51 posts
  • 2 / 6
 by AltiTude Ram
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   2167  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

RedAlice wrote:McDaniels will only and always act in his best interest.

I think we all saw that first hand.

And I fully believe this is because he is promised the Pats HC job soon.

No doubt he's acting in his best interest but it is still bad etiquette on his part. It's unperfessional of him to agree to take the job and then not take it. I know things change but to lead them to believe you're going to take the job and then back out last minute is just shitty.

Again, he has had to have had these discussions with Kraft and Belichick about the Patriots possible job over the past few years and probably more this year since he was already penciled in as the Colts coach weeks ago.

What changed? I'm thinking Kraft offered him a deal he couldn't refuse. Still pretty crappy to back out on your word. JMO

by RedAlice
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   6596  
United States of America   Dallas, Texas
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:I don't feel bad for the Colts. They just dodged a bullet IMO.

This!!!!!!

by dieterbrock
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Well,
Jeff Fisher is still available!!!

by AltiTude Ram
6 years 1 month ago
Pro Bowl

moklerman wrote:I don't feel bad for the Colts. They just dodged a bullet IMO.

I agree.

I'm hoping the Patriots get just what they deserve with this kinda BS.

I didn't want him last year and was glad when the Rams went with McVay. He's overrated as a coach. I think A1 posted some stats on the Pats offense when he wasn't the coordinator. Part of a good system with great players and living on the reputation.

by AltiTude Ram
6 years 1 month ago
Pro Bowl

He just had a 2nd interview last week and there had to be at least a hand shake on the deal.

Again, I have no interest in where he coaches. I just think its bad character to agree and keep another team hanging and back out at the last minute. After they announce it official no less.

It sounds like Kraft and Belichick stepped in at the last minute when they had all kinds of time prior to make whatever promises they just made.

by Elvis
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   38377  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

They already started hiring his assistants, definitely unprofessional of McDaniels but he's a hot candidate every year and never leaves (since he came back from Denver/Rams), doesn't seem like he really wants to...

by St. Loser Fan
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   10508  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

When do the Patriots play in Indy next?

by haroldjackson29
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   842  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

Just fake news the NFL made up . nothing happened. There's no mystery,no ulterior motive.

by Elvis
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   38377  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2234 ... d-patriots

Josh McDaniels changes mind, jilting Colts to stay with Pats

Adam Schefter
ESPN Senior Writer

After two days of reflection and conversations with the Patriots, New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels has decided not to accept the Indianapolis Colts' head-coaching job, the team confirmed Tuesday night.

"After agreeing to contract terms to become the Indianapolis Colts' new head coach, New England Patriots assistant coach Josh McDaniels this evening informed us that he would not be joining our team," the team said in a statement. "Although we are surprised and disappointed, we will resume our head-coaching search immediately and find the right fit to lead our team and organization on and off the field."

In the past 48 hours, Patriots owner Robert Kraft began talking with McDaniels and ultimately wound up sweetening his contract, helping to entice McDaniels, who had yet to sign a contract with the Colts, to remain in New England, a source said.

But this wasn't a decision about money. The truth is, McDaniels, 41, has been vacillating on this decision throughout the interview process, ever since meeting with the Colts on wild-card weekend. It is the reason a second meeting with Colts officials and team owner Jim Irsay was held. McDaniels was trying to get comfortable with the idea of taking his family out of New England and moving to Indianapolis, sources said.

Throughout the process, McDaniels had emphasized to the Colts that he would need time to mull the decision and discuss it with his family. The more McDaniels reflected on potentially having the opportunity to coach the Colts, the more it did not feel right to him and the better it felt to remain in New England. McDaniels still would like to become a head coach again, but this time, in this instance, he was not comfortable.

The Krafts also stepped in this week to make McDaniels feel even more wanted, and the two sides were able to come to an agreement Tuesday night that will enable New England to retain its offensive coordinator at a time it is losing its defensive coordinator, Matt Patricia, to Detroit as the Lions' new head coach.

The about-face from McDaniels caught the Colts off guard. In a text to ESPN's Mike Wells, one member of Indianapolis' front office described the situation as "Unreal. I'm at a loss."

McDaniels' decision to stay could spark speculation that perhaps Patriots head coach Bill Belichick's tenure is about to end, but those close to McDaniels say that isn't the case, a source told ESPN's Mike Reiss. The bigger factor to McDaniels was that the Patriots, who hadn't addressed his future until the past week or so, made an ultra-aggressive late push to try to entice him to stay. Had that happened a month or so ago, even if there was clarity that Belichick was definitely going to be the coach in 2018 (which he decisively is), McDaniels might not have pursued other head-coaching jobs as aggressively as he did.

Indianapolis now finds itself in a coaching bind, playing catch-up at a time when the other head-coaching openings in the league have been filled.

During the interview process, the Colts spoke with McDaniels, who is remaining in New England; former Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Matt Nagy, who accepted the Chicago Bears' head-coaching job; former Houston Texans defensive coordinator Mike Vrabel, who accepted the Tennessee Titans' head-coaching job; former Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator Steve Wilks, who accepted the Arizona Cardinals' head-coaching job; Baylor head coach Matt Rhule, who said he's remaining at the school; and former Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Kris Richard, who took a defensive passing-game coordinator coaching job with the Dallas Cowboys.

After originally agreeing to be the Colts' next head coach, Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels has decided to stay in New England. Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
Four coaches who would have been members of McDaniels' staff in Indianapolis told ESPN's Dianna Russini on Tuesday night they were blindsided and had yet to hear from him. But a source familiar with the situation later told ESPN's Josina Anderson that McDaniels has "spoken to every one (of the would-be assistants) a while ago, shortly after (talking to) Indy."

Despite McDaniels' sudden shift, two people who agreed to be assistants for him in Indianapolis will remain with the Colts, regardless of who the next head coach will be, sources said. Former Cowboys assistant head coach/linebackers coach Matt Eberflus signed to become the Colts' defensive coordinator, and former Illinois defensive line coach Mike Phair signed to become Indy's D-line coach.

Indianapolis now has coaching and quarterback questions. On Sunday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported there still are concerns about Andrew Luck's shoulder and whether he could wind up needing additional surgery.

The Colts now will have to go back to the drawing board, while the Patriots have some of the coaching stability they appeared to be losing. The situation is not entirely dissimilar to Belichick stepping away from the New York Jets' head-coaching job after the 1999 season, but he did that the day of the news conference. McDaniels has done this the night before he was scheduled to be introduced by the Colts; but he was not comfortable making the jump, neither for him nor his family.

Information from ESPN's Mike Reiss contributed to this report.

• 2 / 6
51 posts Mar 28 2024