37 posts
  • 2 / 4
 by Gareth
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1207  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

moklerman wrote:They won't go back but I think the only Thursday games should be on Thanksgiving. TNF just cuts into MNF IMO. If most games are on Sunday then MNF and holiday games are a treat. Football every Thursday is too much.

Never understood this kind of logic. If Thursdays are too much football for you-don’t watch.

by moklerman
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Gareth wrote:Never understood this kind of logic. If Thursdays are too much football for you-don’t watch.
It isn't a question of logic, just preference. I don't want Christmas every month either.

by azramsfan93
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1491  
United States of America   Chandler, Arizona
Pro Bowl

BuiltRamTough wrote:TNF is not going anywhere. Networks make bank from it.

It seems that NFL popularity has peaked and is in decline, but it is still the King of sports today. It is also easily more entertaining than the worthless drivel the broadcast networks put out on any given night.

Also, I would not be so sure that TNF goes away in the next collective bargaining agreement. By the existing contract that is $450M less money to split with the players to drive salaries.

by dieterbrock
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:It isn't a question of logic, just preference. I don't want Christmas every month either.

Unless Rams are playing, I often forget that there’s even a game on Thursdays.
I’d rather they go with double headers on Mondays than Thursday night but I’m strange like that

by St. Loser Fan
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   10508  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Unless Rams are playing, I often forget that there’s even a game on Thursdays.
I’d rather they go with double headers on Mondays than Thursday night but I’m strange like that

That's not a half bad idea. East coast game starting at 7pm Eastern. Central/West Coast game starting at 7pm Pacific.

There's no way the NFL and the Networks stop their addiction to Thursday night games. Outside of Thanksgiving they need to go away and I'm afraid the only way they end is if the players put too high a price on them or demand their removal next contract negotiations.

by Elvis
6 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   38381  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

They'll obvioulsy keep doint them as long as the networks will keep paying for them. I don't like how disjointed they are from the rest of the NFL week but i certainly watch...

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journa ... Media.aspx

Sports maintains dominant hold on viewership
By Austin Karp & John Ourand

Published January 15, 2018

NFL games accounted for nine of the top 10 telecasts.

Photo by: GETTY IMAGES Despite a big drop for NFL regular-season viewership during the calendar year 2017, the league — and sports overall — still dominated the TV landscape.

Among the 100 most-viewed shows on TV in 2017, 81 were sports telecasts, which is down from 88 in 2016. But that decline may largely be due to an Olympic year in 2016, with 15 NBC telecasts from the Rio Olympics cracking the top 100 that year.

Only two scripted TV episodes were in the top 100 in 2016, whereas nine made the list in 2017. Also missing from the top telecasts in 2017 were three presidential debates, which came in at Nos. 2-4 in 2016.

Within the top 10, NFL game windows accounted for nine slots (the Oscars were No. 7). Within the top 100, 64 telecasts were NFL games in 2017, compared to 60 in 2016. Outside of the NFL, six of the Astros-Dodgers World Series games on Fox cracked the top 100, while all five of the Warriors-Cavaliers NBA Finals games on ABC made the list as well.

The NCAA Men’s Basketball Championship again cracked the list, as did a Final Four game (North Carolina-Oregon) and one regional final (North Carolina-Kentucky). Two college football games made the list in 2017 — the Clemson-Alabama CFP National Championship and USC-Penn State in the Rose Bowl (both on ESPN).

The Kentucky Derby returned to the top 100 after missing the list in 2016. Outside of the Oscars, the other live non-sports telecasts to crack the list in 2017 were the Grammys, “New Year’s Rockin’ Eve,” Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, Golden Globes, an episode of “America’s Got Talent,” the 50th anniversary special for the “Carol Burnett Show” and the red carpet special for the Oscars. Five episodes of “NCIS” made the list, as did two episodes of “The Big Bang Theory.”

by Elvis
6 years 2 months ago
Administrator

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dail ... BD%20Email

Three Networks Submit Bids For NFL's "TNF" Package; ABC, Turner Not Among Them

By John Ourand, Staff Writer

Published January 22, 2018 Font Size Resize Small Resize Normal Resize Large | Print | Share |

