39 posts
  • 4 / 4
 by moklerman
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:My question was more about if Wentz is as good as his stats are playing on that team? Or are they both close in ability?

The RPO tweak Pederson made blurs the lines a bit but with guys like AJ catching everything and Blount blowing through the holes created by their top O-line, it makes me wonder how Wentz would look playing for a different team.
I don't know if it's a good problem for the Eagles to have or not.

I didn't watch a lot of Wentz's games but when pondering his future, his success from running and broken plays worries me. I mean, it's good that he can make things happen but I don't know how sustainable that is. In terms of play and with injuries.

How many guys have recently burst onto the scene with amazing athletic, streetball type of play at QB and then been nullified? RGIII, CK, etc. Now, I don't know if Wentz definitely falls into their category but his accuracy isn't the greatest already and I still wonder how he's going to progress as a QB(as opposed to an athlete).

Foles just passed the 3 year mark in terms of number of starts and it seems that the game has slowed down for him.

by moklerman
6 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Sure does.
And furthermore, Wentz may be great but knowing now the system he had to work in as opposed to what Goff had to play in and then un-learn, its no wonder how Wentz got so far ahead of Goff.
Foles had shown in the past he could play at an elite level with his 27-2 TD/INT rate and his 7 td performance. So its not surprising that an offensive whiz could bring that out of him.
All told, I'm not sure he gets traded. I don't know if the haul would be worth it. Cant see anyone offering more than a mid round pick at best and with Wentz knee allegedly not being ready for the opener, I cant see why they wouldn't just keep Foles.
I'm still fuzzy on the contract that he signed. It has to be some kind of loophole deal, right? I mean, how is it a 5 year contract if it voids if he's on the roster after next February?

by dieterbrock
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:I'm still fuzzy on the contract that he signed. It has to be some kind of loophole deal, right? I mean, how is it a 5 year contract if it voids if he's on the roster after next February?

It was only a 5 year deal to stretch out his signing bonus over 5 years, yet the contract will and can terminate after the 2nd year. So they will take a cap hit over the remaining 3 years of the deal, even though he will either re-structure and stay or in all likelihood be playing for someone else

by moklerman
6 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:It was only a 5 year deal to stretch out his signing bonus over 5 years, yet the contract will and can terminate after the 2nd year. So they will take a cap hit over the remaining 3 years of the deal, even though he will either re-structure and stay or in all likelihood be playing for someone else
It's the nature of the beast but to me, a contract that can't come to fruition shouldn't be allowed by the CBA.

by dieterbrock
6 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:It's the nature of the beast but to me, a contract that can't come to fruition shouldn't be allowed by the CBA.

I agree completely
Although I wouldn't limit it to just the CBA, it doesn't seem the NFL should approve it either since its a blatant workaround the cap

by moklerman
6 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:I agree completely
Although I wouldn't limit it to just the CBA, it doesn't seem the NFL should approve it either since its a blatant workaround the cap
Just to confuse myself further, the contract only voids if Foles is on the roster. So, the Eagles have to trade him or cut him before Feb. 2019. So, if they trade him before then, they're on the hook for the remainder of his contract?

by dieterbrock
6 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:Just to confuse myself further, the contract only voids if Foles is on the roster. So, the Eagles have to trade him or cut him before Feb. 2019. So, if they trade him before then, they're on the hook for the remainder of his contract?

According to Sportrac, "2019-2021 years automatically void if on the roster 23 days before the 2019 league year"
So whether he's traded or not, the contract will void.
When a player is traded, the contract goes with him. Any signing bonus monies already paid would still hit the prior team's cap

by Hacksaw
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Foles then can wait for the right opportunity. He could sit on the bench all year and still get a good gig the following ...

by dieterbrock
6 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:Foles then can wait for the right opportunity. He could sit on the bench all year and still get a good gig the following ...

Its a strike while the iron is hot league. I don't think he'd be anything near the commodity he is right now if he rides pine all year.
That said, getting Wentz healthy and keeping continuity should be the focus and they ought to keep him

• 4 / 4
39 posts Apr 16 2024