagles did not even have a 1000 yard rusher.

Meanwhile, with Donald, you add an edge pass-rusher to the Rams defense and it becomes one of the best in their entire history.

by Flash
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1203  
United States of America   Houston
Pro Bowl

Goff for sure. QB is just too important of a position with touching the ball on just about every offensive play.

I'd give the nod to Donald as second choice. He is frankly the best at his position (Gurley may or may not be) and has an effect on a game like no other DT in football.

by aeneas1
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

yeah, long term it's all about the qb, he will always be in the keep category (over everyone else) if he's good, hopefully goff proves to be that guy... donald? a once in a generation freak, but what kind of noise did suh's teams make?

• 1 / 5
48 posts Mar 28 2024