22 posts
  • 2 / 3
 by BobCarl
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   4283  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Dick84 wrote:I'm mostly concerned with the regular beat reporters in newspapers. The eyes on institutions.
some of them are awesome ... I guess they are like lawyers ... some are stellar ... and some are skum ... so yep ... what you said .. you get what you pay for

by BobCarl
6 years 2 months ago
Superstar

Dick84 wrote: good and bad.

First the bad ... from a guy that works for NFL.com:

Another Bad ... from a guy that works for msn.com: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/re ... li=BBnb7Kz

Now the Good:

Good again ... an example of someone doing a little homework:

by BobCarl
6 years 2 months ago
Superstar

Dick84 wrote:It's the institution I'm worried about..
I hear what you are saying. Can you give us an example ... or the context you are conveying?

by BobCarl
6 years 2 months ago
Superstar

Dick84 wrote:Timing... this article came out today.

And.. yes.. I think the overall trend is scary too.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-davo ... SKBN1FB08T

yes it is scary .... if Thordaddy were still with us, he would remind us that raising taxes too much on imports is what started the events leading to the Great Depression.

I hope history doesn't repeat itself.

by BuiltRamTough
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   5357  
Armenia   Los Angeles
Hall of Fame

BuiltRamTough wrote:Humans are slowly fading out..the machines and the internet will take over this planet.

I’m telling you..

by aeneas1
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:The long-term damage being done to our society by the disintegration of a vigorous press is something we don't appreciate at all.

It's sad and frightening.

People don't want to pay for content because they see stuff for free on the internet... and people think it's the same thing.

Welp.. net result? We've got the least involved and least politically literate electorate possible. What a disappointment.

not so sure this is true, frankly i grew so tired of politically leaning print, it wielded so much power and, imo, abused it, it offered a disservice more than a service as far as i could tell... add to this one writer after another exposed for bogus sources, for bogus stories, which i believe was only the tip of the iceberg.

anyway i haven't purchased a newspaper in over a decade, longer even, which i never thought i would say, because they were such a big part of my life, always subscribed to several, in fact a couple of the companies i worked for in my past life required that those in management purchase a subscription to the wsj, altho most already had... it was a different era, which i don't miss at all, other than the daily and sunday crosswords, especially merl reagle's sunday treats!

speaking of which, i went to a dinner party quite a few years ago, one of the guests was an old beat writer for the san francisco chronicle who told some great stories about the paper's heyday in 70s and 80s, that included lavish employee xmas parties, an endless supply of advertising dollars, and huge politcal power, and how it all had nose dived into nothing, to the point where there wasn't any money for xmas parties, he had been laid off a month before.

by aeneas1
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Like Television they need to figure out how to make it work with an advertising based model or it's not gonna happen. People aren't gonna pay...

back in the day the deal was free tv in exchange for having to sit through commercials, somehow that changed to paid-for tv (cable/sat) and still having to sit through commercials... point? the notion/argument that, unlike past generations, millennials are used to getting media content for free is a cop out, their grandparents got media content for free... what millennials and others are tired of is overpaying for content, the new york times is over $500 a year delivered on the west coast, $260 for the sunday times alone, the washington post is over $500 a year delivered if you live in d.c....

and it's really no surprise that major newspapers have failed miserably in cyberspace, it's what happens when you have competition as opposed to being the only print guy on the block... anyway, ad sales always drove print newspapers, and that's what they need to focus on now, in cyberspace, figure out a better way to attract, and charge for, ads, which all starts with eyeballs, site visits, and nickel and diming visitors isn't the best way to attract eyeballs as far as i can tell, clickers will just move on.

• 2 / 3
22 posts Mar 28 2024