11 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by RamsFanSince82
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   5851  
United States of America   So. Cal.
Hall of Fame

The 2018 NFL Draft has been complete for two weeks, but with the Rams’ offseason program schedule, the club’s rookies just arrived in Southern California on Monday.

The draft picks and college free agents will now get integrated into the Phase II of Los Angeles’ offseason program, while also going through the team’s rookie success program.

As the newest Rams saw their lockers for the first time, therams.com caught up with a few rookies to get their first impressions. Here are some of their best quotes.

OL JOSEPH NOTEBOOM
What has this day been like for you? Do you finally feel like a Ram?
Yeah, people always ask, ‘When is it going to set in?’ I said, ‘Not until I get there.’ And that was definitely right — just seeing this locker room, it’s finally setting in.

What was it like getting drafted and then having a two-week waiting period?
All the coaches advice was just to stay in shape because right when you get there, you’re going right into practice. So it’s just kind of waiting, and anxiousness, and excitement.

When you get the call that the Rams have drafted you, what was it like for you emotionally?
It’s like all your hard work that you’ve put in for over a decade just paying off in that one moment, that one phone call. And it’s overwhelming. And it doesn’t set in right away — it didn’t set in until now for me. So it’s amazing.

OL BRIAN ALLEN
How did you spend the last two weeks?
The same way I spent the last couple months, really — just working out, hanging out at home. It’s really the first time since high school I’ve been home that long, so good to be home with my family for a little and just hang out in my home town, and work out, and get ready for this.

What are you looking forward to the most about being here now?
Just getting to work, really. Getting into the playbook. We got that sent to us a couple weeks ago, so [I’ve been] digging into that on my own. Kind of just getting into the O-line room and start learning as much as I can. Really, just get here and start earning my role on this team. And I’m excited for it.

What do you anticipate these next couple days and weeks will be like in the offseason program?
I can think of stuff, but it’s my first time being in the NFL and being in this environment. So I’m sure I’ll have an idea, but something completely new will come tomorrow and for weeks to come. So just looking forward to it and getting ready to work.

DE JOHN FRANKLIN-MYERS
What was it like seeing your locker for the first time?
I don’t want to say a dream come true, because nothing’s set in stone yet. But it’s exciting. It’s a stepping stone that’s something I’ve been waiting on my whole life. And I’m excited to get started. That’s all I can say — I’m excited.

We heard you say you were looking for a Rams shirt in Texas but couldn’t find one — are you glad to get one now?
Oh yeah, finally. I’ve been looking for the last two weeks. You get drafted and you want to put on a hat or something after. But we looked all over and there was nothing. So finally I got some stuff. Hopefully I can send a shirt or something back to my family.

LB MICAH KISER
What has this day been like, your first day as an L.A. Ram?
A long day of travel — came all the way from Baltimore, so about a six-hour flight. And I’ve been going ever since — physicals, getting equipment stuff done. And it’s awesome just getting around rookie guys. And you can feel kind of the anxiousness but at the same time a lot of excitement. So just ready to get to work.

What are you looking forward to the most now that you’ve arrived?
Just getting in with the team and earning a role. I’m one of those guys who will do whatever it takes to make a team. So I’m just coming in here to compete and lead the way I do. And, hopefully, win a Super Bowl with these guys.

OLB OBO OKORONKWO
What is it like to see your locker for the first time?
It’s amazing, man. It’s just something that you just know a lot of people don’t get to experience — having your name up here in an NFL locker room, it’s crazy.

Is it emotional for you at all?
Very. It’s really overwhelming, honestly — when I looked up and saw [my nameplate] and actually got to touch it. It was a whole different feeling.

What did you think when the Rams drafted you?
It’s a dream come true. There’s so much I can learn from [Ndamukong] Suh and [Aaron] Donald. And just being in the game while those two guys are in the game — a couple sacks are going to fall in your lap when you’re playing with those guys, you know? So it’s an edge rusher’s dream playing here.

RB JOHN KELLY
What was your initial thought after the Rams selected you?
I was excited. I was happy. This is my first time being out in California, so it was going to be a new experience for me. And then to play under a guy like Todd [Gurley] — I’m coming into a good situation where I can learn as much as I can from him. And it’s a good program here. So I’m excited to see what the future holds for us.

You’ve been smiling since you walked in the door. Are you always that way?
Yeah, I’m happy to be here. I’m happy to be here. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me. Coming from where I came from, it was a long journey to get here. So I can’t do anything but smile. I mean, when I get on the field, it’s a little different. But as of right now, I’m all smiles for sure.

by Elvis
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38376  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/ ... d307cfedd1

Rams Complete 2018 Rookie Class, Waive Rogers and Tillery

Myles Simmons
Rams Insider
@MylesASimmons

Los Angeles has made a few more roster moves as the team begins to integrate its rookies into Phase II of the offseason program.

