15 posts
  • 2 / 2
 by /zn/
1 week 3 days ago
 Total posts:   6784  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

In response to this pick I saw out there, on twitter etc., a number of people say Rams could have gotten a "backup RB" lower in the draft.

Well 2 things about that.

First, Snead has said the Rams need 2 backs. Now I don't know how they will divide the carries, but a 1B back is not really a "backup." KW is great but he got dinged twice in 24, and when he missed 4 games the Rams went 1/3. They need a 1A/1B system across 17 games. In case Corum takes a while to develop as a receiver and pass blocker, that's why they signed Scott. But they need 2 backs..."backup" isn't really the right word.

Second, the hit rate on backs taken after round 3 is miserably low. In fact, you know what? Kyren Williams is the only successful starting-caliber RB the Rams have taken after round 3 in their entire history. Unless you count Zac Stacy or Robert Delpino, which I don't. (Those guys were okay, but not starting-caliber "hits.")

by Rams1PlateSince1976
1 week 2 days ago
 Total posts:   2092  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

Well said z/n. They could each gain 1,000 plus yards in the 2024 campaign.

by snackdaddy
1 week 2 days ago
 Total posts:   9688  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

In today's NFL you need two backs. One primary and one to spell him in order to limit injuries/fatigue. Then two more in case one gets hurt and missed games. Seems like all 4 backs have similar styles. Shorter. Quick hitting styles. McVay has a specific type of back in mind and doesn't want to see too much change in the running style. Kinda helps the line too.

• 2 / 2
15 posts May 12 2024