• 1 / 6
 by Elvis
8 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   38448  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Rams: Focus During Legal Tampering Period Is On Own Players

Posted on March 7, 2016 by Vincent Bonsignore

With 11 unrestricted free agents left on the board, almost all of whom they have an interesting in retaining, the Rams will spend most of the first day of the 48-hour legal tampering period of free agency focused on their own players.

The legal tampering period begins today at 1 p.m. PST.

That doesn’t mean they won’t reach out to other unrestricted free agents across the NFL – with whom they can negotiate all aspects of an NFL player contract” over the next two days but can not technically agree to anything – but their primary focus is on their own free agents.

The bulk of which is on defense, which means retaining starting cornerback Janoris Jenkins, free safety Rodney McLeod, outside linebacker Mark Barron and defensive linemen William Hayes, Eugene Sims and Nick Fairley.

Among the other unrestricted free agents are K Greg Zuerlein, WR Brian Quick, WR Wes Welker, TE Cory Harkey and C Tim Barnes.

The Rams have already addressed one of their UFA’s by tagging starting cornerback Trumaine Johnson with the franchise tag. Johnson agreed to the designation and will earn $13.9 million in 2016. The Rams will continue to work with Johnson a long-term extension, though.

Barring an agreement with Johnson, the Rams have approximately $45 million to work with under the 2016 salary cap.

The Rams also have six unrestricted free agents: LB Daren Bates, S Cody Davis, QB Case Keenum, RB Benny Cunningham, RB Chase Reynold and OL Brian Folkerts.

The deadline to extend qualifying tenders on their restricted free agents is on Wednesday.

Free agency officially opens on Wednesday, at which time any “agreements” reached during the 48-hour legal tampering period can be announced.

One player the Rams can officially talk to is quarterback Robert Griffin III, who was released on Monday by the Washington Redskins. RG3 is immediately free to talk to visit and sign with any team.

by Neil039
8 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   2664  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

BuiltRamTough wrote:Free agency is one of my favorite times of the year.

Ditto

by Hacksaw
8 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Boy I get the feeling the Rams might be in on Griffin. I'm sure they liked him back then but the team had too many needs so all those picks made more sense. I guess it's possible they were cold on him anyway, so for those who are opposed at paying $16M for a rebuilt player,,there is hope.
It's just so LA Rams to do this type of thing.
I just want the best option which gives us the best chance to win. Not sure who or what that will be but what ever the decision, I'm certain it won't be unanimous among us Rams fans.

by BuiltRamTough
8 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   5357  
Armenia   Los Angeles
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:Boy I get the feeling the Rams might be in on Griffin. I'm sure they liked him back then but the team had too many needs so all those picks made more sense. I guess it's possible they were cold on him anyway, so for those who are opposed at paying $16M for a rebuilt player,,there is hope.
It's just so LA Rams to do this type of thing.
I just want the best option which gives us the best chance to win. Not sure who or what that will be but what ever the decision, I'm certain it won't be unanimous among us Rams fans.

I would be cool with this. RG3 has tremendous upside.

by Hacksaw
8 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Is he twice as good as Foles? That is what we would be paying him?

by Indrid Cold
8 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   863  
United States of America   Redington Beach, FL
Veteran

So the Rams didn't tender their supposed starting QB. Interesting...

by Elvis
8 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   38448  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/p ... ndow-opens

Rams expect to be busy as negotiating window opens

Nick Wagoner

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- As Los Angeles Rams general manager Les Snead is quick to point out, the name for the next two days of NFL business is something of an oxymoron.

"Really, it’s time to find out. Everybody is trying to find out what the realistic value is and that’s why I do think it is a positive that we have that 48-hour period," Snead said. "I don’t know what they call it. Sometimes we call it "legal tampering" but those two words together don’t make sense. But what that allows us to do is the agent can actually talk to other teams and actually finally discuss real figures and they can come back and say this is what we’ve got and you need to say yes or no. Or they may figure out that what we’ve been offering all along is the best deal. I think you are going to see more and more (unrestricted free agents) get into that 48-hour period and figure it out from there."

That 48-hour period is now finally upon us. The NFL's version of jumbo shrimp begins Monday at noon ET, as all 32 teams can finally begin negotiating with unrestricted free agents. In a departure from recent years, the window for those free-for-all negotiations will last two days instead of three and the NFL has relaxed a bit on what can be said and done during that time.

Nonetheless, any agreement that is reached during the two-day period cannot become official until players sign and execute actual contracts with a team. By league rule, that can't happen until Wednesday at 4 p.m. ET.

The Rams would like to re-sign cornerback Janoris Jenkins when the free-agent period officially begins. AP Photo/Billy Hurst
For the Rams, the next week will undoubtedly be busy and go a long way in shaping the direction of the 2016 season. Here's a look at some of the business the Rams have to take care of in the coming days:

-- The Rams have already placed the franchise tag on cornerback Trumaine Johnson, who has accepted the one-year deal at a price of $13.952 million. The Rams can and will continue to negotiate a long-term extension with Johnson but for now, we have to subtract that total from their available cap space entering the new league year. That means the Rams have about $45 million in cap space to work with as they head toward the league year.

-- One piece of business the Rams will also take care of in the next few days that will alter their cap outlook is to extend tender offers to restricted free agents such as quarterback Case Keenum, linebacker Daren Bates, safety Cody Davis and running backs Benny Cunningham and Chase Reynolds. Of that group, only Keenum is likely to get a tender beyond the original draft-position level. Of course, none will count against the cap until or if they sign the tender offer, but the Rams will plan as though those numbers will change.

-- To this point, the Rams have been active in trying to keep many of their own free agents. Players like Johnson, cornerback Janoris Jenkins, safety Rodney McLeod, linebacker/safety Mark Barron and defensive end William Hayes are their top priorities. None of them have agreed to deals yet and why would they? As Snead mentioned, with so much money available on the free-agent market, it behooves players and agents to at least see what the market has to offer before signing off on a deal with the Rams. Because of the negotiating window, the Rams should get quick answers on how their offers compare to what the open market could bring. It should also bring relatively fast decisions on whether they'll be able to get their guys back.

-- As for shopping around for outside free agents, we can't rule out the chances that the Rams willl go out and spend on a big-name free agent though that is more likely if they lose out on a couple of the names mentioned above. The better bet is that the Rams will take a similar approach in free agency as in recent years, spending the bulk of their cap space to keep their own and supplementing with potential bargains at positions like tight end.

-- The biggest X factor here is quarterback, where the Rams have repeatedly made it clear they're open to and looking for competition for Keenum. The Peyton Manning dream is officially gone but Brock Osweiler, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Chase Daniel and Robert Griffin III are expected to be available. Would the Rams be willing to invest the money needed to pry a player like Osweiler away from Denver or another quarterback-needy team like Houston? The time for answers to replace speculation is coming soon.

by moklerman
8 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

There aren't really any QB's out there that the Rams would be wise to spend money and resources on. Fitzpatrick is the closest thing to an established starter and that's the only thing the Rams should pursue. Otherwise, they've already got a few guys that are projects.

• 1 / 6
59 posts Apr 18 2024