52 posts
  • 6 / 6
 by max
6 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   5591  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:That's my vote. They not only hired McVay, which was obviously a home run, they kept Snead, kept Fassel, and McVay brought in Phillips. They already had a pretty good roster, except at LOT and WR, and just needed to maximize what they had, which McVay clearly has.

And yesterday they not only benefited from having Goff, Gurley, Donald, and Quinn, it was other guys too--Cooper, Hill, and Joyner among others.

They won in every phase.

That promises a future team that could be simply great.

One correction. McVay kept Fassel. This is his staff, he wasn't told he had to keep any of the coaches.

And McVay is the key to all of the success. Take him out of the equation and the whole formula falls apart. Lets not entertain any thoughts that if we had retained Fisher they would have had success this year.

by /zn/
6 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   6788  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

max wrote:One correction. McVay kept Fassel. This is his staff, he wasn't told he had to keep any of the coaches.

And McVay is the key to all of the success. Take him out of the equation and the whole formula falls apart. Lets not entertain any thoughts that if we had retained Fisher they would have had success this year.

Yeah I put it wrong on Fassel.

But I believe McVay has done better than virtually ANY other hire would have.

Fisher would have done better in the past if not for things no 2017 Rams coach, no matter who it was, had to cope with--OL disarray, qb disarray, a move, an especially green rookie qb. I always look at the context. I never do the reductionist "it's all one thing" move. To me it just plain never rings true.

McVay is a great hire, for example, and promises great things for years to come. He's better than Fisher because he's also better than virtually any other hire they could have made (except I do notice that Shanahan's 9ers are predictably getting better now that they have at least a qb...).

But McVay also inherited a lot. I have noticed over the years that one year turnarounds are almost invariably done by teams that have a lot of talent already in place. Like Harbaugh in SF in 2011.

That's not to minimize what he's done. We just lucked out. A great coach got added to a team that already had a lot in place. He maximized it, and probably did so at a level few other coaches could.

• 6 / 6
52 posts May 18 2024