289 posts
  • 14 / 29
 by LA_1968
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   70  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

"a uniform overhaul tends to be a multi-year process"

Come on. They can design and build a 3$ billion stadium in the same amount of time.

Why didn't they just go back to the same old 80's jerseys for day one back in LA? Then get an exemption from the league to roll out new unis when the stadium opens. Seems so obvious.

by Zen_Ronin
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   2036  
Canada   Edmonton, AB
Pro Bowl

The problem with not rolling the new Uni's out early and waiting for the stadium is that if the new Uni's are a dud, if the fans HATE them, then you've just tainted what would have been an outstanding event in it's own right. I've said it a few times, if the Rams petitioned for uniform changes any time close to the time they were ok'd for relocation (which common sense says they would have) then they would be ok for uniform changes THIS year. There have also been a few whispers from Rams insider beat reporters that the new design was finalized some time last year. So the whole "currently working with Nike" thing seems like a bs excuse. They could roll out new uni's now, and either they are a hit and the team continues it's momentum on and off the field (and why wouldn't you want to keep the hype train rolling in as many ways as you can), or they bomb with fans and now you have time to reapply for new uni's AGAIN and STILL have them in time for the opening of the stadium.

Personally, if I'm involved in this at all on the upper end of management, I'm pissed and embarrassed at how it's been handled, amateur hour. At the very least they could have applied and been using the Feragamo's full time by now.

It's honestly poor planning across the board. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Chargers have also asked for new Uni's to rebrand in LA, so now they get to steal some of that thunder? What if their uni's are unquestionably better the the Rams? Great, they get to live in our house and look better doing it. So many simple solutions to this issue overlooked or held back for some grand reveal witch has just as much chance of going badly as it does going right.

While this may be a secondary issue to the outcome on the field, to many it is still important. Image IS important. It's a reflection of how this team is being managed, and while last years record says everything is pointing in the right direction, the mishandling of the uniforms reeks of the incompetence of the SOSAR years.

by TomSlick
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   2907  
Italy   Many of us know the feeling of the universe conspiring to bring car and driver together.
Superstar

Can't wait to see what the RAMS brain trust comes up with regards to colors. I'd been assuming some shade of dark blue as the background for the horns on the helmet. What if they go a different direction...black? green? pink? turquoise?

Ah, I can feel the tension mounting...

by moklerman
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:There you go again.

What problems have they run in to?

The Rams have said repeatedly since the move that they intend to change to new uniforms when the new stadium opens.

That has never changed. And there are no problems i know of getting it done.

So what are you talking about?
They have literally blamed the league on multiple occasions so I'm not sure what you attribute that to.

by aeneas1
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:They have literally blamed the league on multiple occasions so I'm not sure what you attribute that to.

so it's your position that the rams, on their own, had no real uniform plan, and at the eleventh hour incompetently mucked things up trying to throw something together? that they have a proven track record when it comes to incompetence, and the current uniform sitch is just another example? and now they're pointing to the league, as they often do according to you, as a scapegoat?

by BuiltRamTough
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   5357  
Armenia   Los Angeles
Hall of Fame

I don’t get why everyone has different opinions on this uniform thing.

The plan was always to rebrand the year the stadium opens.

As far all the reports and Demoff quotes, he’s just buying time and trying to relax the fans.

He’s also dropping hints about the yellow and blue. He’s basically saying “we’re trying to get the nfl to let us wear throwbacks now bc that’s what the fans want”.

by Elvis
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38381  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

moklerman wrote:They have literally blamed the league on multiple occasions so I'm not sure what you attribute that to.

Just in case you're interested in having your facts straight, here's an article from a year ago:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-s ... story.html

Delay of new stadium opening could affect the rebranding of Rams, including uniforms

By GARY KLEIN
MAY 18, 2017 | 6:50 PM

Kevin Demoff is well aware of emotions surrounding the Rams’ uniforms.

The team’s chief operating officer and vice president of football operations fields more questions from fans about uniforms than perhaps any other topic, including quarterback Jared Goff and the planned $2.6-billion Inglewood stadium.

So uniforms were one of the major ancillary issues for fans in the wake of Thursday's news that the stadium's opening had been pushed back from 2019 to 2020, and that the Rams would continue to play in the Coliseum for three more seasons.

Fourteen months ago, Demoff told The Times, "Our focus has always been on introducing new uniforms the year we open a new stadium. That's the opportune time to shape your brand."

Now what?

Demoff said Thursday that the process with the NFL and uniform-maker Nike had begun and that the Rams are eligible to rebrand in 2019.

But it might not happen until 2020.

"That's a decision we'll make in the coming months as we look at the uniforms," Demoff said during a teleconference with a reporters. "But we will have the option of beginning a rebrand in 2019 or with the stadium in 2020."

The Rams returned to Los Angeles last season after more than two decades in St. Louis. Many fans were disappointed that that team stuck with the St. Louis ensemble that featured the colors blue, gold and white.

They pined for the blue and white uniforms of the mid-1960s, or the blue, yellow and white colors adopted in the '70s.

