44 posts
  • 2 / 5
 by Horny Mcbae
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1543  
United States of America   South Bay, Los Angeles
Pro Bowl

RamsFanSince89 wrote:When talking to other non Ram fans, they tend to discredit Goff. Meaning Derek Carr and Wentz are "great" QBs but Goff is just a "good" QB with a phenomenal coach. I'd prefer that they say Goff is great too, but as long as we're winning, I can go along with it.

Same.

Let Jimmy have all the GQ covers. Let Goff have the Ws and we are perfectly OK with that.

Jared doesn't have an attention whore personality anyway. And he's had really good education about culture since Fisher left. We not me starts with him and he understand that.

by PARAM
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   12186  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Never mind whether Orlovsky is a homer, whether he called McVay a genius or what a night and day difference the Rams are with McVay vs. Fisher. The things I found interestingly amusing was the facts he submitted and his comparisons......

"Goff has 5 guys and the lowest yards per catch was 12 ypc. It's like looking over the menu at the Cheesecake Factory....this looks good, that looks good, oh that looks good....."

and

"Multiple plays out of the same formation. McVay is like David Blaine, the master illusionist."

Master illusionist, genius....same freaking thing in my book.

As far as what "they" say about Goff (vs. guys like Wentz, etc) it doesn't concern me in the least. So long as they say "winner" I don't care about the rest.

by aeneas1
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:"Multiple plays out of the same formation. McVay is like David Blaine, the master illusionist."

Master illusionist, genius....same freaking thing in my book.

don't forget "brilliant"....

"i remember our first offensive meeting, sean doing some installation, and then he starts talking football.... and i leaned over to jared and go, bud, you have no idea how luck you are, this guy's brilliant...."

of course who really knows what danny meant? :D

by Claremontram
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   226  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

Multiple plays out of the same formation is what drives this offense and makes McVay and Goff so intriguing.

Good luck trying to stop us this season. Finally, a Rams offense we can all look forward to watching instead of cringing at the predictable play calling.

This will be poetry in motion.

by /zn/
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:don't forget "brilliant"....

"i remember our first offensive meeting, sean doing some installation, and then he starts talking football.... and i leaned over to jared and go, bud, you have no idea how luck you are, this guy's brilliant...."

of course who really knows what danny meant? :D

That's not the first time Orlovsky told the story. What he meant was, the offense was designed to be very qb friendly in its design and reads, and McVay was unusually good at explaining it. It's not just play design, it's communication.

Orlovsky had played for Kubiak, who had 11 top 5 offenses on his resume as both a head coach and a coordinator. Actually 2 of those were ranked #1. So he had seen smart offensive coaching before obviously.

To Orlovsky, what made Goff lucky was to have a coach who designed plays so that the qb could execute easily and who could explain things so clearly and in such detail.

It's the same thing Chris Cooley said about McV when Sean was Chris's TE coach.

Former Redskins tight end Chris Cooley played one and a half seasons under McVay.

“He had the highest understanding of an offense of any position coach I’ve ever been around,” Cooley said. “We’d go back and forth in meetings on scheme, why and how. There was always an answer. I love that in a coach.

“Two years ago I said if anyone becomes a head coach on this staff it would be Sean McVay.”

Cooley said at first he was skeptical when McV was promoted to position coach at such a young age.

Four games remained in the Redskins' season. Chris Cooley, by that point one of the game's most productive tight ends, quickly became uneasy about what would follow. His new position coach would be Embree's assistant, a 24-year-old named Sean McVay, and Cooley was skeptical.

It took one day to reverse that.

"This 24-year-old kid came in and knew everything about the offense, and everything about everything," Cooley said. "I learned more about football than I had in my entire career in four weeks."

Cooley began to see the game from a wider scope and quickly developed an admiration for McVay, even though the coach was four years younger and had never played an NFL snap. In the 2011 opener, Cooley broke the franchise record for receptions by a tight end and gifted McVay the football. Today, Cooley credits McVay for the way he sees the game.

"His ability to understand the game from every aspect -- fronts, coverages, line play, checks, from top to bottom -- is uncanny," Cooley, now a member of the Redskins' radio broadcast team, said in a phone conversation Saturday, the day after McVay was introduced as the Los Angeles Rams' head coach. "To understand it in that way and to speak it the way he speaks it, it’s just a love thing. You have to spend unlimited time doing it. And it has to be what you love. When you talk to him, when I talk to him, you just hear it in his voice. You see it."

by aeneas1
5 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

Claremontram wrote:Multiple plays out of the same formation is what drives this offense and makes McVay and Goff so intriguing.

Good luck trying to stop us this season. Finally, a Rams offense we can all look forward to watching instead of cringing at the predictable play calling.

This will be poetry in motion.

amen.

and, finally, a competent passing team, a team that's not afraid to throw the ball, not afraid attack the bad guys through the air... here's where the rams ranked in pass % on 1st down, for quarters 1 through 3 (can't include the 4th qtr because score/clock dictates play calling so much, i.e. if you have a lead in the 4th you tend to run a lot on 1st down, and vice versa):

2017 - 6th
2016 - 29th
2015 - 31st
2014 - 26th
2013 - 31st
2012 - 23rd

:shock2:

by moklerman
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:amen.

and, finally, a competent passing team, a team that's not afraid to throw the ball, not afraid attack the bad guys through the air... here's where the rams ranked in pass % on 1st down, for quarters 1 through 3 (can't include the 4th qtr because score/clock dictates play calling so much, i.e. if you have a lead in the 4th you tend to run a lot on 1st down, and vice versa):

2017 - 6th
2016 - 29th
2015 - 31st
2014 - 26th
2013 - 31st
2012 - 23rd

:shock2:
C'mon now, be fair. Those 5 years of rankings were just 2,385 unlucky plays in row that forced Fisher into running the ball. ;)

by aeneas1
5 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:C'mon now, be fair. Those 5 years of rankings were just 2,385 unlucky plays in row that forced Fisher into running the ball. ;)

his hands were tied, there was nothing he could do about it, had no say in draft picks, oc hires, play calling, personnel, etc... plus, as you say, he was only given 5 years...

column 1 - passing yards per drop-back rankings
column 2 - passing 1st downs per drop-back rankings
column 3 - passing 1st downs per 3rd down drop-back rankings

01.png

by ramsman34
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   8463  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Go back and watch all the throws and the plays "off schedule" Goff makes. He has an absolute shit ton of Montana in him. And, as much as I hate the whiners, being Joe-esque is a damn good thing.

by PARAM
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   12186  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:That's not the first time Orlovsky told the story. What he meant was, the offense was designed to be very qb friendly in its design and reads, and McVay was unusually good at explaining it. It's not just play design, it's communication.

So great coaching? Who'd a thunk it? But we shouldn't put a moniker like genius or illusionist on it? My Lord, what is your point?

• 2 / 5
44 posts Mar 29 2024