by moklerman
8 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-eve ... 3e62833d12
Mannion Making Adjustment to NFL
Austin Lankford
Quarterback is football’s toughest and most important position, especially during a transition to the NFL, and through June, Rams’ rookie Sean Mannion is making positive early strides.

St. Louis drafted Mannion this year in the third round out of Oregon State where he was a four-year starter. He left the Beavers as the program’s all-time leader in passing touchdowns, yards, completions, and attempts. Standing at 6-foot-6 and listed at 233 pounds, Mannion has the dimensions of a prototypical NFL quarterback. Records and figures might align, but Mannion is now focused on properly making the switch to becoming a pro.

“It’s been great just coming in and working with the veterans. They are all great guys and we have a great quarterback room,” Mannion said at OTAs. “I’m just trying to get to know them and obviously getting to know the playbook. I think I’m picking up the offense really well and I think it’s just a matter of knowing all the little adjustments and little details to every play.”

During OTAs, Mannion, along with rookies throughout the league, found out quickly that in the NFL, the little details become much more significant.

“Everything is so fine,” the rookie signal-caller said. “I think there might be balls where in college it could be a completion and in the NFL it’s not going to be a completion. So I think the margin for error, to me, has been the thing that’s stood out as the biggest difference from college.”

While Mannion is the lone rookie in the Rams’ quarterback group, he isn’t the only one who’s learning under offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti for the first time. He’s working alongside new Ram and starting quarterback, Nick Foles.

“It’s kind of unique because Nick has been going through the process of learning as well,” Mannion said. “I think it has been great, but at the same time, even though he’s new to this system he has a ton of knowledge on being a pro and different concepts he ran in Philadelphia. But like I said, I’m still trying to lean on the veterans.”

With Foles as the starter, Mannion will begin battling for the backup QB spot against Case Keenum and Austin Davis when training camp begins in late July.

by moklerman
8 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

I'm superstitious about numbers so it always bothered me that Bradford went with #8 with the Rams instead of #14 like he wore in college. Now Mannion's got #14 but he was #4 in college so, I don't know...

by den-the-coach
8 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   870  
United States of America   Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Veteran

moklerman wrote:I'm superstitious about numbers so it always bothered me that Bradford went with #8 with the Rams instead of #14 like he wore in college. Now Mannion's got #14 but he was #4 in college so, I don't know...

Bradford went with 8 because of Aikman and I was okay with that 14 over 4 makes sense because 4 was taken by Greg Zuerlein so he still kept the 4 concept in the number. I'm not superstitious I'm a little stitious, but not when it comes to numbers. The only Quarterback to lead the Rams to a Super Bowl donned 13 so I never thought numbers had anything to do with it and I'm stoked Foles took five because I always thought that looked good for a QB, but I wish him better than Dieter Brock.

by bubbaramfan
8 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   1117  
United States of America   Carson Landfill
Pro Bowl

Mannion will have a greater chance of success than most QB's coming out of college. He doesn't have a time schedule to keep and isn't going to be relied upon this year and probably not next year either. He's got to X NFL qb's in Wienke and Garcia to help groom him. Throw him in during garbage time and bring him along slowly from there. His situation with the Rams is the best a QB coming out of college could hope for.

by moklerman
8 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

den-the-coach wrote:
moklerman wrote:I'm superstitious about numbers so it always bothered me that Bradford went with #8 with the Rams instead of #14 like he wore in college. Now Mannion's got #14 but he was #4 in college so, I don't know...

Bradford went with 8 because of Aikman and I was okay with that 14 over 4 makes sense because 4 was taken by Greg Zuerlein so he still kept the 4 concept in the number. I'm not superstitious I'm a little stitious, but not when it comes to numbers. The only Quarterback to lead the Rams to a Super Bowl donned 13 so I never thought numbers had anything to do with it and I'm stoked Foles took five because I always thought that looked good for a QB, but I wish him better than Dieter Brock.

Yeah, I just mean in my own way, not in believing every superstition out there. #13 was Warner's number throughout his college/pro career for the most part so it didn't break my "rule". If he'd stuck with #10, then it would.

With Bradford, it's apparent that he doesn't care about his number since he's now wearing #7. He's all over the place but I think at some level, a number helps a player with their...I don't know, "identity" for lack of a better word.

And, I agree that Brock rocked the #5. I thought he looked cool in it. Too bad his shoulder was shot. Unfortunately for me, Foles wearing it doesn't remind me of Brock, it reminds me of Kerry Collins(Tennessee/Fisher).

by OldSchool
8 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   1750  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

I agree with Bubba and I'm really pulling for Mannion. He wasn't my first pick choice to draft but I like the kid and like what we've heard about him thus far.

by TomSlick
8 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   2907  
Italy   Many of us know the feeling of the universe conspiring to bring car and driver together.
Superstar

bubbaramfan wrote:Mannion will have a greater chance of success than most QB's coming out of college. He doesn't have a time schedule to keep and isn't going to be relied upon this year and probably not next year either. He's got to X NFL qb's in Wienke and Garcia to help groom him. Throw him in during garbage time and bring him along slowly from there. His situation with the Rams is the best a QB coming out of college could hope for.

Well said, amigo. I think coach Garcia is going to pay major dividends for this team.

by moklerman
8 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

TomSlick wrote:
bubbaramfan wrote:Mannion will have a greater chance of success than most QB's coming out of college. He doesn't have a time schedule to keep and isn't going to be relied upon this year and probably not next year either. He's got to X NFL qb's in Wienke and Garcia to help groom him. Throw him in during garbage time and bring him along slowly from there. His situation with the Rams is the best a QB coming out of college could hope for.

Well said, amigo. I think coach Garcia is going to pay major dividends for this team.
"Think" or hope? He's scrappy and an NFL over-achiever as a player but what about him suggests he'll pay major dividends as a position coach? I'm honestly asking because I haven't heard anything about his post-playing career(compared to, say, Weinke).

by den-the-coach
8 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   870  
United States of America   Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Veteran

moklerman wrote:
Unfortunately for me, Foles wearing it doesn't remind me of Brock, it reminds me of Kerry Collins(Tennessee/Fisher).

Now you jinxed it bringing up Kerry Collins....Could not stand him although he did have some good years, but he was a Statue in the Pocket...Foles reminds me more athletically of our own Roman Gabriel...Gabe did not have the legs of a Greg Landry, but when the opportunity presented itself, he took off and could move the chains. This is where I feel Foles is underrated, he showcases that ability and his basketball background, IMO, makes him more nimble then given credit for.

by moklerman
8 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

den-the-coach wrote:
moklerman wrote:
Unfortunately for me, Foles wearing it doesn't remind me of Brock, it reminds me of Kerry Collins(Tennessee/Fisher).

Now you jinxed it bringing up Kerry Collins....Could not stand him although he did have some good years, but he was a Statue in the Pocket...Foles reminds me more athletically of our own Roman Gabriel...Gabe did not have the legs of a Greg Landry, but when the opportunity presented itself, he took off and could move the chains. This is where I feel Foles is underrated, he showcases that ability and his basketball background, IMO, makes him more nimble then given credit for.

Foles has definitely surprised people with his running at times but looking at his stats, 2012 and 2014 look very Collins-esque. IMO, he racked up some yards in 2013 due to defenses scrambling to figure out what Kelly wanted to do and there were large voids for even a slow footed QB to exploit.

Under normal circumstances, I don't think Foles is going to be doing any running. He's going to be a pocket QB and get very few rushing yards under Jeff Fisher.

• 1 / 5
43 posts Mar 29 2024