40 posts
  • 3 / 4
 by Elvis
2 weeks 1 day ago
 Total posts:   38705  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

If you do the math, it's a bad deal for the Rams but who cares? Rams play fast and loose with this stuff a lot and it has mostly worked out for them.

Listening to Snead and McVay, Rams had the idea of pairing Verse and Fiske since probably the combine. It wasn't necesarrily a big priority but something they thought would be good if the draft shook out that way. After they ended up with Verse yesterday, they were pretty determined to make that pairing happen today and that's one of the reasons for the trade and maybe not caring so much about the math. This is something they wanted to make happen.

Rams sure don't mind drafting older rookies. Verse and Fiske will be pushing 30 by the time they get to their 2nd contracts...

by snackdaddy
2 weeks 1 day ago
 Total posts:   9688  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Yeah it's a lot, this year's 2, a 5 and next year's 2...

I wouldn't count this year's 2 since we still had a two. Just 13 spots earlier. Next year's two mighta been a little steep. But if its late 50's or 60's is it that steep?

by snackdaddy
2 weeks 1 day ago
 Total posts:   9688  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

BrooklynRam74 wrote:Great pick, but it appears we grossly overpaid. Tell me why we didnt?

Depends on the player they want. The way things were going its obvious he'd be gone well before pick 52. There were 3 guys considered to be plug and play DT's in the draft. He was one. The other two were gone. If they thought about someone like DeJean it was obvious he wouldn't last to #52.

Next year's number two was steep for sure. But they're back to win now. And maybe set up to be that for the next 3 years. It goes with their strategy of trading for good players. He was BPA and need. As was Verse. I think it will be worth it in the long run.

by BrooklynRam74
2 weeks 23 hours ago
 Total posts:   199  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

snackdaddy wrote:Depends on the player they want. The way things were going its obvious he'd be gone well before pick 52. There were 3 guys considered to be plug and play DT's in the draft. He was one. The other two were gone. If they thought about someone like DeJean it was obvious he wouldn't last to #52.

Next year's number two was steep for sure. But they're back to win now. And maybe set up to be that for the next 3 years. It goes with their strategy of trading for good players. He was BPA and need. As was Verse. I think it will be worth it in the long run.

Totally fine with the trade, despite my initial annoyance at the price.

1. To get Fiske I am over the moon for.
2. We simply gave next year's 2 INSTEAD OF this year's 3 which was either Corum or Kinchens whom I both love. All good, all is well. No 2nd Rounder next year 🤷‍♂️

by majik
2 weeks 23 hours ago
 Total posts:   1209  
United States of America   New Jersey
Pro Bowl

Huge price to pay, but I guess they felt he wouldn’t fall to them and no one else would trade down so they had to get him.

by /zn/
2 weeks 23 hours ago
 Total posts:   6784  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

BrooklynRam74 wrote:No 2nd Rounder next year 🤷‍♂️

Remember once you start trading next year's picks for picks this year, you can do that forever. So who knows, if they want to, in 2025 they can trade 2026 picks for 2025 picks. Then in 2026 they can trade 2027 picks for 2026 picks. And so on.

The pick you trade away is only gone if you consciously decide not to replace it.

If you want to, instead you can be in a position where you never pay the bill because it never really comes in.

by Elvis
2 weeks 22 hours ago
 Total posts:   38705  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

That doesn't work. You have to trade a future 1 to get a current 2. You will very quickly run out of future picks using that method.

Generally speaking it's much smarter to be on the other end of those trades but never say never...

by BrooklynRam74
1 week 6 days ago
 Total posts:   199  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

BrooklynRam74 wrote:Great pick, but it appears we grossly overpaid. Tell me why we didnt?

Just to be clear, would still do the trade.

• 3 / 4
40 posts May 12 2024