42 posts
  • 1 / 5
 by AltiTude Ram
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   2178  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2226 ... oordinator

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Titans hired Matt LaFleur as offensive coordinator, selecting him to run their offense and lead quarterback Marcus Mariota to the next level.
LaFleur, who spent the 2017 season as the Rams' offensive coordinator with Jared Goff, left for Tennessee to take a playcalling position, which amounted to a promotion.

Rams head coach Sean McVay could have blocked the move but decided to let LaFleur, 38, progress his career. The Rams promoted Aaron Kromer to run coordinator and Shane Waldron to pass coordinator after LaFleur's departure.

"I'm excited for Matt LaFleur and his family as he transitions to the Titans as offensive coordinator," McVay said in a statement. "We're grateful for his contribution to the Rams and our NFC West Championship season last year. As we move to 2018, we are confident in the leadership and guidance of Aaron Kromer and Shane Waldron as they begin their roles as run coordinator and pass coordinator."

Matt LaFleur is moving from the Rams to the Titans to run their offense. Todd Kirkland/Icon Sportswire
The Titans also officially announced the hire of briefly retired Dean Pees, 68, as defensive coordinator. Pees spent the past eight seasons with the Ravens, including six as defensive coordinator before retiring on Jan. 1.

"I am excited to add both of these guys to our team," Titans head coach Mike Vrabel said in a statement. "Dean brings a great deal of experience and knowledge to our staff. I have seen first-hand how he teaches and develops from our time together and I wanted to bring that same experience to our players here."

Maximizing Mariota and and a talented Titans roster will be a priority for LaFleur. Tennessee advanced to the divisional round of the playoffs this past season, but Mariota took a big step back throwing a career-low 13 passing touchdowns and a career-high 15 interceptions.

Titans general manager Jon Robinson stressed the importance of the relationship between Mariota, LaFleur, quarterbacks coach Pat O'Hara and head coach Mike Vrabel.

"Matt brings an energy and an offensive diversity to our team," Vrabel said in the statement. "He is going to develop an offense that puts our players in position to have success. Matt has worked with some great offensive minds, helped game plan on those staffs and I am looking forward to seeing him take that next step as a play-caller."

LaFleur's work with Goff in L.A. and Matt Ryan in Atlanta makes him an exciting candidate to help advance Mariota in Tennessee.

LaFleur also helped ignite the Rams' offense that went from last in scoring in 2016 to first in 2017. He was the quarterbacks coach during Ryan's MVP 2016 season.
The Titans finished 23rd in total offense and 19th in scoring offense under Mike Mularkey's often-predictable "exotic smashmouth" offense. Terry Robiskie was the playcalling offensive coordinator last season.

Vrabel went with a mixture of experience and youthful energy in filling his coordinator positions.

The Titans are expected to run more collegiate-spread scheme to maximize Mariota's ability in 2018. The Rams have had success with the spread this past season, too.

by AltiTude Ram
6 years 2 months ago
Pro Bowl

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tita ... dean-pees/

Titans announce hires of former Rams OC Matt LaFleur, former Ravens DC Dean Pees

The Titans hired Mike Vrabel as their new head coach last week, and on Tuesday morning, they announced the hirings of their offensive and defensive coordinators. On the offensive side, Vrabel has tabbed former Rams offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur. For defense, he's picked up former Ravens defensive coordinator Dean Pees.

"I am excited to add both of these guys to our staff," Vrabel said, per the team's website. "Dean brings a great deal of experience and knowledge to our staff. I have seen first-hand how he teaches and develops from our time together and I wanted to bring that same experience to our players here."

"Matt brings an energy and an offensive diversity to our team. He is going to develop an offense that puts our players in position to have success. Matt has worked with some great offensive minds, helped game plan on those staffs and I am looking forward to seeing him take that next step as a play-caller."

LaFleur spent last season working under Sean McVay in Los Angeles, and he spent the prior two seasons working as Matt Ryan's quarterbacks coach in Atlanta. The move to Tennessee will allow him to call plays, which he wouldn't have been able to do under McVay.

Pees, who has been coaching in some form or another since 1979 and has been in the NFL since 2004, retired as the Ravens' defensive coordinator earlier this offseason. He'd held that role since 2012 after being promoted from linebackers coach upon Chuck Pagano's departure. His Baltimore defenses were routinely among the best in football.

by snackdaddy
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Well, that was a surprise. Fortunately, McVay is the one running the offense and calling the plays. The one coordinator we can't afford to lose is Phillips. Still, it woulda been nice if Goff had a second year with the same guys. He'll have a different QB coach and OC now. He won't have to go through changing offenses at least. I think if any team could afford to lose their OC it would be the Rams since their head coach is really coordinating the offense.

by Hacksaw
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

I never liked the Titans and I now its irreconcilable....

McVay - O
WP - D
Bone - ST's
We're still in good shape. This is some of the price of success. Darn it.

by AltiTude Ram
6 years 2 months ago
Pro Bowl

I agree Snackdaddy. The Rams offense should be fine without LaFleur.

McVay must be pretty confident also as he could've blocked the move. He gains huge respect around the league for letting him go to call plays. If I was a young coach, I would love to work for McVay and advance my career.

Kromer and newly added Jedd Fisch (not to be confused with Jeff), should be able to help game plan with McVay's system.

by SWAdude
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   2440  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

So no official offensive coordinator for the Rams.

Basically taking one position and splitting into three specialized coaching positions with the HC calling the plays.

This will be interesting to see how this plays out.

In McVay I trust.

by actionjack
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   3944  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

I definitely trust McVay, but this is a loss for sure. A bunch of new voices in Goff's ear this year. Will find out next year how much of it was LaFleur. I really wanted him to stay under McVay for a couple years and than eventually call plays for the Rams. Now it will be a committee approach which seems wonky.

by Elvis
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   38449  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I'm a little surprised. With Vrabel being a defensive guy and so many experienced OC's out there, i figured the Titans would go for experience.

And i do think it's a bit of a loss to lose LaFleur and Olson at the same time but it's the McVay show and we still have McVay...

• 1 / 5
42 posts Apr 18 2024