6 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by JonArnett
5 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   15  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Undrafted Free Agent

Can anyone explain why linebackers are less important in Wade Phillips defense than in the standard 4-3 defense? With more linebackers, it seems they would be more important.

by AltiTude Ram
5 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   2178  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

I think it has more to do with the salary structure of the NFL. OLB is a big position in Wade's defense but scheme fit and salary played a major role in trading Quinn.

As far as ILB, you can cycle through cheaper options and pay CB's instead.

JMO but salary cap plays a big part into where you spend the money on positions of importance.

I heard a suggestion on a podcast recently that McVay might be a coach that could cycle through QB's at a low cost every 4 to 5 years. I'm not sure I agree but it's an original thought for sure.

by Elvis
5 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   38448  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Not that this answers your question but seems like a good spot for this article from the Rams site:

http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/ ... 03d9d7512c

Rams Feel Good About Depth at Linebacker

Kristen Lago
Rams Writer/Reporter
@kristennlago

Heading into this year’s NFL Draft, linebacker was a major position of need for the Rams.

This offseason, the club traded its starting edge defender Robert Quinn to the Dolphins. Starting middle linebacker Alec Ogletree was then traded to the Giants and starting outside linebacker Connor Barwin remains an unsigned free agent. Inside linebacker Mark Barron is the last remaining starter of the group on the team’s roster from 2017 — leaving three slots likely open for the next season.

But despite the large holes on defense, coordinator Wade Phillips said he was confident about the club’s depth at the position.

“We lost two outside backers and one inside backer who were starters,” Phillips told therams.com. “So, it’s opening places for guys to step up and play. And I think some of these guys that we got were added to help us. I’m looking forward to that, but we [do] feel good about where we are.”

The group Phillips was referring to includes outside linebackers Ogbonnia Okoronkwo and Trevon Young, as well as inside linebackers Micah Kiser and Travin Howard.

“I think you look at it and you like some of the depth that you’re able to create with some guys that can play on the edge,” head coach Sean McVay said recently. “Then you add interior players that can do some different things and allow us to be a bit more versatile at some of those spots and add some depth.”

Kiser has been talked about as one of the rookies with the best chances at making an early impact on the defense. The Virginia product led the ACC in tackles for three consecutive seasons, recording 33.5 tackles for loss, 19.0 sacks, and eight forced fumbles along the way.

“Micah has an opportunity to fit in, I mean we lost our MIKE linebacker,” Phillips said. “We lost our leading

tackler, so hopefully he can come in and step into those shoes, which are big shoes for a young guy.”

“But he’s got all the talent,” he continued. “I mean hey, those are great things going in and I think it’ll take him a little time, but we feel like he was a really good fit for us.”

All four rookies will join a linebacker room that already includes Samson Ebukam, Matt Longacre, Cory Littleton, Bryce Hager, Ejuan Price, Garrett Sickels, Carlos Thompson and recently signed Ramik Wilson. Of the group, Ebukam, Longacre, and Littleton have the most game experience, combining for 1,007 snaps in 2017.

All together — with some significant contributors from last season and a couple of promising newcomers — the Rams linebacker group includes several viable options for 2018.

“We [definitely] have some guys on the team that can come through for us,” Phillips said. “It’s going to play out, but I feel good about it right now. We have some talent.”

by AltiTude Ram
5 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   2178  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

Oh and welcome to the board.

Nice first post!

by /zn/
5 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

JonArnett wrote:Can anyone explain why linebackers are less important in Wade Phillips defense than in the standard 4-3 defense? With more linebackers, it seems they would be more important.

But...no one said they're less important.

by /zn/
5 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

AltiTude Ram wrote:
As far as ILB, you can cycle through cheaper options and pay CB's instead.

Traditionally Wade has used solid role players at ILB. He uses them as 2-down players and loads up on 4 DL/nickel packages on passing downs.

In 2016, with the Denver defense, ILB Todd Davis was an undrafted free agent. In the 2015 superbowl, the 2 ILBs were Danny Trevathan (6th round) and Brandon Marshall (5th round). In Houston in 2013 they were Joe Mays (6th round) and Darryl Sharpton (4th round). It;s the same if you keep going back.

The premium goes to OLB/edge rushers.

So it's not that LB is not important (Which you, Altitude, didn't say...just me making the point). OLB for Wade is very important. But he designs things so they can play with basically solid role players at ILB. It means you use the draft and free agency resources on CB and OLB.

Actually in Denver his DL was just solid, not special like in Houston and LA.

• 1 / 1
6 posts Apr 17 2024