47 posts
  • 5 / 5

Will you be watching the Super Bowl this year?

Yes
67%
No
17%
Undecided
17%
 by BobCarl
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   4308  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

moklerman wrote:This ridiculous Super Bowl isn't the only example of how the league has become very slanted in favor of the offenses.

I think the NFL is reaching out for a different generation of mass audience.

They are doing whatever they can to increase their bottom line ... with the salary cap going up every year, the NFL seems to be reaching their goals.

Is this a swing of the pendulum?

by moklerman
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

BobCarl wrote:I think the NFL is reaching out for a different generation of mass audience.

They are doing whatever they can to increase their bottom line ... with the salary cap going up every year, the NFL seems to be reaching their goals.

Is this a swing of the pendulum?
I like the passing game and offense but the pendulum has certainly swung too far in that direction. The running game and defense have virtually disappeared from the game. There is no downside to be imbalanced and predictable anymore. I think that's a problem.

by Hacksaw
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

The offenses lit it up. Both secondaries looked weak. The Eagles looked worse than NE's in the second half by far.
NE. The ball was coming out quickly to neutralize the pass rush.
PA. The protection was very solid with there top O-line.
1 sack the entire game and it was the game changer.
I can see where this game had the potential for what it became. Not so sure it will become the norm though.

I must say that the pussification of the games rules, especially slanted toward offense (in the spirit of safety) has certainly made the game more fun to watch for the casual fan. Everyone is talking about what a great SB it was... Unless you're a fan of defense.

by Elvis
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   38523  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

moklerman wrote:I like the passing game and offense but the pendulum has certainly swung too far in that direction. The running game and defense have virtually disappeared from the game. There is no downside to be imbalanced and predictable anymore. I think that's a problem.

The Jags defense and running game got them all the way to the AFC Championship game in spite of Blake Bortles being their QB.

But does defense win championships? Not yesterday that's for sure...

by moklerman
6 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:The Jags defense and running game got them all the way to the AFC Championship game in spite of Blake Bortles being their QB.

But does defense win championships? Not yesterday that's for sure...
I guess that's all this conversation comes down to, was yesterday an unusual type of game or representative of the league right now? To me, it's become a pass-happy league that caters to offenses.

It isn't just that though, I think having what seems like different officiating during the post season than during the regular season is problematic too.

Oh well, me talking about it isn't going to change anything and most people apparently like the way that it is.

by Elvis
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   38523  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

moklerman wrote:I guess that's all this conversation comes down to, was yesterday an unusual type of game or representative of the league right now? To me, it's become a pass-happy league that caters to offenses.

It isn't just that though, I think having what seems like different officiating during the post season than during the regular season is problematic too.

Oh well, me talking about it isn't going to change anything and most people apparently like the way that it is.

The weird part of your take, to me, is the GSOT is part of what made the league what it is today. And you're a big fan of the GSOT, aren't you?

I think it's great. BB certainly learned the value of the passing game after seeing what we were doing. Pretty much the whole league has. And we helped usher the whole thing in...

by moklerman
6 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:The weird part of your take, to me, is the GSOT is part of what made the league what it is today. And you're a big fan of the GSOT, aren't you?

I think it's great. BB certainly learned the value of the passing game after seeing what we were doing. Pretty much the whole league has. And we helped usher the whole thing in...
Yeah, when it was an exception to the rule, it was great. It was Razzle-Dazzle by Mad Mike and company. Homogenizing that style of football isn't what I hoped for. Re-writing the rules of the league to cater to that style of football isn't what I hoped for.

When teams like the Run and Shoot Oilers or GSOT Rams came along it was different, exciting, came with risks and was hard to sustain. It took just the right players all playing with precision to accomplish it. Brady didn't have Cooks or Edelman and still SHATTERED the SB record for passing yards(505). And that wasn't because he was surgically accurate with his passing all day. He was just lobbing up rainbows to wide open, no-name receivers or dumping off little screens to fullbacks that went for 60 yards.

The GSOT was high risk. Those points took a heavy toll on the QB's. Green blew out a knee. Warner broke his hand various times. Martin and Bulger both got hurt. You wanna play that wide-open type of offense, you had to pay a price. Now? There is no risk to the players and no consequence for being pass-happy.

1,200 yards of offense and just 1 punt and 1 sack combined?

• 5 / 5
47 posts Apr 26 2024