58 posts
  • 3 / 6
 by 69RamFan
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   3208  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

ramsman34 wrote:Ooooh. A kick right to my nuts. Bro. They tried to trade up supposedly for Bowers. So the intent was there. QB was NEVER an option. Yes, that’s a shot at Dare. Haha

Nice call. Broken clock and all. Hahaha. Hey. Not bummed but we need WR help. Round 3 will work.

I think they go DT in Rd 2 if a top guy is available. J Newton would work for me.

I never believed that the Rams were going to trade up to draft a TE,
Because they have Allen, and they just signed Parkinson from Seattle,
in which he has the same traits as Higbee.
Then Higbee could be back by midseason.

But you never know.

Actually, I thought it was just some good smoke screen,
to get other teams to move up to draft.
I was listening to LAespn, ex vet Kirk Morrison. saying the same thing,
smoke screen.

As far as the rest of the picks,
The next three picks in the top 100,
If they dont trade them away,
will most likely be rotational players.
Then after that,
backup roles & ST
So, take the Best Available Player on the board.

by Lancer
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   179  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

Elvis wrote:

This is great mentoring advice, and quite truthful if one says, “Aaron Donald,” after each instance of “you” in it, I feel. :grin:

by max
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   5587  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

They must love him since they didn’t trade down. Snead can’t help trading down if he has even the slightest reason to do so.

I hated the idea of drafting a TE with our first pick. I’ve seen too many high pick TEs become regret picks. The list is long.

by /zn/
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   6784  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

from https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... e01ed4c82b

19. Los Angeles Rams: Jared Verse, EDGE, Florida State

Grade: A

The Rams needed to find a way to upgrade their pass rush in the wake of Aaron Donald’s retirement and with Murphy off the board, they had to go outside linebacker for Chris Shula’s defense, getting a nice complement to their second-year rising star, Byron Young. Verse should remain productive right away in their scheme.
from https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/n ... d-analysis

19. Los Angeles Rams: Jared Verse, Edge, Florida State

Rang: While Aaron Donald's retirement certainly created a massive hole in the middle of the Rams' defense, there isn't a player in this draft (or many others) as gifted as the future Hall of Famer. Adding juice to the Rams' pass rush on the outside makes perfect sense, especially when they play the run as passionately and effectively as Verse. Powerful and intense, Verse brings talent and leadership to a defense looking for some stars to step up.
from https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2024/04/25/nfl-draft-grades-first-round-picks-2024/73459949007/</p&gt;

19. Los Angeles Rams: Jared Verse, DE, Florida State - Grade: B+

Things sure fell into place nicely for Los Angeles as it looks to reconfigure its pass rush after Aaron Donald's retirement. Verse isn't the most pliable threat off the edge, but he ticks almost every other box for a player who will create consistent havoc for opposing quarterbacks. With Verse, Kobie Turner and Byron Young, the Rams have several long-term building blocks one year after it looked like the defense was devoid of any outside of Donald.
from https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl ... ound-picks

R1 (19) LOS ANGELES RAMS: ED JARED VERSE, FLORIDA STATE

Pick Grade: Very Good

The Rams desperately needed edge help, and they select arguably the best power rusher in the class. Verse burst onto the scene over the past two years at Florida State, ranking second among Power Five edge rushers in pass-rush win rate. The Rams use their highest selection since 2016 to reset their pass rush after Aaron Donald‘s retirement.

from https://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades_1.php

Los Angeles Rams: Jared Verse, DE, Florida State – B- Grade
It has to be disappointing for the Rams that they couldn’t get Byron Murphy. It makes sense though that they would target a front-seven player because their offense is so explosive. I’m not crazy about this pick because Jared Verse isn’t close to the other two edge rushers who were chosen earlier, yet he’s being taken so close to them. I don’t hate this pick – Verse likely belonged in the 20s – but it’s a bit underwhelming for a team that hadn’t drafted in the first round since 2016.

from https://theathletic.com/5436808/2024/04 ... 4-round-1/

19. Los Angeles Rams: Jared Verse, Edge, Florida State

The Rams lost Aaron Donald, one of the greatest defensive linemen in NFL history, and needed to find some way to replace him. Verse likely won’t equal what Donald brought (nor would anyone else), but he was a nice choice for a team that hadn’t made a first-round pick since 2016. Chop Robinson might be more explosive with a higher upside, but Verse was more productive in college.

