70 posts
  • 1 / 7
 by Elvis
6 years 2 days ago
 Total posts:   38448  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Aaron Donald not expected to show when Rams begin voluntary offseason workouts Monday

By GARY KLEIN
APR 15, 2018 | 6:00 AM

Several new high-profile players, including cornerbacks Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib, defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh and receiver Brandin Cooks, can introduce themselves to Rams teammates Monday when the team begins voluntary offseason workouts in Thousand Oaks.

But one of the team's biggest stars almost certainly will not be part of the greeting party. Defensive lineman Aaron Donald, once again, is not expected to participate in the nine-week program. At least not until he gets a new contract.

Donald earned only $1.8 million in 2017 and is due to make $6.9 million this season in the fifth and final year of his rookie deal. But the reigning NFL defensive player of the year is thought to be seeking an extension that would pay him more than $20 million per season.

A Donald absence would be a familiar scenario for second-year coach Sean McVay. Last year Donald sat out voluntary workouts, did not participate in drills during a mandatory minicamp and stayed away from training camp to make a statement about his contract situation — and to avoid injury.

It did not affect his performance: He recorded 11 sacks and helped the Rams win the NFC West and advance to the playoffs for the first time since 2004. So McVay does not figure to worry about Donald's preparation for the season.

General manager Les Snead has said the Rams and Donald's representatives have a "timeline" for discussions about a new deal but declined to offer specifics, insisting only that signing Donald remains a priority.

"The goal is still the same," he said, "Make Aaron Donald a Ram for a long, long time."

The first two weeks of the offseason program, as mandated by the collective bargaining agreement, can include only strength and conditioning and physical rehabilitation.

The next three weeks can include on-field, individual player instruction and drills but none that pit offensive players against defensive players. The final four weeks can include 10 days of organized-team practice, commonly known as OTAs. No live contact is permitted.

Last year McVay had been on the job for not quite three months when the offseason program began. His first task was to lay the groundwork for a new culture while he and his staff taught players new systems on offense and defense.

Now he must build on last season's success, which included the ascent of quarterback Jared Goff and the rebirth of running back Todd Gurley, the NFL's offensive player of the year.

The offseason program is expected to help new players get acclimated and, perhaps, provide a proving ground for several returning from injuries or coming back from subpar performances.

Kicker Greg Zuerlein, the NFL's scoring leader in 2017, underwent back surgery late in the season and was sidelined for the last three games.

Receiver Tavon Austin was not able to participate fully in the offseason program last year following wrist surgery. He suffered a hamstring injury during training camp, lost his job as the punt returner and never found a role in McVay's offense. Last month Austin agreed to restructure his contract to remain with the Rams.

gary.klein@latimes.com

Follow Gary Klein on Twitter @latimesklein

by Zen_Ronin
6 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   2038  
Canada   Edmonton, AB
Pro Bowl

At this point I'm convinced AD doesn't get a new contract until next year, and I think both camps have agreed on the time line and that there are no hard feelings on either side. Both sides working toward the same goal and allowing Donald to work out his way, but also reduce chance of injury by not attending camp activities. I expect the "sky is falling" brigade to panic and project feelings of resentment onto the Rams front office on Donald's behalf any minute now though. :roll: :lol:

by /zn/
6 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Zen_Ronin wrote:At this point I'm convinced AD doesn't get a new contract until next year, and I think both camps have agreed on the time line and that there are no hard feelings on either side. Both sides working toward the same goal and allowing Donald to work out his way, but also reduce chance of injury by not attending camp activities. I expect the "sky is falling" brigade to panic and project feelings of resentment onto the Rams front office on Donald's behalf any minute now though. :roll: :lol:

There is never one sky is falling camp. There;s always at least 2.

One will, as you say, project feelings of resentment on to the Rams office on Donald;s behalf.

The other will do the opposite. They will project feelings of resentment on to Donald on the Ram;s behalf.

Meanwhile, given the info we do have, I think the honestly objective position is this: the Rams could be at fault, Donald could be at fault, it could be both, it could be neither....they could be close to a deal, they could be far from a deal...AND no one really knows, plus right now no one has enough to go on to even act like they know.

That's the only honest thing we can say, unless and until we get more info.

Personally I line up with "neither." But that's just a hunch. There's no real evidence either way. So far there aren't even really any hints either way.

by AltiTude Ram
6 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   2178  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

/zn/ wrote:There is never one sky is falling camp. There;s always at least 2.

One will, as you say, project feelings of resentment on to the Rams office on Donald;s behalf.

The other will do the opposite. They will project feelings of resentment on to Donald on the Ram;s behalf.

Meanwhile, given the info we do have, I think the honestly objective position is this: the Rams could be at fault, Donald could be at fault, it could be both, it could be neither....they could be close to a deal, they could be far from a deal...AND no one really knows, plus right now no one has enough to go on to even act like they know.

That's the only honest thing we can say, unless and until we get more info.

Personally I line up with "neither." But that's just a hunch. There's no real evidence either way. So far there aren't even really any hints either way.

Not trying to spoil the surprise, Donald will sign up to be a Ram!

If anything can be taken from the article, it's insurance/security against future earnings.

I think Donald will be working out with the Rams playbook and stay focused on the objective.

The last thing I'd worry about is AD showing up out of shape and unprepared. 8-)

by Elmgrovegnome
6 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   624  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

Zen_Ronin wrote:At this point I'm convinced AD doesn't get a new contract until next year, and I think both camps have agreed on the time line and that there are no hard feelings on either side. Both sides working toward the same goal and allowing Donald to work out his way, but also reduce chance of injury by not attending camp activities. I expect the "sky is falling" brigade to panic and project feelings of resentment onto the Rams front office on Donald's behalf any minute now though. :roll: :lol:

Next year? It sounds more urgent than that. He could sign a new deal affective next season but with a big signing bonus that could be paid now and not count towards this year's cap. That way Aaron has some pocket change to make him happy during training camp.

If they wait until next year then Donald and his agent will surely test the free agent market and then he is likely gone.

by Haden
6 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   2134  
United States of America   Spokane, WA
RFU Survivor Champ

Elmgrovegnome wrote:Next year? It sounds more urgent than that. He could sign a new deal affective next season but with a big signing bonus that could be paid now and not count towards this year's cap. That way Aaron has some pocket change to make him happy during training camp.

If they wait until next year then Donald and his agent will surely test the free agent market and then he is likely gone.

Not a chance. They would franchise him first.

by dieterbrock
6 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Haden wrote:Not a chance. They would franchise him first.

Which would be a shame.
If the Rams are resigned to franchise tag on Donald that would be a disappointment. It surely would mean his tenure would be nearly over since they would have had 3 off seasons to sign him long term and they failed. In addition using the FT on him means we can’t use on other ufa coming up. Cooks, Peters, Gurley and Goff namely.

by LARams_1963
6 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   1191  
United States of America   North Port, FL
Pro Bowl

At this point I expect a repeat of last offseason/preseason. He really played it up in this last episode of Behind the Grind, laying the groundwork for another holdout. Can't say I blame him. I'm sure he will stay in shape and be ready. Zen could be right in his analysis, just as long as he's OK with the scenario. Bottom line is I just don't see how the $$$ is there this year to pay him.

by Elvis
6 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   38448  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

A lot like last year, AD is basically someone who's worth $100 million dollars playing on a contract that's paying him $7 million in a sport where careers are cut short all the time.

He either needs a new contract or an insurance policy that will protect him against the financial risk he's taking...

• 1 / 7
70 posts Apr 18 2024