13 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by aeneas1
8 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

here's a look at the 4th quarter td pass to tavon, the play nick double clutched to avoid bucannon (ss), who had dropped back into coverage after showing blitz, it was a heady play by nick, and a perfect throw, just beyond powers' (rcb) outstretched fingertips, a hair to the right and powers was in perfect position to defend it, just a bang bang play.

a couple of other notes: minter (lb), bucannon (ss) and jefferson (s) showed blitz presnap, all rushed the line of scrimmage at the snap of the ball, but bucannon quickly dropped back into coverage,and is the guy who caused nick to double clutch, a well executed defensive play, but a better executed offensive play... the cards ended up send 6 pass rushers on the play, and benny did a tremendous job picking up the blitzing jefferson... also, check out peterson in the second gif, which i boxed in yellow, after he realizes it was a td catch:

here's a look ar gurley's first big run, a 52-yarder, on 1st and 10 in the 4th... the rams ran the exact same play to close out the game, which netted a 30-yard gainer for gurley, both runs were setup with fake sweeps to the in-motion tavon, who was split left, and with cook lined up as the h-back.

the entire oline did a fantastic job on this play, especially the interior oline, and especially barnes... at the snap of the ball barnes shot left and blindsided the tackle, knocked him completely off balance, which allowed jamon to polish him off, barnes then moved to the second level and made a great open field block on jefferson (ss)... and safoold absolutely manhandled his guy after getting inside position, threw him to the ground, the sort of thing that often earns a flag... also highlighted, the cards linebackers, who were frozen for moment given they had to respect a potential sweep to tavon, and havenstein hustling downfield:

and here's gurley's second big run to close out the game, a 30-yarder, same personnel and formation as the 52-yarder, with tavon split left, cook in the backfield, stedman in the slot, and kenny split right, setup with tavon in-motion showing sweep... more great oline blocking created an great seal which allowed gurley to run wide left for a lot of yards:

and here's a comparison of the personnel and formations for gurley's two big runs shown above, the top photo is the 52-yarder, the second photo is the 30-yarder:

by Hacksaw
8 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Very impressive way to make your points. I like these. There were a number of times our young line looked formidable.

by Stranger
8 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   3213  
Superstar

What might we see defenses, and the Packers, do to try to stop Gurley on these fake sweeps to the in-motion tavon? Any thoughts?

by TSFH Fan
8 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   699  
United States of America   The OC
Veteran

here's gurley's second big run to close out the game, a 30-yarder, same personnel and formation as the 52-yarder, with tavon split left, cook in the backfield, stedman in the slot, and kenny split right, setup with tavon in-motion showing sweep...

Someone might ask: Well, how does Tavon coming across the formation work to influence the defense? The answer is that it's part of the offensive scheme that's been set up throughout the season:

Rams Split Zone End Around
http://www.syedschemes.com/rams15/

Rams Todd Gurley broke out in Week 4 for 146 yards on 19 carries while Tavon Austin had 116 yards from scrimmage with 2 touchdowns. Rams Offensive Coordinator Frank Cignetti has put both players in a position to succeed with excellent play calling and creative play design. One particular set of plays that Cignetti has set up is a split zone end around package. The package begins with the end around threat from the speed of Tavon Austin:

From there, Cignetti incorporates the split zone concept. Split zone is a zone run scheme with an H-Back/TE/FB coming across the formation to kick out the back side. When Cignetti incorporates the two concepts to form the split zone end around look, the defense is given a very difficult mixed flow read:
Focus on the circled defender, #20 Safety Deone Bucannon. Bucannon would be in position to make the tackle on Gurley, but actually runs away from the play because he is influenced by Austin on the end around. Cignetti has set this up over the course of the season with his playcalling. Jared Cook (#89) coming across the formation also gives Bucannon a mixed flow read which is hard to diagnose for a 2nd level defender. This allows the right tackle to block him, which would not otherwise be possible. The result is a huge run for Gurley:

Just a few minutes later, the Rams run the exact same play. This time, #28 Justin Bethel is influenced by the end around action and Cook coming across the formation, once again leading to a huge play:

Cignetti has also incorporated a play action pass deep shot off of the split zone end around. The week before, the Rams used the same look and threw the ball down the field for a big play:
This will help keep the secondary back on their heels when they diagnose the play correctly as the season goes on:

Look for the Rams to continue having success with the split zone end around package, as Gurley and Austin are both playmakers who only need a sliver of space to make a huge play. Cignetti’s play design also greatly helps the offensive line. As for the next step in this package, look for the Rams to run two plays. First, a screen, where the Rams fake the split zone and end around, have a deep route, but then set up a screen to Gurley off the original fake. Next, play action to Gurley with Austin swinging behind, and a throw to deep crossing patterns from the Wideouts. The Rams may also incorporate some Ghost Motion throws to Tavon Austin.

by aeneas1
8 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

TSFH Fan wrote:
here's gurley's second big run to close out the game, a 30-yarder, same personnel and formation as the 52-yarder, with tavon split left, cook in the backfield, stedman in the slot, and kenny split right, setup with tavon in-motion showing sweep...