A workmanlike technician with a motor, Verse (6-4, 254) became an All-American after beginning his career at Albany as a no-star recruit. He played three seasons in the FCS (including one as a redshirt), then transferred to Florida State and posted back-to-back nine-sack seasons. Although he may not wow observers physically, Verse boasts one of this class’ top work ethics, which will serve him well in the NFL.

Grade: B

from https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... rthy-pick/

19. Rams: Jared Verse, EDGE, Florida State
Grade: B+

The Rams patiently wait and end up with one of the best pass rushers in this draft. This fills a major need and will help compensate for the loss of Aaron Donald on the inside.

from https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/04/25/2024- ... ick-grades

19. Los Angeles Rams | Jared Verse, Edge, Florida State
Rookie contract: Four years, $14.9 million

After three years with the Albany Great Danes, Verse transferred to the Seminoles and was excellent in Tallahassee. Over two seasons with Florida State, he posted nine sacks in each campaign while totaling 29.5 tackles for loss.

At 6'4" and 254 pounds, Verse has ideal size for an edge rusher. Look for his athleticism to be a huge part of his game early before adding moves to his pass-rushing arsenal.

Grade: A-

from https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-draft ... l-32-teams

Grade A

Los Angeles Rams
Draft pick

Florida State DE Jared Verse (No. 19 overall)

Analysis: The Rams found great value with their first first-round pick in eight years, grabbing a much-needed edge rusher in Verse who could have gone in the top dozen selections. He might not be as dynamic or bendy off the edge as some of the other pass rushers in this class, and he did see a drop in production from 2022 (17.5 tackles for loss with nine sacks) to 2023 (12 tackles for loss with nine sacks), but the transfer from Albany to Florida State looked plenty agile last season and has the power and relentlessness to accumulate sacks on primary and secondary moves. His strength in the run game should not be overlooked, either.

by BrooklynRam74
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   199  
Rookie

Great pick to add to our young Defensive Line that will GROW together. Ram Defense will be better in 24 without AD than they were in 23 with him, IMO. That is NOT a shot at AD. Major upgrades to the Secondary along with what I feel will be upgrade at DC is the reason for this.

Also not ruling out AD returning in December to make this a "Fearsome Foursome" like Front Four.

Verse is a great pick because he's not a "sack hog," all or nothing selfish player. Plays the run real well.

by actionjack
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   4025  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

Love love Verse, he does have a bit of Khalil Mack in him, maybe a slightly less version of Will Anderson who was picked at #5 last year.

Very powerfull rusher who will cause problems and great against the run.

I said EDGE and we got it, I did weaken a bit with all the rumors, but we got the dude.

Bowers would have been fun, but I think sometimes the moves you dont make are the best ones.

Now I wouldnt hate a move up in the second round to get one of those corners, still very good quality there or a DT.

by BrooklynRam74
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   199  
Rookie

Check THIS out. And read comments.

And this was WELL BEFORE the Draft.

by Elvis
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   38705  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Here's some Jourdan on what went down:

https://theathletic.com/5447864/2024/04 ... raft-pick/

Verse met privately with the Rams this week (he did not have any formal meetings or workouts with the team, which Snead said was intentional to keep their interest under the radar). Team sources said he was one of their top overall prospects. On Thursday, the Rams called multiple teams to gather intel on what the prices would be to trade up or down, including a conversation with a team in the top 10 that could have led to selecting an offensive player.

Team and league sources believed those costs to be too high, especially with multiple other teams trying to trade into that group and therefore driving up the cost. The Rams did not get on the phones as the last few picks of the top 10 unfolded, a source said.

by actionjack
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   4025  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

69RamFan wrote:I never believed that the Rams were going to trade up to draft a TE,
Because they have Allen, and they just signed Parkinson from Seattle,
in which he has the same traits as Higbee.
Then Higbee could be back by midseason.

But you never know.

Actually, I thought it was just some good smoke screen,
to get other teams to move up to draft.
I was listening to LAespn, ex vet Kirk Morrison. saying the same thing,
smoke screen.

As far as the rest of the picks,
The next three picks in the top 100,
If they dont trade them away,
will most likely be rotational players.
Then after that,
backup roles & ST
So, take the Best Available Player on the board.

The Rams are drafting at min starters in round 2 & 3. Round 5 and beyond is crapshoot but the Rams have obviously mine gold there too. The Rams secret sauce is getting intelligent, hard working dudes who they have a plan for. I expect a lot of starters from this staff, maybe not all year one but eventually (sooner than later).

• 3 / 6
58 posts May 13 2024