484 posts
  • 16 / 49
 by Lancer
1 month 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   179  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

ramsman34 wrote:I think this will be a very heavy defensive draft with OL, RB, WR sprinkled in.

Signed,

Capt. Obvious

Aaron Donald retiring is ofc, irreplaceable. Still feels like we're positioned well this draft to cushion that as much as we can.

The blow would've more difficult to navigate if he announced or left at this same time in 2021 or 2022.

by AltiTude Ram
1 month 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   2183  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

Payroll error in 2022 costs 49ers '25 pick, dip in 4th in '24

https://www.espn.com/

by BrooklynRam74
1 month 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   199  
Rookie

Gotta have Byron Murphy at 19 now after this....

by PARAM
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12289  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

BrooklynRam74 wrote:Gotta have Byron Murphy at 19 now after this....

We have to deal with losing 1558 DL snaps (Donald 867, Williams 598, Brown IV 82 and Copeland 11), while keeping 1408 on the roster (Turner 697, BBrown 313, Murchison 252, Johnson 102 and Durden 44). There will be a D lineman's name(s) called in the draft.

by BobCarl
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4322  
Superstar

AD can't be replaced.
"why try?" .... should we try anyway? ...

do we draft in a panic?
do we draft because of "need" of a day one starter?
do we get the best available free agent?
is there someone already on our team that can play that position?
what about a stop-gap?

what type of pressure will be on the guy that steps into AD's shoes?

by 69RamFan
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   3208  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

After reviewing the tapes:

I would be happy with any of these players for the RAM's first pick.

Edge: Dallas Turner, Jared Verse,

Laiatu Latu, (I really like this kid, but his neck concerns me, but I still would take a chance on him)

after a trade down: Chop Robinson

CB: Quinyon Mitchell, Terrion Arnold,

after a trade down: Cooper DeJean, Kool-Aid McKinstry

DT: after a trade down: Byron Murphy II, Jer’Zhan Newton

by Lancer
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   179  
Rookie

BobCarl wrote:"why try?" .... should we try anyway? ...

do we draft in a panic?
what about a stop-gap?

1) Apart from panic that could develop bc of a run on particular players, no, I don’t feel so; our position is good compared to 2021-22 where there was unspoken pressure to make every pick a winner based on what kinds of players were featured in the draft those years in combination with where the team was slotted to pick.

2) AD retirement increases this concern some as a fan, but I feel like if the draft generally follows the 2-3 different runs on particular positions in Rounds 1-3, we can absorb this as best as able.

On paper at the moment, there’s less urgency on the team’s side to make an immediate, impactful trade.

3) I’d be surprised if there was a FA signing, based on cushioning Donald’s departure at this point.

4-5) I think the plan is to have a combination of who is here already + a draft pick. We’ll see!

6) If plan follows previous answer, what pressure there would be would be lessened e.g. player here who already understands that role + a draft pick who will have some opportunity to develop w/o being expected “to do everything” immediately.

Don't forget the team has a new DC as well, they may want to shift how that front operates slightly based on who the Rams land!

by PARAM
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12289  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

BobCarl wrote:"why try?" .... should we try anyway? ...

do we draft in a panic?
what about a stop-gap?

Panic? Need? Panic would be drafting a DT from East Jabumbfook St. in the first four picks. Need would be drafting a DT anywhere.

Last year, we made 3 picks in the first 89 selections. All 3 started. In 2022 we didn't make a pick until #104. We've got 4 before 100 this year. In 2021, we didn't make a pick until #57 or our 2nd pick until #103. We've got 2 before #57 and 4 before #103. I'm feeling good they will get contributors and starters with those.

If they take a DT with any of the first four selections, it fills a need. What's ironic is fans have been saying Edge, Edge, Edge!!!! but there's no worry they might reach or panic looking for an Edge? Suddenly AD retires and we should worry about reach or panic?

I think these guys are as good as any front office and it's simply a matter of actually having those top 100 selections. We know they can find talent from the 4th on. So I can't wait to see what they do.

As far as pressure to fill AD's shoes, any level headed kid knows it's a fool's errand to try. And any coach worth their salt is going to ensure the kid knows that. No pressure at all. Just fill a quality NFL DT's shoes. That's pressure enough.

• 16 / 49
484 posts May 12 2024