15 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by Extremes
5 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   121  
Belarus   LA
Practice Squad

All year post the Texans game, I have heard random morons and media members push their agenda that Jared Goff doesn't read the defenses and that Sean McVay is doing his work for him. That is completely false. Both McVay and Goff laughed it off as people trying to find a way to discredit Goffs ability to play QB in the NFL. They can't get over Goff's rookie year statistics. Anyway hope this clears up what McVay is actually doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoQ77PwX990
Sean Payton and Drew Brees.
@1:13 Sean Payton: "Watch how they disperse here" (after calling a coverage beater).
@1:25 Sean Payton: "They are having troubles with Sproles with [their] linemen" (him suggesting that should be his primary read).
@2:41 Sean Payton: "look who's covering Jimmy [Graham] (giving him tips on where to go with the ball).

Anyway, I'm not going to break down the whole video, but Sean McVay does roughly the same thing that Sean Payton does with Drew Brees.

Our offensive scheme is a mixture of what the Falcons(play-action heavy),Patriots (pick plays), and the Saints (coverage beaters) run.

The way our offense works is during the week leading up to Sunday, Sean McVay studies the opponents defensive tendencies and designs plays/routes that beat their favorite and go to coverages. When McVay calls a play, he then tells Goff what to look for and to confirm what he sees. From then on post 15 seconds. The ball is hiked and Goff goes into post-snap and has to decide what he sees is accurate (within those 3/5 step drops) and confirm what he saw pre-snap. Sometimes McVay doesn't tell him anything and lets the motion of a certain reciever tell him whether the defense is playing man or zone (something the Patriots do for Tom Brady to help him diagnose defenses pre-snap).
Watch Jeff Garcia's video on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oguK2XT3KY

This isn't something new. The Patriots do the same for Tom Brady, Sean Payton does the same for Drew Brees. Bruce Arians did the same for Ben Roethlisberger. This helps QB's progress at faster rates, which is why week to week Jared Goff got significantly better and why I feel confident in saying that Jared Goff will throw for 40tds easily next year. He was a monster in the redzone at CAL, and that has yet to show up in the NFL, and it will this season, this is the beginning of something special. I'm so excited for this season.

This is a personal thing that has been bothering me for some time, Jared Goff comp coming out of Cal wasn't Matt fucking Ryan, it's Aaron Rodgers. Matt Ryan doesn't have anywhere near the arm talent of Jared Goff and because they are both slim they were compared to one another. And one more thing, Baker Mayfield and Josh Rosen don't better college tape than Jared Goff.
Aaron Rodgers himself said that Goff is more of a natural thrower of the football than he was coming out of Cal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTgq0k1RaL8

Year 1: Learning the System
Year 2: Mastering the System.

My favorite part, no more of me getting pissed off at Sammy Watkins half ass route running or his attempts at catches. I can't believe people wanted that scrub back.. anyways Cooks is 10x the player Watkins is. There is a reason why Goff did not trust him. And like Tom Brady "If he doesn't trust you, he won't throw you the ball period."

by moklerman
5 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:Not gonna find a much bigger Goff supporter on the board than me.
Ryan's a better comp than Rogers... but the truth is that Goff is a player who, style wise, ends up somewhere in between the two, I hope.
I believe he has a more ability on the move than Ryan... but no one can throw the ball from multiple positions and angles like Rogers. No one.

Two of the greatest QB's of our era and they have what, 1 Super Bowl win between them? Not sure I care about gaudy stats for the QB if that's what it nets the team.

by Elvis
5 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   38381  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

moklerman wrote:Two of the greatest QB's of our era and they have what, 1 Super Bowl win between them? Not sure I care about gaudy stats for the QB if that's what it nets the team.

You could say the same thing about Kurt Warner...

by ramsman34
5 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   8463  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Elvis wrote:You could say the same thing about Kurt Warner...

Yet. he went to three and had a legit chance to be the winning QB in all of them, was in SB34. Rogers and Brees have "only' been to one each, and won. Nonetheless, If Goff approaches any of them in that regard, we are looking pretty damn good.

Team game.

by moklerman
5 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:You could say the same thing about Kurt Warner...
Yes and the point remains. Gaudy numbers for the QB doesn't equal championships. I'd rather Goff wound up more like Aikman than Marino when it comes to what it means for the Rams.

by aeneas1
5 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Extremes wrote:All year post the Texans game, I have heard random morons and media members push their agenda that Jared Goff doesn't read the defenses and that Sean McVay is doing his work for him. That is completely false. Both McVay and Goff laughed it off as people trying to find a way to discredit Goffs ability to play QB in the NFL. They can't get over Goff's rookie year statistics. Anyway hope this clears up what McVay is actually doing.

Sean Payton and Drew Brees.
@1:13 Sean Payton: "Watch how they disperse here" (after calling a coverage beater).
@1:25 Sean Payton: "They are having troubles with Sproles with [their] linemen" (him suggesting that should be his primary read).
@2:41 Sean Payton: "look who's covering Jimmy [Graham] (giving him tips on where to go with the ball).

to be clear, payton isn't telling brees "watch how they disperse" as brees is dropping back, which the youtube vid seems to imply, coach to qb communication is automatically cut off once the play clock reaches 15 secs or the ball is snapped, whichever comes first... in fact a lot of what payton can be heard saying in the vid isn't being transmitted to brees, he's talking to guys in the booth, and guys around him, which is all being picked up by the mic'd up crew.

that said, the whole thing was such a ridiculous non-story that, for the most part, died just as quickly as it gained steam once the idiot talking heads realized what was actually going on between all qbs and coaches via the headsets, once they realized that it was part of the game, and has been going on for two+ decades.

by aeneas1
5 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:Yes and the point remains. Gaudy numbers for the QB doesn't equal championships. I'd rather Goff wound up more like Aikman than Marino when it comes to what it means for the Rams.

hell, i hope goff ends up more like trent dilfer than marino, fouts, rivers, jurgensen, moon, etc.!

by moklerman
5 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:hell, i hope goff ends up more like trent dilfer than marino, fouts, rivers, jurgensen, moon, etc.!
I'd rather he end up like his hero Montana. Because Dilfer illustrates the point of extremes. Not with gaudy QB numbers but with a gaudy defense.

No one's actually arguing the point of good teams being more desirable than impressive individual numbers, right? I'd just rather the Rams had a good/really good QB and team success over a star QB that never gets all the help that he needs to win it all more than once.

by ramsman34
5 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   8463  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

the Rams have this season and possibly next before extending Goff. that is the "rookie QB cap hit" window the Rams have to work with. They want - as all teams do - to be able to compete for a SB every season. But, the Rams and the cap/salaries line up for being able to load the roster over the next two season and become (on paper) one of the most talented and highly competitive teams in the league.

It's taking advantage of the business opportunity at hand. After 2019, the team will have to do some serious business to stay elite, provided they become elite 2018-2019. The patriots have done it. So can the Rams, and I am not comparing Goff to Brady. Just saying that if Goff is an elite QB by 2019, even with the cap limitations, building a consistent SB caliber team can be done. The major difference is that our division has been, is, and probably will be more competitive than the AFC east has been and is.

• 1 / 2
15 posts Mar 29 2024