444 posts
  • 2 / 45
 by /zn/
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

RamHard wrote:2. He will like playing for Wade and along side Donald

1. Can we afford what he may want to be paid?

2 kwik responses.

First, at what position? NS is a 4/3 tackle who doesn't necessarily translate either to NT or 3/4 DE.

The closest he translates to Wade's front is AD's 3-tech spot.

Second, no they most likely cannot afford both Suh and AD. Or I don't see how they can afford both.

by ramsman34
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   8462  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

There is something else that needs to be considered; how many players with distinct character issues can the Rams’ locker room handle without divisiveness and/or a net negative impact?

by snackdaddy
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   9630  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I don't see it happening. Then again, I didn't see it happening with Talib. So who knows? I know they seem to be going all in to win this season, so anything is possible.

I know people have questions with how he would fit in a 3-4. But talent is talent. Donald switched from a 4-3 and ended up DPOY. When you have talent Wade is the best at figuring out how to get the most of a guy.

by /zn/
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:I don't see it happening. Then again, I didn't see it happening with Talib. So who knows? I know they seem to be going all in to win this season, so anything is possible.

I know people have questions with how he would fit in a 3-4. But talent is talent. Donald switched from a 4-3 and ended up DPOY. When you have talent Wade is the best at figuring out how to get the most of a guy.

Donald did not switch positions though. He is playing the exact same position in Wade's 3/4 (a 3-tech DT) that he did in Wms's 4/3.

And no you can't always switch positions on guys like that. Brockers moved to 3/4 DE but then that's his more natural position whereas NT wasn't. You could not switch Donald to NT or DE and expect the same from him, he's a 3-tech all the way.

Suh's best fit in the Wade 3/4 is at 3-tech. Donald's position. I suppose they could try him at 3/4 DE and move Brockers back to NT, but then as I said that wasn't his natural position.

So if you add in the fact that---in spite of some of the tweets in this thread-- no they canNOT afford both Suh and Donald, the whole thing just doesn't add up.

Or I would be very much surprised if it did.

by Elvis
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   38376  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Word is Suh is looking for a chance to win more than a big payday. I got to think that puts the Saints ever so slightly as the favorite.

But if you want to play with Aquib Talib, Marcus Peters, Aaron Donald for Wade Phillips, that's a pretty exciting opportunity.

Still think it's a long shot but it's getting shorter...

by Elvis
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   38376  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/03/19/r ... ue-easley/

Rams to meet with Ndamukong Suh after re-signing of Dominique Easley

By RICH HAMMOND | rhammond@scng.com | Orange County Register
PUBLISHED: March 19, 2018 at 9:04 am | UPDATED: March 19, 2018 at 9:33 am

The Rams, having completed the reshaping of their secondary, have moved on to strengthening their defensive line.

Free agent Ndamukong Suh, one of the most dominant NFL interior linemen of the past decade, is set to visit with the Rams this week and discuss the possibility of a contract.

The Rams on Monday agreed to terms with defensive end Dominique Easley, who missed all of last season with a major knee injury suffered during training camp. Easley, who played well as a backup in 2016, signed a one-year contract and should be ready for the start of the season.

Now, the question is whether the Rams can connect on a big swing and bring in Suh to play alongside linemen such as Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Ethan Westbrooks and Easley.

It became possible last week when the Miami Dolphins released Suh, midway through the record-setting six-year, $121 million contract he signed in 2015. Suh played well for the Dolphins, and recorded 15.5 sacks in three seasons, but the money became prohibitive for the Dolphins.

Suh, according to various media reports, visited with representatives from New Orleans and Tennessee this week. It was not immediately known whether Suh had any other trips planned this week.

Suh, who turned 31 in January, has a history of aggressive on-field incidents, but his level of play is unquestioned. The No. 2 overall pick of the 2010 draft, Suh excelled for five seasons in Detroit before he signed the big deal with Miami. Suh earned first-team All-Pro honors in 2010, 2013 and 2014.

The Rams, almost certainly, will not be able to offer a big-money, long-term contract, but they might be able to sell Suh on the idea of a short-term deal and a chance at a Super Bowl ring.

Suh would be a remarkable piece on a defensive line that already features Donald, the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year, and Brockers, who had an excellent 2017 season. The only question would be whether the Rams view Suh as a nose tackle in their 3-4 defense, or an end on Donald’s other side.

The Rams recently completed a run of big moves involving their secondary. They traded for Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters, signed Sam Shields and re-signed Nickell Robey-Coleman. Collectively, that more than made up for the loss of Trumaine Johnson to the New York Jets via free agency.

Linebacker remains a position of need after the Rams traded Alec Ogletree and Robert Quinn, but the possible addition of a talent such as Suh no doubt would be tantalizing to coordinator Wade Phillips.

Easley is less of a certain bet, but he has potential. In 2016, as a primary backup at end, Easley played all 16 games and recorded 35 tackles, 3.5 sacks and two forced fumbles.

Last year, the Rams signed Easley to a one-year contract worth just under $1.8 million and viewed him as a potential starter, but during training camp, Easley tore an ACL for the third time since high school.

• 2 / 45
444 posts Mar 28 2024