United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

NFL.COM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... l-32-teams

Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: B
Day 3 grade: A
Overall grade: A-

The skinny: Les Snead pulled the trigger on a trade with the Patriots to land receiver Brandin Cooks, giving up the team's first-round pick and swapping a sixth-rounder for a fourth-round selection. Jared Goff is already thriving under coach Sean McVay, and now he has a very reliable pass-catcher in Cooks. This is a "win-now" move, which makes more sense than relying on a rookie receiver to help the offense. Snead gave up his second-round pick for Sammy Watkins, who played well for a year and then moved on. I'm sure that's not what the team had in mind when trading for him. Finally able to pick in the middle of the third round, the Rams get a swing tackle in Noteboom, who showed impressive movement last season. This was a good pick for a team needing depth at the position. The Rams did some work on Day 3 well before the draft, grabbing picks in trading away Robert Quinn and Alec Ogletree and giving up picks for cornerbacks Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib. Franklin-Myers is an interesting edge rusher whom I valued as a top-150 pick. Kiser could take Ogletree's starting spot in 2018. The Rams went nuts on edge rushers later, but all had good value. Kelly is also a strong pick in the sixth round.

Sports Illustrated
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/28/nfl-d ... s-analysis

They entered the draft with major needs at defensive end and, because of Alec Ogletree’s trade to the Giants, linebacker. But short on picks after trading for Brandin Cooks and Marcus Peters this year, the Rams didn’t address those areas until they drafted defensive end John Franklin (who may not be a pure edge rusher anyway) late in the fourth round and Ogbonnia Okoronkwo in the fifth round. Normally, that’d be grounds for a reprimanding, but drafting offensive line with their first two picks makes sense for this reason: Three O-linemen—Rob Havenstein, Jamon Brown and Rodger Saffold—are in contract years, and the other two—Andrew Whitworth and John Sullivan—are feeling their age. Personnel changes up front are looming in 2019, and all those fancy L.A. skill position players mean little without an O-line that allows the offense to function.

Grade: C+

Pro Football Focus
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... aft-grades

Day 1: n/a

Day 2: With just one pick to play with over the first two days of the draft, the Rams didn’t come on the clock until the 89th pick of the draft, and they used that to select Joseph Noteboom, an offensive tackle out of TCU. With Andrew Whitworth over 35 years of age and coming off a season in which he looked mortal for the first time in a while, Noteboom makes a lot of sense as an insurance policy. Noteboom allowed just 13 total pressures in his final year at TCU, and that gave him his second strong college season of pass protection. Run-blocking has been more of a challenge for him, but that has never been less of an issue in the NFL given how much the league is pass first in 2018.

Day 3: Ogbonnia Okoronkwo could prove to be an important player for a team in need of edge rush. He had 10 sacks and 47 total pressures in 2017. John Kelly is an intriguing smaller back that runs with power and determination, breaking 37 tackles last season. They went back to the well at edge with Trevon Young in Round 6 as Young had 40 total pressures in 2017.

Overall grade: Average

The Sporting News

Los Angeles Rams: C - Les Snead, after an amazing run of additions in free agency, could afford to operate without first- or second-round picks. But he ended up with volume, anyway. There were a lot of boxes checked in terms of remaining depth, but LA's draft class is not nearly as exciting as its veteran haul.

by max
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   5579  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

This is a C draft. What did anyone expect when you’re first pick is at 89?

You’re gonna get depth guys, you’re not getting immediate starters. The hope is that about 3 of these guys sticks long term. But it’s not likely.

by PARAM
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   12181  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

As usual, you can throw out the draft grades that just look at the players drafted. To truly get an honest grade, however irrelevant and inaccurate it is at this point, you have to factor in the players they got "for" their 2018 draft picks. That would start with Brandin Cooks. In another thread before the draft, I asked, 'show me another NFL team (after the draft) who did as well as the Rams in the draft' and honestly I can't find one. The Browns?

The Rams got Cooks, Peters*, Talib and the rest of their 2018 draft class, as well as freeing up a roster spot by sending Tavon Austin to Dallas. Not too shabby.

*And as someone pointed out quite correctly, Peters also cost a 2019 2nd round pick.

by dieterbrock
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

And of course we know that a draft can’t be truly graded for a couple seasons
I followed the draft on my phone and cbs have grades on each selection they consistently have the Rams a’s and b’s while hitting other teams with c’s
So there’s that...

by safer
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1275  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

Hmmm....dunno about this draft, primarily because I don't know much about the guys we got. I really do wish we had moved up for a better LT prospect. Noteboom is talented and athletic, but he hasn't, to this point, played with much intensity. That is the big knock on him. Maybe getting his ass kicked daily, by Aaron, will bring that out in him. Not sure you can change a guy's personality much at this point. I do see quite of bit of potential in the lbers and D/E's we took. I'm thinking they want to see if one of these guys is good enough, right now, to replace Westbrooks, so we can trade him to the Browns, for maybe a 4 or 5. Also, this makes me wonder how we view Tanzel Smart (who I was pleasantly surprised with last year).

by Hacksaw
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

by aeneas1
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:You either count only what they did with the picks they had entering the draft, or count what they acquired with the picks they had.

I prefer the first. They ended up with 11 picks and absolutely attacked areas of need getting multiple players who could contribute in year 1.

nfl.com did both, they graded rounds even if a team didn't have a pick, and they graded rounds when teams had picks, and then came up with a "total" grade... in the rams case, nfl.com gave them an "a"for the first round given what the rams acquired in exchange for their first round pick, in fact nfl.com gave all four teams who traded away their first round picks an "a" given what they got instead.

anyway, we all know this is just fun stuff, no one is gambling their homes on these grades, and three years from now most of these "grades" will look kinda silly, hell there was a time when browns graded very high year after year after year after year only to continue to stink.

by Elvis
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38376  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

https://sports.yahoo.com/final-2018-nfl ... 07310.html

Frank Schwab

Los Angeles Rams

Picks: OT Joseph Noteboom (3); C Brian Allen (4); DE John Franklin-Myers (4); LB Micah Kiser (5); DE Ogbonnia Okoronkwo (5); RB John Kelly (6); G Jamil Demby (6); DT Sebastian Joseph (6); LB Trevon Young (6); LB Travin Howard (7); DE Justin Lawler (7).

Analysis: The Rams’ draft class is basically Brandin Cooks, Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib. Los Angeles didn’t have a pick in the first two rounds due to trades. And the Rams did fine finding lower-cost offensive line and edge rush help with what they had. One interesting pick is Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, who was an outstanding edge rusher for Oklahoma and fell to the fifth round. The same can be said for Micah Kiser, an inside linebacker who was a tackling machine at Virginia and came in the fifth round. John Kelly is the type of late-round running back who could return a lot of value, and the Rams need someone behind Todd Gurley. While trading picks for veterans in a salary-cap league has its downside, the Rams aren’t complaining.

Grade: A-

by RamsFanSince82
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   5851  
United States of America   So. Cal.
Hall of Fame

by BobCarl
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   4282  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Dick84 wrote:You either count only what they did with the picks they had entering the draft, or count what they acquired with the picks they had.
I'm thinking you count both

• 1 / 1
10 posts Mar 28 2024