Total posts:   565  
United States of America   Fort Worth TX
Veteran

GREEDY BASTARD!!!!

Just kidding!

by ramsman34
2 weeks 1 day ago
 Total posts:   8625  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Based on the draft day 2 presser this looks like it is an issue. Also Jourdan said about the AD sitch long before it happened “bears watching”. She knew what was up then and probably knows now. Hope this get worked out for both sides advantageously. Staff happy paid and here for 3 more seasons. The Rams gain cap space and keep their star happy.

by Elvis
2 weeks 1 day ago
 Total posts:   38705  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

The good news is Stafford wants money. That's pretty easy to fix. They just have to give him some money. As far as differences go, this one seems pretty reconcilable

by Elvis
2 weeks 1 day ago
 Total posts:   38705  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I wonder how much of this is related to the Rams asking Stafford if he'd be interested in taking less money last year?

McVay:

“There’s nothing that’s more important than making sure that he feels appreciated and that he knows how much we love him and want him to lead the way, and I think that commitment that I think he wants to have can be reciprocated. And we want to work toward figuring that out.”

by Dare
2 weeks 1 day ago
 Total posts:   96  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

When Stafford signed the current contract the expectation was for him to retire or be released after 2024. Two years were added to spread the cap hit but not built in as void years per se. They were structured as option years.

Reality check my friends. The Rams bit the bullet to get out of cap hell. Now Stafford wants to put them right back in it. The guy is injury prone. Look at 2022 and again last year. Big ass red flags. Stafford acts like nothing is guaranteed. BS right there. Look at his contract. If Matt plays he will be paid over $50M with $37M of that guaranteed and he needs more?

I love Stafford but there comes a point where it's stupid to put money into a guy who has proven he will miss games during the season. Stay the course. If Matt wants to play for a ring in 2025 fine but he can play on his existing contract. I'm sorry but $50M for one year isn't chump change to pay an injury prone player. He's been hurt every damn year. He was hurt in 2021 but he played through it. That said it did affect his play.

He's being paid $49.5M this year. He currently has $86.5 M guaranteed spread over 3 years. Funny it was enough a couple of years ago...but it's not enough now? Kroenke is a businessman and as such he should know a shakedown when he encounters one. We will know Stan's stance if he drafts a QB like Rattler or Pratt in the 5th round which would tell Matt enough is enough. Retire after this season or play on a $50M contract in 2025.

I know I'm in the minority in this opinion but greed is greed no matter who is involved. This team went through cap hell just so Stafford can blackmail them back into it? I'd tell Matt if he wants to play two more years the Rams would more than welcome that. He would earn about $100M over that span. If not he can play through this year and retire with an additional $37M parting gift.

by PARAM
2 weeks 1 day ago
 Total posts:   12289  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Dare wrote:When Stafford signed the current contract the expectation was for him to retire or be released after 2024. Two years were added to spread the cap hit but not built in as void years per se. They were structured as option years.

Reality check my friends. The Rams bit the bullet to get out of cap hell. Now Stafford wants to put them right back in it. The guy is injury prone. Look at 2022 and again last year. Big ass red flags. Stafford acts like nothing is guaranteed. BS right there. Look at his contract. If Matt plays he will be paid over $50M with $37M of that guaranteed and he needs more?

I love Stafford but there comes a point where it's stupid to put money into a guy who has proven he will miss games during the season. Stay the course. If Matt wants to play for a ring in 2025 fine but he can play on his existing contract. I'm sorry but $50M for one year isn't chump change to pay an injury prone player. He's been hurt every damn year. He was hurt in 2021 but he played through it. That said it did affect his play.

He's being paid $49.5M this year. He currently has $86.5 M guaranteed spread over 3 years. Funny it was enough a couple of years ago...but it's not enough now? Kroenke is a businessman and as such he should know a shakedown when he encounters one. We will know Stan's stance if he drafts a QB like Rattler or Pratt in the 5th round which would tell Matt enough is enough. Retire after this season or play on a $50M contract in 2025.

I know I'm in the minority in this opinion but greed is greed no matter who is involved. This team went through cap hell just so Stafford can blackmail them back into it? I'd tell Matt if he wants to play two more years the Rams would more than welcome that. He would earn about $100M over that span. If not he can play through this year and retire with an additional $37M parting gift.

Totally disagree. It's not cap hell to convert salary to guaranteed money. They really don't have to change the total dollar amount. In fact, he ought to give back some total money in exchange for guaranteed money. Injury prone? In the last 13 years he's missed 17 games to injury. He's tough and plays through most dents and dings. Let's see how the next couple of years play out and when it's all said and done, we may have got a deal/steal.

by rams74
2 weeks 1 day ago
 Total posts:   1488  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

PARAM wrote:Totally disagree. It's not cap hell to convert salary to guaranteed money. They really don't have to change the total dollar amount. In fact, he ought to give back some total money in exchange for guaranteed money. Injury prone? In the last 13 years he's missed 17 games to injury. He's tough and plays through most dents and dings. Let's see how the next couple of years play out and when it's all said and done, we may have got a deal/steal.

Totally agree with your disagree. The reports say he wants more guaranteed. So leave the total dollar amount per year where it is, extend it, and guarantee all of it.

If there's more to this story than has been reported, we don't know about it. So to assume that he's demanding more money is pure speculation.

by majik
2 weeks 1 day ago
 Total posts:   1209  
United States of America   New Jersey
Pro Bowl

He is technically demanding more money since in the NFL “contract” years aren’t guaranteed, so from the limited reports, he is asking for that the Rams honor what he is scheduled to be paid.

My question is why this wasn’t done in early March so they had more money in free agency. If Stafford wants to be a Ram in 2025 and 2026 then I’m all for at the actual salary is he scheduled to be paid, although his cap hit is near $50M his actual salary for those years is in the mid-20’s since he got a crap-ton of signing and roster bonuses already.

by BobCarl
2 weeks 5 hours ago
 Total posts:   4322  
Superstar

Elvis wrote:I wonder how much of this is related to the Rams asking Stafford if he'd be interested in taking less money last year?
Yes, I agree that this is a factor.

My biggest concern is when Stafford decides to walk away from the game, will the Rams still have to pay him some of that guaranteed money?

After Whitworth retired, the Rams still had to pay him money.

If a player is cut before his contract is over, I makes sense that the team still responsible for the guaranteed money and cap hits, but if the player walks away, then I don't think that he deserves the unpaid money.

by BobCarl
2 weeks 5 hours ago
 Total posts:   4322  
Superstar

rams74 wrote:If there's more to this story than has been reported....
thanks for reminding us, I sometimes forget that.

Stafford knows that he is still one of the best QB's in the NFL and deserves to be compensated like the other elite QB's are.

Also, The salary cap amount got a huge bump, and players/agents want a piece of that.

• 2 / 3
30 posts May 12 2024