Demoff said in 2016 that the NFL required teams to submit permission to overhaul uniforms between January and March of a given year for implementation two years after that. So the Rams did not immediately seek permission to make changes.

But the Rams announced two months ago that they were modifying their home uniforms.

They will wear a navy blue helmet with white horns and a white face mask, and white pants emblazoned with a single navy blue stripe. The white jersey with St. Louis-era gold accents is expected to remain until the rebrand.

The NFL allows teams to wear so-called “throwback” uniforms twice a season. For the second season in a row, the Rams will wear the blue, yellow and white colors in home games against the Seattle Seahawks and the San Francisco 49ers.

by BuiltRamTough
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   5357  
Armenia   Los Angeles
Hall of Fame

Another thing, Demoff said that the fans will be involved in the uniform process.

What do you think is going to happen? The fans will choose yellow and blue.

by Elvis
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38381  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Oh, and just for fun, here's a uniform article from 2013:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 89dd4.html

Rams uniform change likely

By Jim Thomas
jthomas@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8197 Aug 14, 2013

Rams executive Kevin Demoff says a change in both the current uniform and throwback uniform for the team is possible, if not likely, in the not too distant future.

"I think at some time in the next five years, you’ll see a complete uniform — throwback and current uniform" — change, Demoff said. "I’d be surprised if we didn’t have it."

Fans seem to be obsessed with uniforms, and the recent announcement that the team would wear its 1999 throwbacks against Tennessee and Tampa Bay this season sparked another round of discussion. Both about the current uniforms and which throwback to use.

"Like everything else, you’re trying to elicit emotion from your fans, and our uniform colors seem to do that on a daily basis," said Demoff, the Rams’ executive vice president of football operations. "There’s not a day that goes by that there’s not a uniform question or comment on the Internet."

Teams are allowed to wear throwback uniforms at two home games each year. Choosing the Tennessee (Nov. 3) and Tampa Bay (Dec. 22) games for the ’99 throwback uniforms was a natural, given the fact that the Rams defeated Tampa Bay in the NFC championship game and then beat Tennessee in Super Bowl XXXIV that season.

"If you were looking for a throwback home ‘schedule,’ this was pretty obvious," Demoff said. "Even we couldn’t (mess) this one up."

By league rules, once a team chooses a particular throwback style, it must wear the same uniform for at least five consecutive seasons. In the case of the ’99 throwbacks, the Rams started wearing them in 2009.

"This is the fifth year," Demoff said.

But a lot of lead time is required in order to change throwbacks, and the deadline has passed to change the throwbacks for 2014.

"So if we choose to wear throwbacks in ’14, we have to wear these current throwbacks as well; 2015 right now would be the first time we could change our throwback — and we have to make the decision by the end of the year."

And Demoff doesn’t see that happening. If that’s the case, then 2016 becomes the first year the team could change throwbacks.

"One of the things we’ve talked about is if we’re gonna overhaul the current uniform, doing that in conjunction with the throwback change," Demoff said. "So basically you unveil all of your new uniforms at the same time rather than doing it piecemeal.

"A lot of discussion, a lot of thought has to go into the brand. But the thing that will make people passionate about these uniforms would be winning. People will love the all-blue look if we just won a few more games in them."

Demoff and the Rams get plenty of "advice" from fans about uniforms, be it throwbacks or the current uniform. For example, there always has been some sentiment for a return to the blue-and-white of the "Fearsome Foursome" days.

"I think the blue-and-white is a great traditional, classic look for our club," Demoff said. "I like our current throwbacks. I like our current uniform. They all have a meaning in time. We’ve talked about long-term doing a uniform re-design, looking back at the throwbacks we’re using now, or the blue-and-white, or a different hybrid. Or maybe something new and completely different."

The color schemes have changed over the 76 seasons of Rams football, but with the exception of the early Cleveland Rams, the colors haven’t. Almost invariably, there has been some combination of blue, white, and gold. Not to mention those curly horns on the helmet.

"The horns have always been part of what we’ve done," Demoff said.

At least since 1948, that is. That’s when the Rams became the first NFL team to have a logo on their helmets. The horns were designed by a Rams player at the time — Fred Gehrke.

"If you look back over the arc of time, we have such a classic, traditional uniform that people love," Demoff said. "And it elicits great passion. We have so many Hall of Famers that have worn all the different types of uniforms. I think our fans relate to all of them, but they certainly have a preference for each individual one."

The one striking deviation from some form of blue, white, and gold came in 1937, the inaugural season of the Rams’ franchise. The ’37 Rams wore a sharp-looking red-and-black jersey.

"I love the red-and-black Cleveland uniforms," Demoff said. "I don’t think people ever look back at the Cleveland ones, but we certainly do as a potential unique throwback."

Here’s a link to check out the red-and-black Rams jerseys, as well as a history of Rams uniforms:

http://blog.heritagesportsart.com/2010/ ... story.html

• 14 / 29
289 posts Mar 28 2024