5 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by aeneas1
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

a nice looking collectable up for auction, an early 70s game used rams helmet, yours for $360 including buyer's premium, at least at the moment, 2 days remaining, will most likely go up... you'd be hard-pressed to find a rams player from that era (or any era) who sported the style of facemask that's attached to the offering (an xl job schutt mask - the green dot on the facemask indicates size xl, jop stands for jaw and oral protection), but you could easily remove the facemask and list it on ebay, it would most likely fetch at least $100, and then fit the helmet with a more common mask...

https://sports.ha.com/itm/football/circ ... ion-071515

01.jpg

by aeneas1
5 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Yeah, what up with that face mask?

it's a great mask, originally used mostly by linebackers, think dick butkus, but it later became popular among some qbs thanks to broadway joe, who sported one to protect his jaw after it was broken in a raiders game, and continued to sport a version of it throughout the remainder of his career - lots of young, budding qbs loved the look, at the high school and college level, guys like dan marino, steve young, jeff george, jim mcmahon, etc...

01.jpg

by moklerman
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:it's a great mask, originally used mostly by linebackers, think dick butkus, but it later became popular among some qbs thanks to broadway joe, who sported one to protect his jaw after it was broken in a raiders game, and continued to sport a version of it throughout the remainder of his career - lots of young, budding qbs loved the look, at the high school and college level, guys like dan marino, steve young, jeff george, jim mcmahon, etc...

01.jpg
I was going to say, wouldn't it be something if it was Namath's helmet from '77? Even I'd fork up $100 for something like that(which would be a steal, I know).

The only helmet I've got is a pretty nice replica(mid-80's style) signed by Ferragamo. Bought it online though and didn't actually get to meet him.

by aeneas1
5 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:I was going to say, wouldn't it be something if it was Namath's helmet from '77? Even I'd fork up $100 for something like that(which would be a steal, I know).

The only helmet I've got is a pretty nice replica(mid-80's style) signed by Ferragamo. Bought it online though and didn't actually get to meet him.

if the helmet was verifiably namath's actual rams gamer, it would fetch $5k+ at auction... re your helmet helmet, sounds great, helmets are great pieces of memorabilia to own, they're just fun to look at, altho they do take up space!

speaking of namath's helmet, a decade ago one of the top auction houses got their hands on what they believed was namath's "i guarantee it!" super bowl game used helmet, complete with namath's signature that implied as much, and loads of additional provenance, the auction house was set to start the bidding at $50k.

everyone in the sports memorabilia world went bonkers over this find, it was a dead ringer and had the provenance to back it up, one sports memorabilia trade publication wrote:

-----------

A gift Joe Namath promised to a young fan turned out to be a Hall of Fame-worthy artifact.

Heritage Auction Galleries’ Sports Collectibles division will present the helmet worn by Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Namath during his heroic Super Bowl III underdog victory in their upcoming May 3rd Signature Auction to be held in Dallas, Texas. Bidding starts at $50,000.

“This is arguably the most significant football artifact ever to reach the auction block,” said Chris Ivy, Director of Heritage Auction Galleries’ Sports Collectibles division. “It’s a key piece from one of professional football’s most celebrated and inspirational games, worn by one of America’s most beloved sports figures.”

-----------

problem is it wasn't namath's game used super bowl helmet, and most likely never worn by namath, news i had to break to the auction house, and they were forced to pull it.

01.JPG

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/showthr ... bf628a6c3e

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/n ... o-be-sold/

• 1 / 1
5 posts Mar 29 2024