44 posts
  • 3 / 5
 by /zn/
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:So great coaching? Who'd a thunk it?

So your idea is that in that clip, Orlovsky was praising McVay's coaching.

Interesting.

What a unique perspective.

I wonder if anyone else saw it that way,

I thought what he was saying was, if you want to demonstrate that you're a petty stalker, get into a meaningless obsessive internet fight over a minor issue, of the kind that can be easily dismissed, and make sure you post several times or it won't be quite as petty.

8-)

by Hacksaw
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

/zn/ wrote:I thought what he was saying was, if you want to demonstrate that you're a petty stalker, get into a meaningless obsessive internet fight over a minor issue, of the kind that can be easily dismissed, and make sure you post several times or it won't be quite as petty. ...

He was right? 8-)

by Elvis
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38381  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

aeneas1 wrote:amen.

and, finally, a competent passing team, a team that's not afraid to throw the ball, not afraid attack the bad guys through the air... here's where the rams ranked in pass % on 1st down, for quarters 1 through 3 (can't include the 4th qtr because score/clock dictates play calling so much, i.e. if you have a lead in the 4th you tend to run a lot on 1st down, and vice versa):

2017 - 6th
2016 - 29th
2015 - 31st
2014 - 26th
2013 - 31st
2012 - 23rd

:shock2:

I remember when throwing on first down was considered pretty radical...

by moklerman
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:I remember when throwing on first down was considered pretty radical...
Well into the '80's it wasn't even a given that a pass would happen on 3rd and long! Especially if you were watching the Rams.

by Elvis
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38381  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

moklerman wrote:Well into the '80's it wasn't even a given that a pass would happen on 3rd and long! Especially if you were watching the Rams.

When John Robinson was coach if we thew an incomplete on 1st down, it was 100% we'd run on 2nd...

by dieterbrock
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:Cooley said at first he was skeptical when McV was promoted to position coach at such a young age.

Lol. Of course that is NOT what he said, when you remove the spin doctoring.
What he DID say was:
"This 24-year-old kid came in and knew everything about the offense, and everything about everything," Cooley said. "I learned more about football than I had in my entire career in four weeks."

by PARAM
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   12185  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:So your idea is that in that clip, Orlovsky was praising McVay's coaching.

Interesting.

What a unique perspective.

I wonder if anyone else saw it that way,

I thought what he was saying was, if you want to demonstrate that you're a petty stalker, get into a meaningless obsessive internet fight over a minor issue, of the kind that can be easily dismissed, and make sure you post several times or it won't be quite as petty.

8-)

LOL!! You're one of a kind!!! Well not really. You're of one kind. You accuse folks of picking on minutia yet you use it all the time. But in your mind that's just demonstrating your ability to frame an argument or demonstrate a POV. You accuse people of stalking when it seems your sole purpose on the internet is to be stalked. It's attention, something you crave; something you need like a junkie needs a shot. And like the petulent child, it doesn't matter if it's good attention or bad attention. Attention is attention; food for the ego, a considerably large and hungry one in your case. You're need to be the smartest guy in the room is borderline psychotic.

by moklerman
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:When John Robinson was coach if we thew an incomplete on 1st down, it was 100% we'd run on 2nd...
As beloved as John Robinson is by Rams fans, I was so ready to move on from his coaching style. The 49ers at the time were introducing a high-efficiency, high-octane, high-scoring offense that seemed to obviously be the future and the Rams were still trudging along with student body left, student body right.

Zampese opened things up and to his credit, Robinson adapted but he was conservative to the core IMO and was always going to be a bride's maid and never the bride when it came to post season games. He was much like Fisher in his approach. Solid in a lot of areas like defense, running game and special teams but not excellent in any area or able to consistently score points, as well as struggling against good teams.

by Horny Mcbae
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1543  
United States of America   South Bay, Los Angeles
Pro Bowl

I think this about sums it up.

by /zn/
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:.

Zampese opened things up and to his credit, Robinson adapted

Well to be fair Robinson deliberately hired Zampese to do exactly what Zampese did do. That was a calculated choice. They moved on from being a Dickerson team without a qb to being an Everett team built around the passing game. That is what Robinson deliberately set out to do.

So in 88 they were 3rd in total offense, 3rd in passing yards, and 3rd in yards per attempt; and in 89 they were 4th in total offense, 4th in passing yards and 2nd in yards per attempt.

Robinson did not just "adapt." He made a deliberate effort to change the offense around in order to take advantage of Everett.

IMO the big difference was not having a qb (83-86) and having a qb (87-91).

BTW Martz credits Zampese for teaching him the Coryell offense. Martz was an assistant under EZ with the Rams from 92-93 though that was with Knox as the HC.

• 3 / 5
44 posts Mar 28 2024