The Rams have officially signed a pair of free agents: defensive tackle Dalton Keene and safety Charles Williams.

As corresponding roster moves, the club has waived fullback Sam Rogers and running back Lenard Tillery. A sixth-round pick in 2017, Rogers spent last season on the Rams’ practice squad and was signed to a futures contract at the beginning of the calendar year. Tillery landed on injured reserve at the beginning of September.

Keene first made a name for himself as an impressive high school pass catcher, before switching to the defensive line in his sophomore season at Illinois State. Since then, the defensive lineman has amassed more than 200 tackles, including 33.0 for loss and 17.5 sacks. He finished 2017 as an FCS All-American and the Missouri Valley Conference Defensive Player of the Year.

More commonly known as “Chucky,” Williams stepped into a starting role for Louisville in 2015 and from that point forward was one of the key leaders of the secondary. Last season was particularly impressive for the safety, as he posted 80 tackles, three interceptions, five pass breakups and three forced fumbles. The Louisville product will also join a familiar face with the Rams, reuniting with former teammate Trevon Young.

With Keene and Williams, the Rams’ 2018 rookie class is complete with 11 draft picks and 16 college free agents. Below is the full list of Los Angeles’ UDFAs.

LaQuvionte Gonzalez | WR | Southeastern
Nick Holley | RB | Kent State*
Ricky Jeune | WR | Georgia Tech
Dalton Keene | DT | Illinois State
Jeremiah Kolone | OL | San Jose State
Afolabi Laguda | DB | Colorado
Codey McElroy | TE | Southeastern Oklahoma State
Curtis Mikell | CB | Southern Miss
Steven Mitchell | WR | Southern California
McKay Murphy | DT | Weber State
Steven Parker | DB | Oklahoma
Luis Perez | QB | Texas A&M-Commerce*
Ramon Richards | CB | Oklahoma State
Tegray Scales | LB | Indiana
Chuck Williams | DB | Louisville
Brian Womac | DE | Rice*

*Denotes tryout player

by aeneas1
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

by Elvis
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38376  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... mpaign=nfl

PFF 2018 NFL Draft Recap - Los Angeles Rams

BY PFF ANALYSIS TEAM • MAY 16, 2018

Mar 14, 2018; Stillwater, OK, USA; Oklahoma linebacker Ogbonnia Okoronkwo participates in drills during Pro Day at Everestt Training Center. Mandatory Credit: Mark D. Smith-USA TODAY Sports

Though the Los Angeles Rams’ brass traded away significant draft capital to bring in some highly regarded veterans (i.e. Brandin Cooks, Marcus Peters) this offseason, general manager Les Snead and his team still walked away from the 2018 NFL Draft with valuable additions on Days 2 and 3.

Former TCU offensive tackle Joseph Noteboom, the Rams’ only pick on Day 2 of the draft, ranked 16th among qualifying draft-eligible offensive tackles in pass-blocking efficiency (97.9) and earned an 88.0 pass-rush grade in 2017. Where he struggles is in the run game, as Noteboom earned sub-71.9 run-block grades in all four of his years with the Horned Frogs.

Los Angeles opted for the defensive side of the ball on three of their first four selections on Day 3, adding edge defenders John Franklin-Myers and Ogbonnia Okoronkwo and former Virginia linebacker Micah Kiser in Rounds 4 and 5.

Our fourth-ranked edge in the 2018 class, Oklahoma’s Okoronkwo earned an 87.5 overall grade in 2017, racking up 47 total pressures and a career-high 46 defensive stops in the process. At 6-foot-2, 253 pounds, Okoronkwo is a skilled athlete with high-end potential in both pass-rushing and coverage roles at the next level.

Kiser is a bit more one-dimensional than Okoronkwo in that he plays the run much better than he does the pass. He contrasted a career-high 83.8 run-defense grade with a career-low 43.0 coverage grade in 2017. He likely projects as a two-down run defender in Los Angeles’ defense.

Of the Rams’ remaining six picks in Rounds 6 and 7, former Tennessee running back John Kelly and SMU edge Justin Lawler are two projects that could yield positive results down the road if they’re able to properly develop. Kelly improved his grades every year of his career with the Volunteers and could continue that trend if he can turn the peaks in his game into more consistent occurrences. And Lawler earned a career-high 90.7 overall grade in 2017 to cap off three years of excellent grading with the Mustangs.

• 1 / 2
11 posts Mar 28 2024