Surprisingly, only three TV networks -- CBS, Fox and NBC -- submitted formal bids for the NFL’s “TNF” package, suggesting that the TV home for the much-criticized package could change next season. Sources say that CBS and NBC submitted bids that would pay a lower rights fee than they currently pay -- a combined $450M per year. Both networks lost money on the current package and sources say advertiser interest in the package is not as keen as it used to be. That would seem to open the door for Fox, which put in a bid that would increase the current rights fee, though it is not known how much higher Fox’ bid went. Fox’ aggressiveness comes as it wants to make a statement about the broadcast network’s future and wants to make a point that it still will be active with sports rights in the wake of Disney’s pending purchase of 21st Century Fox’ entertainment assets and RSNs. ESPN was expected to submit a bid to have games on ABC this year, but execs decided at the last minute against submitting anything because they were not able to develop a profitable business plan given the current rights fees. CBS and NBC have stated publicly that they lose money on the package. Turner Sports also did not submit a bid for the package, marking the first time it has not been part of the “TNF” bidding process since the league first sold it to CBS in ‘14. The NFL in previous bids had made it clear that it would not sell the package to a cable channel, and Turner execs opted not to serve as a stalking horse to help the league push the rights fee higher. Turner also is hamstrung by the fact that it is in the midst of being acquired by AT&T, and that merger is tied up in the court system right now. “TNF” viewership dropped on both CBS and NBC this year. CBS averaged 14.1 million viewers for its five games, down 4% from last season and down 20% from '15. NBC averaged 13.5 million viewers for its five “TNF” games, down 21% from its first season with the package. Despite the drop, “TNF” still is a top five program on primetime TV.

DIGITAL SIDE: Facebook has opted against bidding for the package this time, according to a report last week from Bloomberg. Amazon, which had streaming rights last season, is believed to have submitted a bid, as has Twitter, which held the rights the previous season. The NFL is expected to make a decision on the package in the next several weeks, probably after the Super Bowl.

by Elvis
6 years 2 months ago
Administrator

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/nfl-tv-ratings-roger-goodell-1.16317173

Roger Goodell focusing on getting younger fans to watch NFL games
Amid a ratings drop, the commissioner believes that league has to reach out to millennials by making games available on phones and tablets.

By Brian Heyman
Special to Newsday
Updated January 23, 2018 7:00 PM

The NFL took a ratings hit for the second straight season, dropping nearly 10 percent. So Roger Goodell has yet another challenge on his hands.

“I don’t know if it’s a decline in popularity,” the commissioner said when asked about a more general decline in sports popularity during a Q&A conducted by Macy’s executive chairman Terry Lundgren at The Economic Club of New York’s luncheon Tuesday in Manhattan. “I think we live in a much different world.

“We focus an awful lot on millennials and Generation X. This isn’t probably the right term, but they’re probably more distracted. They have more options. They have more opportunities to go get information whenever they want. We have to adjust as a league to that. We have been focused on that.

“That’s why we’re focusing on new deals with Verizon, as an example, to make our games available on handsets and phones and tablets so that our younger fans, in particular, who are more likely to watch on a tablet or phone, have that available to them . . . You have to make your product accessible . . . That’s the challenge for us is that our fan base, our society, technology, is all changing.”

There are also other theories about the downturn, among them that fans have been turned off by the players’ anthem protests and by the concussion/CTE controversy.

But Goodell, who received a five-year extension last month worth up to $200 million, lauded the league’s investment in concussion research and the steps taken over player safety, calling it “our No. 1 priority.”

“We’ve had close to 50 rule changes in the last 10 years that have all been designed to make the game safer,” Goodell said.

The game is still enormously popular despite the ratings drop. Goodell said, “We’ll probably have close to 200 million fans watching the Super Bowl in less than two weeks. You can’t get that anywhere . . Our content is in great demand because we make it special and want to keep it that way.”

He credited fantasy football as a help to the cause.

“I got a surprise a year ago when my daughters came home and said, ‘Dad, we’re playing fantasy football,’ ” Goodell said. “ . . . It creates a reason to watch.”

More than 90 percent of NFL fans never attend a game, according to Goodell. But whether or not they’re watching in person, Goodell said the “game presentation” for the typical three hour-plus event is important.

“So we’re trying to find ways to take what we call ‘the downtime’ out of the game,” Goodell said. “We may not necessarily get the game to 2:30 — we could — but we want to make every aspect of that entertaining.”

• 2 / 4
37 posts Mar 29 2024