191 posts
  • 17 / 20
 by /zn/
6 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   6771  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

pmill66 wrote:Could see a player like Wynn be the 1st round pick after a trade down. Say the rams move down to 30 or so, Wynn is the highest player left on the board by a bit. That is a dilemma. Reach for a need, or take a better player that certainly help down the road. Tough to pass on taking the better player. Reaching rarely turns out well.

They're not going to reach for a need. They haven't yet why would they start.

They're also not going to draft a player they DON'T need just for the sake of on paper value.

It's the first round, there will be options, it won't be hard to figure out.

by /zn/
6 years 3 months ago
Hall of Fame

river wrote:He turned 36 a month ago.

And he will be 37 this time next year.

AND at that time 3 other Rams OL will be FAs after 2018: Saffold, Brown, Hav.

So at that point you have a 37 year old Whit who would be breaking the odds to play 3 years, 3 FAs on the OL, and as of right now no future center.

Now you can draft 3 in 2019 if you want, and hope that Whit is still playing on top of it, but they won't sign all 3 guys (they can't) AND I have never seen a draft produce 3 viable longterm OL starters, let alone 4. The smarter thing is to try to address at least some of that before the 2018 season, not after, when it becomes this big crisis.

by river
6 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   111  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

/zn/ wrote:And he will be 37 this time next year.

AND at that time 3 other Rams OL will be FAs after 2018: Saffold, Brown, Hav.

So at that point you have a 37 year old Whit who would be breaking the odds to play 3 years, 3 FAs on the OL, and as of right now no future center.

Now you can draft 3 in 2019 if you want, and hope that Whit is still playing on top of it, but they won't sign all 3 guys (they can't) AND I have never seen a draft produce 3 viable OL starters, let alone 4.

And if you had read my OP you will see that I had already mentioned what you were so thoughtful to add.

by /zn/
6 years 3 months ago
Hall of Fame

river wrote:And if you had read my OP you will see that I had already mentioned what you were so thoughtful to add.

Fact is you didn't address what I said. You had this vague trust the coaches thing going. But what have the coaches done so far? They made a good line out of 3 inherited players and signing 2 FAs when they still could afford FAs (they won't be able to in 2019).

What they DIDN'T do was act as if you could field a good line made up entirely of guys drafted in one year.

So...they will need at least 2 years. And even that's not ideal if they have to replace 4 or 5 guys.

In any event that includes this year.

And THAT includes the 1st round pick as a consideration.

Which is all anyone is saying.

Oh and my OP in this thread is on page one. I won't demand you read it though, that would seem silly. 8-)

by pmill66
6 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   152  
Rookie

/zn/ wrote:They're not going to reach for a need. They haven't yet why would they start.

They're also not going to draft a player they DON'T need just for the sake of on paper value.

It's the first round, there will be options, it won't be hard to figure out.

Tavon was not a reach in 2013? Had to find a playmaker, gave up a 2nd rounder to get him. That defines a reach, IMO.

Dont know what paper value is, but certainly drafting a position, such as OG, that could be a need down the road, would have to be considered. The write up for Wynn was a potential pro bowl player, if the Rams feel that way sure would be tough to pass up that drafting in the bottom of the first round.

Its a challenge for the rams drafting at 23 this year, things could before the pick comes up that is unexpected. A bit tougher that prior years, where the Rams were drafting in the top 10 4 out of 5 years.

by river
6 years 3 months ago
Practice Squad

/zn/ wrote:Fact is you didn't address what I said. You had this vague trust the coaches thing going. But what have the coaches done so far? They made a good line out of 3 inherited players and signing 2 FAs when they still could afford FAs (they won't be able to in 2019).

What they DIDN'T do was act as if you could field a good line made up entirely of guys drafted in one year.

So...they will need at least 2 years. And even that's not ideal if they have to replace 4 or 5 guys.

In any event that includes this year.

And THAT includes the 1st round pick as a consideration.

Which is all anyone is saying.

