14 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by Rytr
5 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   20  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Undrafted Free Agent

So my wife and I and our village (a group of close friends) were up in Calistoga for a race weeekend. We all ran the Napa Valley Silverado Half marathon, 10K & 5K over the weekend.

We were walking through town to get to a Mexican restaurant our friend said was the best, Pacifico's (it was garbage by the way). When I walk past this gem of a winery...

Unfortunately it was by appointment only. And we wouldn't have time after our race to partake.
On a side note out of the 9 of us who raced in the event, 5 of us won our age brackets! Our friends 9 year old son came in 6th overall for the 5K.

It was a great relaxed running event. Anyone looking for a very easy course and no pressure race, this is the one for you.
Attachments
vermiel wines (2).jpg

by BobCarl
5 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   4283  
Superstar

Some start before retiring ... Charles Woodson for example ... located in Vermeil's neck of the woods ... and you can't forget the wine that fetches the highest $ per bottle, called Screaming Eagle ... I forgot what NFL owner has that winery. ;)

Congrats on your marathon runs.... btw what are you gonna call your winery when you retire?

by dieterbrock
5 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Rytr wrote:So my wife and I and our village (a group of close friends) were up in Calistoga for a race weeekend. We all ran the Napa Valley Silverado Half marathon, 10K & 5K over the weekend.

We were walking through town to get to a Mexican restaurant our friend said was the best, Pacifico's (it was garbage by the way). When I walk past this gem of a winery...

Unfortunately it was by appointment only. And we wouldn't have time after our race to partake.
On a side note out of the 9 of us who raced in the event, 5 of us won our age brackets! Our friends 9 year old son came in 6th overall for the 5K.

It was a great relaxed running event. Anyone looking for a very easy course and no pressure race, this is the one for you.

Sounds awesome! Did you run all 3 races?

by safer
5 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   1275  
Pro Bowl

Bob, Screaming Eagle was founded by a neighbor of mine's (Wendell Phillips) daughter and I believe they got $55,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for a bottle recently. I just don't understand that...........it's great, but NOT better than sex!!
Also, know how you make a small fortune in grapes? Start with a large one!!
I have a very small Syrah vineyard and we have fun with it and it looks awesome.

by Rytr
5 years 11 months ago
Undrafted Free Agent

BobCarl wrote:Some start before retiring ... Charles Woodson for example ... located in Vermeil's neck of the woods ... and you can't forget the wine that fetches the highest $ per bottle, called Screaming Eagle ... I forgot what NFL owner has that winery. ;)

Congrats on your marathon runs.... btw what are you gonna call your winery when you retire?

I forgot about Woodson's wine...never had it. I know about Screaming eagle and I would never pay that much for wine. I max out at about Opus one. Then you loose me.

I would start a brewery long before I start a winery. My wife used to work in the wine industry and that is what rich people do for a tax write off!

by Rytr
5 years 11 months ago
Undrafted Free Agent

dieterbrock wrote:Sounds awesome! Did you run all 3 races?

I didn't. They are all run at the same time. I did the 10K (as the rest of our group ran the 5K) so that my friends wouldn't have to wait to long.

I am doing the Monterey Bay Half marathon in November.

Funny story, one of my friends went to get his dog to run with him in the race, during which they explained the turn around points for each race. He was running the 5K, turns out he accidentally ran the 10K. Good news for him he won his age group for the 10K and still came in 2nd in the 5K! he was in the 65-69 age group. He is still in amazing shape. He bikes about 100 miles a week.

by Rytr
5 years 11 months ago
Undrafted Free Agent

safer wrote:Bob, Screaming Eagle was founded by a neighbor of mine's (Wendell Phillips) daughter and I believe they got $55,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for a bottle recently. I just don't understand that...........it's great, but NOT better than sex!!
Also, know how you make a small fortune in grapes? Start with a large one!!
I have a very small Syrah vineyard and we have fun with it and it looks awesome.

Safer you are so right about the fortune thing. It is a tough go for most wineries. Locally here, most do pretty well, but a lot come and go.

where are your grapes grown? and How do I get a bottle? I could trade you some homebrew!

by sloramfan
5 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   1581  
United States of America   cen coast cal
Pro Bowl

ok, i live on the central coast of cali... slo

i just remodeled the oldest winery in central cali... rotto.. their grapes are dry farmed..

and you're right... tax write off, it is for some... but for others it is a money tree...

just got to know who is doing it right...

i don't know, cuz i develop properties, i don't grow grapes...

;)

go rams

slo

by snackdaddy
5 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   9631  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

All this talk about running in marathons is making me tired. And hungry. I think I'll take a drive over to the donut shop. After I finish a bottle of Two Buck Chuck. 8-)

by BobCarl
5 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   4283  
Superstar

safer wrote:I have a very small Syrah vineyard and we have fun with it and it looks awesome.
I'm jealous...I love syrah and Grenache... Add 1 or 2% viognier in your barrel and I'm heaven... Can I ask what AVA your vineyard is in?

• 1 / 2
14 posts Mar 28 2024