Total posts:   38376  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/ ... e6b0fbcf83

Peters, Talib Are Everything and More Than Rams Expected

Kristen Lago
Rams Writer/Reporter
@kristennlago

When the Rams acquired cornerbacks Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters this offseason, head coach Sean McVay knew the team possessed two of the league’s most elite pass defenders.

Though neither had yet participated in any team activities and were both coming into new environments, McVay remained confident that the cornerback duo would benefit the defense in the long run.

“There’s really no limitations for what these guys have the ability to do,” he said at the onset of the free agency period. “They will clearly make us better on the backend [and] I’m glad they are on our team.”

And three weeks into the Rams 2018 offseason program, Peters and Talib have been everything and more than the club expected — both on the field and in the classroom.

“Their movement skills are excellent,” defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said recently. “And then we get to work individual drills with them right now on the field. They move like we thought they could move. You know of course Talib is familiar with the defense, but Marcus is really smart and he’s fit in real well too.”

The Rams are currently in Phase II of their offseason program, allowing coaches to work with players in on-field drills, in addition to the work put in through positional meetings. Later this month, the club will usher in Phase III — where teams may conduct OTA’s and other team-oriented drills.

As Los Angeles continues through the offseason and into training camp, Peters and Talib will undoubtedly become more and more comfortable with the team’s defensive scheme. And with the regular season on the horizon, Phillips said he is looking forward to all that the cornerbacks will bring to the table.

“We picked up two elite corners, two number one corners we should call them,” he said. “Both of them are lead guys. You like to have a No. 1 corner, a No. 2, and maybe even a No. 3. But we have two number ones, so, I think we’re in good position to go forward with those guys.”

by Legends
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   162  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

Would be surprised if every linebacker in the country wouldn't like to play between our defensive line and backfield. My if he was just decent he could become an all-pro between that group.

by Elvis
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38376  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

BTW, with the addition of Talib, Cooks and Suh, i sometimes forget about Peters. He's old news. But even if he was the only addition this off season, we'd have good cause to be jacked...

by sloramfan
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1581  
United States of America   cen coast cal
Pro Bowl

I’m honestly more jacked about Peters than the others..

I think it’s the ridiculous talent,combined with the “he’s a problem” that intriges me..

I’m rooting for him like a mutha...

Go rams

Slo

by RedAlice
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   6596  
United States of America   Dallas, Texas
Hall of Fame

Someone asked me if I was happy with Rams draft today.

I said, well let’s back up. It’s the whole off season.

Mentioned Talib and Peters. Awesome.

Then I membered we added the WR from the Pats. Even better.

Few minutes pass. Me: oh, fuck Rams added Suh too.

by PARAM
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   12181  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

RedAlice wrote:Someone asked me if I was happy with Rams draft today.

I said, well let’s back up. It’s the whole off season.

Mentioned Talib and Peters. Awesome.

Then I membered we added the WR from the Pats. Even better.

Few minutes pass. Me: oh, fuck Rams added Suh too.

:D

Legends wrote:Would be surprised if every linebacker in the country wouldn't like to play between our defensive line and backfield. My if he was just decent he could become an all-pro between that group.

Maybe we have 1 or 2 already on the roster?

by Elmgrovegnome
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   624  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

This is the best off season that I remember in a long time.

People in my neck of the woods are already making an excuse if the Rams beat the Eagles this year. They are saying the Rams are trying to buy the Superbowl. Thing is, they needed corners and traded draft picks to get two of the best. They needed a deep threat and traded a draft pick to get one. Who did they buy? Such and Shields. That is a mild free agency compared to many teams.

by Hacksaw
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Elmgrovegnome wrote:People in my neck of the woods are already making an excuse if the Rams beat the Eagles this year. They are saying the Rams are trying to buy the Superbowl. Thing is, they needed corners and traded draft picks to get two of the best. They needed a deep threat and traded a draft pick to get one. Who did they buy? Such and Shields. That is a mild free agency compared to many teams.

That's the sound of fear and envy rolled into 1 big sour grape.

And it's not like the Eagles didn't do a very similar thing last year.

• 1 / 1
8 posts Mar 28 2024