337 posts
  • 2 / 34
 by Hacksaw
6 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

I got some heat for this notion but I agree. And there is this I posted in another thread.
There are about to be monetary consequences. That never makes anyone happy.
ad2.JPG

by dieterbrock
6 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

The only leverage Donald has (which really isnt any) is the threat of sitting out a year.
He cant force a trade per se, but if his holdout does hit regular season, the players association files a grievance and forces a trade.
It doesn't do the Rams any good to let it go that far.
If the impasse is that far off, they should start getting some trade offers.
I hate that it would go that way but it is what it is

by dieterbrock
6 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:I got some heat for this notion but I agree. And there is this I posted in another thread.
There are about to be monetary consequences. That never makes anyone happy.

He can be fined but IIRC teams waive that once players are re-signed. He will get a new contract so the additional accrued season is pretty meaningless.
Who is impacted severely by this is LeVeon Bell who didnt sign his tender

by TomSlick
6 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   2908  
Italy   Many of us know the feeling of the universe conspiring to bring car and driver together.
Superstar

Make the team better...if that means a trade...great, I'm all for it.

by Elvis
6 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   38705  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Pretty much everyone agrees that Donald is worth a guaranteed $60 million, give or take, right now.

The idea that he would risk that and play for $2 million is absurd. It's never going to happen. There's too much money on the line, it's too big of a risk.

Everyone knows this. They have to work it out, one way or another...

by norcalramfan
6 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   321  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

If the Rams get a strong indication their offer is not good enough and he intends to sit the season out I think they should consider trading him and getting a "king's ransom" in return. Unlike Fisher, McVay will know what kind of players fit into his system and a haul could lead to the development of a strong team for many, many years.

Do I want him traded....of course not. I want him to be a Ram for his entire career, but he signed his rookie deal presumably with the same agent representation and to now hold the organization hostage is selfish.

by RamsFanSince82
6 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   5851  
United States of America   So. Cal.
Hall of Fame

There's no way he's going to miss the season. It wouldn't benefit him at all. The Rams would still hold his rights for two more seasons.

The report from ESPN’s Adam Schefter regarding the pessimism surrounding the Aaron Donald holdout includes a claim from an unnamed source that the Rams defensive tackle may sit out the entire season. Regardless, there’s no way that will happen.

Apart from the fact that hardly any who huff and puff about skipping a full season ever do, Donald gains nothing by not playing this year. He gets no compensation (duh) and, more importantly, he doesn’t get a year of credit toward finishing his contract.

The Rams hold Donald’s rights for two more years. If he skips the full season, they’ll still hold his rights for two more years.
The key will be to show up on time to get the benefit of the Joey Galloway ruling from nearly a generation ago. League insiders believe eight games are the most that can be missed by a player under contract in order to comfortabley take advantage of the Galloway ruling.

Donald already has forfeited a year of service toward free agency, but that doesn’t matter since he’s under contract for two more years. If he misses more than eight games, he risks being in the same position next year that he’s in this year.

by TomSlick
6 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   2908  
Italy   Many of us know the feeling of the universe conspiring to bring car and driver together.
Superstar

So he could miss 8 games. That's not trivial. Not the attitude McVay is looking for I would think.

by BobCarl
6 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   4322  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

TomSlick wrote: Not the attitude McVay is looking for I would think.

The issue is above McVay's level of pecking ... and ... McVay has no recourse on this issue.

$$-wise, missing 8 games of income is less than 2% of the total Contract he is going to get.

by max
6 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   5587  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

I always thought Donald loved to play football. Lived and breathed football. And now he is considering sitting out an entire year for the first time in his life because he's not getting everything he wants two years before his current deal ends?

If this situation continues, eventually the Rams will leak out what they are offering him before they trade him or let him sit out the year. And that will be very interesting. Although I don't think it will come to that.

• 2 / 34
337 posts May 12 2024