by Elvis
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   38381  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... 81326908=1

Doug Pederson: Coaching conservatively is a good way to go 8-8

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 5, 2018, 6:31 AM EST

Eagles coach Doug Pederson was the most aggressive coach on fourth downs all season, and that didn’t change in the Super Bowl. Pederson says there’s a simple reason for that: It’s the way to win.

Pederson told Peter King after the game that if you want to play it safe all the time, that’s a great way to be at or near .500 all the time. If you want to win a championship, you need to try some high-risk, high-reward plays.

“You learn if you play passive, if you play conservative, if you call plays conservatively, you are going to be 8-8, 9-7 every year,” Pederson said. “Every year. Frank and I just having that collaborative spirit to talk about things and talk with our quarterbacks and just come up with ways of keeping this game fresh and fun and exciting for our players. And that’s really where it all stems from.”

Pederson was aggressive, and he won the Super Bowl. Other coaches should take note.

by rams74
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1460  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/05/doug-pederson-coaching-conservatively-is-a-good-way-to-go-8-8/?sf181326908=1

Doug Pederson: Coaching conservatively is a good way to go 8-8

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 5, 2018, 6:31 AM EST

Eagles coach Doug Pederson was the most aggressive coach on fourth downs all season, and that didn’t change in the Super Bowl. Pederson says there’s a simple reason for that: It’s the way to win.

Pederson told Peter King after the game that if you want to play it safe all the time, that’s a great way to be at or near .500 all the time. If you want to win a championship, you need to try some high-risk, high-reward plays.

“You learn if you play passive, if you play conservative, if you call plays conservatively, you are going to be 8-8, 9-7 every year,” Pederson said. “Every year. Frank and I just having that collaborative spirit to talk about things and talk with our quarterbacks and just come up with ways of keeping this game fresh and fun and exciting for our players. And that’s really where it all stems from.”

Pederson was aggressive, and he won the Super Bowl. Other coaches should take note.

All those years in Green Bay, playing (or rather, NOT playing) behind Brett Favre, who knew that Pederson was the more aggressive of the two?

by moklerman
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

I don't know. I agree with the sentiment but doesn't this fall under the category of whoever wins gets to say whatever he wants? I mean, I thought it was very unwise for the Eagles to go for 2 so early and then again to try and make up for it. Had they kicked either one of those extra points(gone conservative) there wouldn't have been any drama at the end.

by Gareth
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1207  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

moklerman wrote:I don't know. I agree with the sentiment but doesn't this fall under the category of whoever wins gets to say whatever he wants? I mean, I thought it was very unwise for the Eagles to go for 2 so early and then again to try and make up for it. Had they kicked either one of those extra points(gone conservative) there wouldn't have been any drama at the end.

When you take chances, some work and some don't. The point is that you're not going to beat the Patriots by laying back and hoping it works out. You have to take it from them. That's was the difference between Jacksonville and Philly. The Jags could have beaten them too but played afraid. Pederson knew that if he wanted to beat them, he had to take on some risk. And he did it beautifully.

by moklerman
6 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

Gareth wrote:When you take chances, some work and some don't. The point is that you're not going to beat the Patriots by laying back and hoping it works out. You have to take it from them. That's was the difference between Jacksonville and Philly. The Jags could have beaten them too but played afraid. Pederson knew that if he wanted to beat them, he had to take on some risk. And he did it beautifully.
Can't argue with the end results but I still think the approach needs to be balanced.

Balls of steel paid off yesterday in many instances, I just don't think those point after situations were good calls. My philosophy is to only go for 2 when you have to. Way more often than not, it seems teams regret not having those 1 or 2 points that were relative gimmes.

I suppose it just depends on how you look at it. Putting those extra points on the board would still fall under being aggressive in my book more than being conservative. I mean, I wouldn't consider that the same as say, going for FG's instead of TD's like some of the Rams coaches over the years.

by rams74
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1460  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

moklerman wrote:I don't know. I agree with the sentiment but doesn't this fall under the category of whoever wins gets to say whatever he wants? I mean, I thought it was very unwise for the Eagles to go for 2 so early and then again to try and make up for it. Had they kicked either one of those extra points(gone conservative) there wouldn't have been any drama at the end.

I'll play the "if" game, too. If the Eagles had kicked either one of those extra points, there could very well have been drama at the end, if Gostkowski had just made the kicks he usually makes. If either one or both of two Eagles' touchdowns had been reversed on review, it might have been a totally different game.

A lot of ifs.

by Gareth
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1207  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

moklerman wrote:Can't argue with the end results but I still think the approach needs to be balanced.

Balls of steel paid off yesterday in many instances, I just don't think those point after situations were good calls. My philosophy is to only go for 2 when you have to. Way more often than not, it seems teams regret not having those 1 or 2 points that were relative gimmes.

I suppose it just depends on how you look at it. Putting those extra points on the board would still fall under being aggressive in my book more than being conservative. I mean, I wouldn't consider that the same as say, going for FG's instead of TD's like some of the Rams coaches over the years.

Unless I'm missing something, there was only one questionable 2 pt conversion attempt. I also thought it was way early for that but I go back to my point - if you want to beat the Patriots, being aggressive is the way to go.

by moklerman
6 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

Gareth wrote:Unless I'm missing something, there was only one questionable 2 pt conversion attempt. I also thought it was way early for that but I go back to my point - if you want to beat the Patriots, being aggressive is the way to go.
I thought they missed the PAT, went for 2 and then went for 2 again? I'm probably remembering wrong.

It's just a balance though. I don't think you can throw caution to the wind but I definitely agree that going conservative or playing not to lose is a big mistake against the Patriots. They are relentless and you can't just try to hang on.

Not knocking Pederson, just didn't agree with the early 2 point try.

by moklerman
6 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

rams74 wrote:I'll play the "if" game, too. If the Eagles had kicked either one of those extra points, there could very well have been drama at the end, if Gostkowski had just made the kicks he usually makes. If either one or both of two Eagles' touchdowns had been reversed on review, it might have been a totally different game.

A lot of ifs.
You're right, who knows if the rest of the game would have transpired the exact same way but I think you know what I'm saying. I don't think it would have been considered conservative or a momentum killer to have kicked the extra point instead of going for 2.

by dieterbrock
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Gareth wrote:Unless I'm missing something, there was only one questionable 2 pt conversion attempt. I also thought it was way early for that but I go back to my point - if you want to beat the Patriots, being aggressive is the way to go.

I didn't understand chasing the missed XP so early, but loved the 4th down try.
Jacksonville showed fully that if you don't do everything you can to put them away, you wont.

• 1 / 2
14 posts Mar 29 2024