Someone might ask: Well, how does Tavon coming across the formation work to influence the defense? The answer is that it's part of the offensive scheme that's been set up throughout the season:

Rams Split Zone End Around
http://www.syedschemes.com/rams15/

great site, and great read, heck if i would have found it on my own i could have pimped some of those gifs for my post instead of making my own! but, yeah, tavon split wide, certainly brings a lot to the table in terms play design options, could be what's keeping quick on the bench?

by TSFH Fan
8 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   699  
United States of America   The OC
Veteran

Stranger wrote:What might we see defenses, and the Packers, do to try to stop Gurley on these fake sweeps to the in-motion tavon? Any thoughts?

Penetration! That's what she said?!? Who?

I'm not an X's and O's guy, but I've seen penetration suggested on several sites like this:
Well, my experience taught me that against an effective zone blocking scheme I would have to switch into a 4 man front and play either a gap or stack front. In the 4 man gap front, the defensive linemen would align in the gaps and shoot through on the snap; this is an aggressive counter attack that takes away the double team, and penetrates up field making it difficult for the offensive line to get to the linebackers. It creates a more one on one battle for your defensive line and they are taught to get straight up field on the snap and not get "washed down".

http://thecoacheschair.blogspot.com/201 ... cheme.html

by snackdaddy
8 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

That play by Foles against the cards is something people never thought he was capable of. He did two things there that were very good. The pump fake got the defender in the air allowing Tavon to cross past him. The throw was perfect. Good catch too. Very impressive.

That TD pass to Britt I noticed #34 recognized something, yet he reacted late to Britt. I'm not smart enough to know why, but I would imagine the fake to Tavon caused him to freeze long enough to make sure it wasn't a run.

It was a well designed play nonetheless. #26 was ready to pick up Tavon running a route, but Tavon did an end around causing confusion with #26. He stayed home to make sure no one was coming his way, but he ended up with no one to cover. #34 back pedaled the middle of the field but there was no receiver there. He was late on the help because of that.

I'm not sure if it was a poor job of the defenders not recognizing a play or just a great play design. I think it was just a great play design because #34 had to cover the middle of the field in case of a deep crossing route and #26 had to stay home in case it was a misdirection coming his way. They basically couldn't be in two places at once.

by laram
8 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   444  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

Great play designs and execution by the Rams, as well as the breakdown by posters.

Well done!

by Hacksaw_64
8 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   2686  
United States of America   Inglewood, CA

laram wrote:Great play designs and execution by the Rams, as well as the breakdown by posters.

Well done!

Welcome aboard laram!

by aeneas1
8 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:That play by Foles against the cards is something people never thought he was capable of. He did two things there that were very good. The pump fake got the defender in the air allowing Tavon to cross past him. The throw was perfect. Good catch too. Very impressive.

That TD pass to Britt I noticed #34 recognized something, yet he reacted late to Britt. I'm not smart enough to know why, but I would imagine the fake to Tavon caused him to freeze long enough to make sure it wasn't a run.

It was a well designed play nonetheless. #26 was ready to pick up Tavon running a route, but Tavon did an end around causing confusion with #26. He stayed home to make sure no one was coming his way, but he ended up with no one to cover. #34 back pedaled the middle of the field but there was no receiver there. He was late on the help because of that.

I'm not sure if it was a poor job of the defenders not recognizing a play or just a great play design. I think it was just a great play design because #34 had to cover the middle of the field in case of a deep crossing route and #26 had to stay home in case it was a misdirection coming his way. They basically couldn't be in two places at once.

actually foles didn't pump fake, he saw the blitz, knew where tavon was going to be (probably his hot read), looked to him immediately, then began to fire, but bucannon surprised foles by quickly dropping back into coverage after showing blitz, that wide open field wasn't there any more, fortunately foles saw him at the last moment, reloaded to give tavon a chance to clear bucannon, then fired a strike, at least that's what it looked like to me....

re the td pass to britt, it was actually to stedman, trips right, great route by stedman, perfect pass by foles, and nice pass pro, not sure about the #34 you mentioned, cards don't have a #34 on their active, but stedman faked mathieu (fs) out of his jockstrap, and ended up beating him badly for the td...

• 1 / 2
13 posts Apr 18 2024