Oh and my OP in this thread is on page one. I won't demand you read it though, that would seem silly. 8-)

First, I stated they should extend Saffold this off-season, that eliminates one problem.
Second, I did mention that Havenstein, Brown & perhaps even Sullivan will need dealing with.
I happen to believe the Rams will make a play to re-sign Havenstein next year (after the the 2018 season). At the moment, imo, Jamon Brown is replaceable, so re-signing him or not is no bother for me. Whether Blythe can replace Sullivan in 2019 I can't answer, but Centers and OG's are often found in the middle rounds, so again, not worried yet with Kromer calling the shots. Hell, if I thought the Rams could afford it, i'd add Carolina OG Andrew Norwell to my list of free agents right now and trade Jamon Brown. So between now and whenever Whitworth is no longer useful, my only concerns are with finding his eventual replacement, finding Sullivan's eventual replacement, and adding another OG. Finding two of those guys in two drafts doesn't seem impossible, and finding Whitworth's potential replacement in 3 drafts also doesn't seem impossible. For the rest of you, go ahead and panic.

by /zn/
6 years 3 months ago
Hall of Fame

pmill66 wrote:Tavon was not a reach in 2013? Had to find a playmaker, gave up a 2nd rounder to get him. That defines a reach, IMO.

Dont know what paper value is, but certainly drafting a position, such as OG, that could be a need down the road, would have to be considered. The write up for Wynn was a potential pro bowl player, if the Rams feel that way sure would be tough to pass up that drafting in the bottom of the first round.

Its a challenge for the rams drafting at 23 this year, things could before the pick comes up that is unexpected. A bit tougher that prior years, where the Rams were drafting in the top 10 4 out of 5 years.

No I don't see Tavon as a "reach." They traded up because he wasn't going to make it to 16, their original spot. But then in 2015 Cignetti got 9 offensive TDs out of him so, I have no problem with that pick. He just doesn't fit McV's plans.

23 is not a bad place to pick at all. Think of it as a high 2nd rounder. There's always value there.

I wouldn't draft a guard in the first round btw. They can find guards after round 2. They face not having a Left OT sooner rather than later, and as a rule you CAN'T find good Left OTs after round 2.

Rams draft well, I expect that to continue.

by river
6 years 3 months ago
Practice Squad

Dick84 wrote:He'll be 37 next year and your projecting three more seasons out of him?
How many starting LTs play at a high level at 36 and up? I'm not saying it can't happen.. .I'm saying betting on it is really enthusiastic.
His play, according to one objective source (not saying it's perfect) Pff, showed a definite step back today. Andy Benoit also had some observations that he thinks Whit wins on smarts and great technique.. but no longer has the athleticism to recover like he used to. That was one of the things that made him elite.

edit... the thread wasn't about "replacing" Williams.. it was about whether Williams is good enough to be a replacement for a while if Whitworth goes down. "Passable".

Look, Whitworth may soon be past elite status, but remaining serviceable is still better than anything we've had in ages. As I said, the 2018 draft gives McVay all 7 regular draft picks for the first time as H.C., if Whitworth is done Snead will be in a position to move up in the draft due to this, and we'll likely be drafting higher if Whitworth fails, although I highly doubt Rams management are worried about his imminent demise at this very moment. jmo.

by /zn/
6 years 3 months ago
Hall of Fame

river wrote:Look, Whitworth may soon be past elite status, but remaining serviceable is still better than anything we've had in ages.

That's not the issue. No one is debating that. Another way to look at it is this. AW demonstrated how important LOT is, as if we didn't already know. Well he will not be the Rams LOT indefinitely. Therefore caring about LOT means wanting to see that addressed. And for me that does not mean waiting till AW has a subpar year and then watching as the Rams are forced to start a rookie at LOT when there may not be anyone any good in the draft when that happens.

They are about to face replacing up to FOUR guys, so it's not as if there won't be spots to use a 2018 pick. AW played guard for up 3 seasons in CINN before switching to LOT, Rams can do that too (or ROT). And that's assuming AW even lasts that long.

• 17 / 20
191 posts Apr 28 2024