7 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by BobCarl
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   4283  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Here are a few paragraphs of the story:

Orthopedic surgeon: Carson Wentz might be brace-dependent for rest of his career

by Cody Benjamin Feb 21, 2018

The consensus timetable for the return of Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz, who suffered a torn ACL in Week 14, has the MVP candidate on track for a potential Week One appearance in 2018.

One orthopedic surgeon, however, thinks an Opening Day return is "very, very optimistic" and that Philadelphia has reason to worry about its quarterback's knee.

Joining Angelo Cataldi on SportsRadio 94 WIP this week, Dr. John Kelly, a professor of clinical orthopaedic surgery at Penn Medicine (University of Pennsylvania), said Wentz's injury is actually "an RG3 equivalent" -- a reference to the battered former Washington Redskins quarterback, Robert Griffin III, whose career lasted all of five seasons.

"This is an ACL, plus at least two ligaments," Kelly said. "This is an RG3 equivalent, folks. This is worrisome ... That's a long rehab. And if it were my patient, it would take nine, 10, 11 months."

The surgeon then went on to say, at least from his perspective, that it's "absolutely" too optimistic to expect Wentz back on the field for the Eagles' Sept. 6 opener. In his eyes, the two-year veteran would need a minimum of nine months of rehabilitation to start playing -- with a knee brace, no less. And that kind of time frame suggests Wentz wouldn't be available until mid- to late-September at the earliest.

by sloramfan
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1581  
United States of America   cen coast cal
Pro Bowl

it might not be as bad as you think...

i tore my knee up in a motorcycle wreck, and was a pretty good basketball player before the accident..

after the accident they gave me a knee brace to wear... i soon abandoned it and was fine except for when i would play ball..

if i didnt wear the brace, eventually i would push the limit, the knee would buckle, and i would be in pain that makes you sweat for a few minutes..

wearing the brace was the only way i could play all out without fear... my knee would not buckle with the brace on, but im sure with any injury, severity is the factor that determines weather he is confident to play up to his standards... i just know i could

go rams

slo

by Elmgrovegnome
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   624  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

Now Eagles fans have something to legitimately bitch about. Usually they just complain and are angry just to hear themselves talk. Now they'll be burning effigies of Pederson in the streets.

Many of us felt that allowing Wentz to run like a back was a bad idea. It wasn't hard to realize the liveliness of an eventual injury. How does an NFL head coach not realize it, especially after RGIII?

by snackdaddy
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   9631  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Guys like Wentz add a different dimensions to the passing game. But it doesn't come without risk. What kind of injury history will he have over the years? He'll be forever tied to Goff in the eyes of Rams fans because they had their choice between the two. I have to wonder what that comparison will look 5 years from now. Wentz puts his body at risk and missed time in college and NFL. Goff doesn't put his body at risk and he hasn't missed a game in either college or pros.

by HAL 9000
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1009  
United States of America   Jupiter
Pro Bowl

Wentz relies heavily on his mobility by running around while anticipating a pass or becoming a running threat as part of his game, just like any other mobile QB (ie. Wilson). He is not a true pocket passer like Goff/Manning/Brady. I think he lacks quick decisions from the pocket, thus the running around to buy time and anticipate a broken defensive play down field.

This could really hamper his game.

Stay tuned.....

• 1 / 1
7 posts Mar 28 2024