30 posts
  • 1 / 3
 by Elvis
2 weeks 2 days ago
 Total posts:   38705  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

According to Ian Rappaport (via Ramswire):

“My understanding is Matthew Stafford, while he has been in the building, does want an adjustment on his contract, does want more guaranteed money past this year,” Rapoport said, as transcribed by Bleacher Report. “He believes he has a lot left. A little bit of a lingering issue this offseason for the Rams.”

by 69RamFan
2 weeks 2 days ago
 Total posts:   3208  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

Elvis wrote:According to Ian Rappaport (via Ramswire):

“My understanding is Matthew Stafford, while he has been in the building, does want an adjustment on his contract, does want more guaranteed money past this year,” Rapoport said, as transcribed by Bleacher Report. “He believes he has a lot left. A little bit of a lingering issue this offseason for the Rams.”

Well lookie, lookie here,

Does that sound like he wants to retire after this year?

I don't think so!!!! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

by BobCarl
2 weeks 2 days ago
 Total posts:   4322  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

69RamFan wrote:Does that sound like he wants to retire after this year?

I think the Rams are wanting to rework Stafford's contract to free up some cap space... and Stafford is replying "more guaranteed" and we'll talk.

by Haden
2 weeks 2 days ago
 Total posts:   2139  
United States of America   Spokane, WA
RFU Survivor Champ

BobCarl wrote:I think the Rams are wanting to rework Stafford's contract to free up some cap space... and Stafford is replying "more guaranteed" and we'll talk.

This is as good of a theory as any.

by Dare
2 weeks 1 day ago
 Total posts:   96  
Practice Squad

I love Stafford but his extensive injury history can't be ignored. I think the Rams originally projected his potential retirement at the end of this year. They are approaching their team building in that manner.

I think there have been talks about extending him through 2025 but since he has no guaranteed "salary" remaining on his contract he wants more. He's already looking at over $50M just for 2025. It's not like none of that is guaranteed already. $37M of that $50M is already guaranteed.

Time to say no. He's an aging athlete who feels indestructible until he's not. This is why I think they tried to move up into the top 10 to grab a QB but couldn't do it. It's why they originally thought they would have Chop to play as edge. That is not to say I'm unhappy with Verse because I'm not. I had him as my top edge for months. Only to say Snead and McVay need to take a long view and understand they can extend Stafford in January if they feel it's warranted. Matt is only one year removed from his 2022 struggles, much of that health related.

Time to roll out plan B for their QB1. Matt needs a big dose of reality. Let's see how he fares this season before they extend him an additional year. The guy has chronic tendonitis and that isn't going away. It will get worse before it gets better.

Rattler and Pratt are still on the board. I think the Rams need to take one of them before they commit to Stafford for that additional year. Both Pratt and Rattler are one to two year project type of QB. Rattler has the stronger arm but Pratt's style of play is a better fit for McVay's offense and would give them a "Purdy like" QB which with a strong defense and run game would still allow the Rams to be legit contenders.

Don't forget Carson Beck could come out early. I like the kid and thus far he's shown a lot of traits that would fit well in the Ram's current offense. He's got prototypical length, and he's a good pocket passer with a pretty good arm. My guess is if he has a good year at GA he will declare. Without the QB craziness of this year, the Rams could probably move up to get him.

My point is that the Rams need to take the long view at QB1. Guys like Pratt and Beck could fill that QB1 position. What Purdy showed is that if you have a complete roster on both sides of the ball, the QB1 only needs to be good, not elite to compete. Both Purdy and Goff have proved that. The Lions lost because of questionable coaching not because of Goff.

by ramsww
2 weeks 1 day ago
 Total posts:   475  
Starter

Dare wrote:I love Stafford but his extensive injury history can't be ignored. I think the Rams originally projected his potential retirement at the end of this year. They are approaching their team building in that manner.

I think there have been talks about extending him through 2025 but since he has no guaranteed "salary" remaining on his contract he wants more. He's already looking at over $50M just for 2025. It's not like none of that is guaranteed already. $37M of that $50M is already guaranteed.

Time to say no. He's an aging athlete who feels indestructible until he's not. This is why I think they tried to move up into the top 10 to grab a QB but couldn't do it. It's why they originally thought they would have Chop to play as edge. That is not to say I'm unhappy with Verse because I'm not. I had him as my top edge for months. Only to say Snead and McVay need to take a long view and understand they can extend Stafford in January if they feel it's warranted. Matt is only one year removed from his 2022 struggles, much of that health related.

Time to roll out plan B for their QB1. Matt needs a big dose of reality. Let's see how he fares this season before they extend him an additional year. The guy has chronic tendonitis and that isn't going away. It will get worse before it gets better.

Rattler and Pratt are still on the board. I think the Rams need to take one of them before they commit to Stafford for that additional year. Both Pratt and Rattler are one to two year project type of QB. Rattler has the stronger arm but Pratt's style of play is a better fit for McVay's offense and would give them a "Purdy like" QB which with a strong defense and run game would still allow the Rams to be legit contenders.

Don't forget Carson Beck could come out early. I like the kid and thus far he's shown a lot of traits that would fit well in the Ram's current offense. He's got prototypical length, and he's a good pocket passer with a pretty good arm. My guess is if he has a good year at GA he will declare. Without the QB craziness of this year, the Rams could probably move up to get him.

My point is that the Rams need to take the long view at QB1. Guys like Pratt and Beck could fill that QB1 position. What Purdy showed is that if you have a complete roster on both sides of the ball, the QB1 only needs to be good, not elite to compete. Both Purdy and Goff have proved that. The Lions lost because of questionable coaching not because of Goff.

I personally feel it’s fine to pay Stafford for as long as he wants to play. Protecting him AND having a solid b/u QB like Jimmy G are the keys. If we can develop Bennett and have a reliable, cost effective b/u QB that IS plan B until the right Franchise guy comes along. I hope it’s years from now.

by actionjack
2 weeks 1 day ago
 Total posts:   4023  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

69RamFan wrote:Well lookie, lookie here,

Does that sound like he wants to retire after this year?

I don't think so!!!! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Def a good sign that it's more like two years min and probably 3 years. That is great news and affords the rams another 1-2 years before they need to address the position.

Pay him whatever you can, he is the franchise

by ramsman34
2 weeks 1 day ago
 Total posts:   8625  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Bob Carl nailed it. Rams want a restructure. Matt wants more guaranteed cash. If the Rams were planning for his retirement after this season, they probably send the farm to move up and draft one. They didn’t. Staff wants another ring. He knows the offense is SB ready. The D isn’t. So they will be competitive in 2024 and have a shot. In 2025 and 2026, if they build it right, they should be top competitor status. Staff wants to keep pace with rising salaries as he should. He’s one of the best.

by PARAM
2 weeks 1 day ago
 Total posts:   12288  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

They should give him the guaranteed money. He should give them a break on the total. He helps the Rams win another Lombardi. They help him get his gold jacket. Mutual desires.

• 1 / 3
30 posts May 12 2024