14 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by JackPMiller
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   2729  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Is he a Super Bowl winning type of coach, or is he going to be the coach who is like Air Coryell(sp?), can get us to the playoffs, but lose in the first or second round?

by BobCarl
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   4296  
Superstar

JackPMiller wrote:Is he a Super Bowl winning type of coach...?
We all hope so. I doubt the Rams would hire a coach that they know isn't capable of winning it all.

by RamsFanSince82
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   5851  
United States of America   So. Cal.
Hall of Fame

You seem bored.

McVay had a very good first year coaching and it seems like he has a lot of qualities that will help him be a successful coach for a long time.

I don't know how anyone can say that he is or isn't a Super Bowl winning type of coach after only one season.

by Hacksaw
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

BobCarl wrote:We all hope so. I doubt the Rams would hire a coach that they know isn't capable of winning it all.

That seems logical but those Fishy Spagslinehasslet hires don't support that theory.

by BobCarl
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   4296  
Superstar

Hacksaw wrote:That seems logical but those Fishy Spagslinehasslet hires don't support that theory.
I wonder if the budget had anything to do with those decisions ... I think that more money was allowed to be used to go out and get Fisher ... but my gut told me that Fish was brought in to distance the team from the St. Louis fans so as to make it easier to move the team. If that was the situation with Fish, it worked.

If McVay has a few more outstanding seasons, the Rams will have to pay him as a top tier coach. We'll find out in two or three years if that happens.

My opinion is that paying a few more million for a top tier HC will bring more than 20X that amount in added revenue from local advertising and luxury box sales.

Perhaps my reasoning supports St. Louis Loser Fan wishing that there was a real "St. Louisan" owning the team. As they would have likely been more concerned with the week to week winning as apposed to fretting over the day to day operating costs and management's salaries.

by snackdaddy
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:That seems logical but those Fishy Spagslinehasslet hires don't support that theory.

Spags and Linehan were bad hires by the previous regime. Haslett was just an interim coach to finish the season.

To be fair, most people thought Fisher was a good hire at the time. And he did improve the defensive talent. He just can't field a competent offense. It put too much pressure and strain on a good defense. For whatever reason even his 7 win ceiling collapsed on him in 2016.

I think they hit pay dirt with McVay. Do I expect a 15 year run of playoffs every year? Probably not. But right now they have a team built to win. Their focus should be going all in to make a deep playoff run next season. The draft is an exciting time. But I doubt anyone is going to improve their chances in his rookie season.

Free agency is the ticket. And their number one focus should be bringing back guys like Joyner, Robey-Coleman and Watkins. I'd like TruJo back but if he's asking too much they should have a plan B in free agency. I think Sullivan showed he's still got something in the tank. I'm hoping he can return too.

by Elvis
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   38458  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Linehan, Spagnulo and Fisher were all highly regarded candidates at the time they were hired.

You'd could argue McVay was the biggest reach of the 4.

And since Kroenke has been majority owner i don't think cheapness can be cited as an issue. We won a bidding war with Miami for Fisher and then gave him all the money he wanted to fill out his staff.

I don't think Wade's here on the cheap either...

by Hacksaw
6 years 2 months ago

Yeah,, money is not going to be why we might fail...

by dieterbrock
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say McVay’s head coaching career has gotten off to a pretty good start

by Hacksaw
6 years 2 months ago

dieterbrock wrote:I’m going to go out on a limb here and say McVay’s head coaching career has gotten off to a pretty good start

haha,, for sure!

Now we are the guys with the target on our backs. This is a big off season for us. We need to get better...

• 1 / 2
14 posts Apr 19 2024