20 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by AvengerRam
2 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

So... now that we're through most of the talent movement/acquisition phase of the offseason, which teams are most likely to break into, and fall out of, the playoffs in 2022.

Here are my lists:

Most Likely Party Crashers

1. Indianapolis Colts
The Colts just missed the playoffs last year, and responded by replacing Carson Wentz with Matt Ryan. I also like the additions of Yannick Ngakoue, Stephon Gilmore and Nick Cross to an already strong defense. I could easily see them jumping over the Titans and winning the AFC South.

2. Los Angeles Chargers
Another team that was on the cusp last year, and made splash moves by trading for Khalil Mack and signing J.C. Jackson. I'm not sure they've solved their run defense problem but, more importantly, their division is a beast. Still, I think that they have a strong chance of making it to the postseason in 2022.

3. Baltimore Ravens
The Ravens imploded last year when Lamar Jackson was injured. They need to keep him healthy this year. As for their other injury bug issues... a strong draft provides them with great depth, and a couple of immediate impact starters in Kyle Hamilton and Tyler Linderbaum.

4. Cleveland Browns
This one comes down to the status of newly acquired QB Deshaun Watson. If (1) the Browns can win without him if he is suspended for several games, and (2) he regains his form from two years ago, the Browns have a ton of talent and should be a playoff contender. I still see some disfunction in this organization, though, so I wouldn't be my house on them.

5. New Orleans Saints
I considered going with the Broncos here, but how many AFC teams can crash the party? The NFL seems a bit more static at this point, with most of the teams that made the postseason positioned to return. The Saints, though, could be the team that breaks through, as they have a very strong defense, and could have a great receiving corps with the return of Michael Thomas and the addition of Chris Olave. Its going to come down to the QB play, which is definitely a concern, and will likely be their ultimate downfall.

Most Likely to Fall From Grace

1. Pittsburgh Steelers
The Steelers were lucky to make it last year, and now will be starting either Mitch Trubisky or rookie Kenny Pickett at QB. The Ravens' and Browns' rise will be the Steelers' fall in the NFC North.

2. New England Patriots
Another playoff team from last year that really didn't impress me that much. They will face much tougher competition within their own division. The Bills are stacked, and the Jets and Dolphins (who are not "party crashers" because I don't trust their QBs) are much improved. It would not shock me if the Patriots struggle to win 8-9 games in 2022.

3. Las Vegas Raiders
The Raiders improved their roster this offseason, adding Davante Adams and Chandler Jones, and could nonetheless drop out of the playoff picture. A big reason is that the rest of their division also improved significantly. I'm guessing some will disagree with me here, but I see the Raiders as a likely "odd man out."

4. Philadelphia Eagles
As I have one NFC party crasher, I feel like I should identify the team they're likely to replace. I consider Arizona, a team that really fell off the rails late last year, but the Eagles are my choice. I just don't trust their QB play, and they're not exceptional in any phase of the game.

5. Tennessee Titans
This one may be a reach, but I feel like there very well could be a 10 win team in the AFC that will miss the dance. The Titans could be that team, as they have the least reliable QB among the playoff contenders, and will face tougher competition from the Colts within their own division.

by PARAM
2 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   12289  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

I'm evil. I want to see Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay go down. Minnesota is the likely candidate to displace them but I wouldn't sleep on Detroit. They had a shitty year at 3-13-1 but they lost 5 games by 4 or less.....(3 by 2, 1 by 3 and 1 by 4).

I like what they did in the draft and how they played the second half of last year. Hutchinson, Jameson Williams and Josh Paschal. They have a very good OL, or should have in 2022. They have 2 good running backs in Swift and Williams. And they've improved their defense.

If Goff can manage to throw the ball more than 10 yards downfield......

I would LOVE to see Green Bay finish third.

by majik
2 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   1209  
United States of America   New Jersey
Pro Bowl

Goff has proven he can throw the ball downfield when his OL gives him the time. This year is it for Goff, the Lions passed on a QB this year because of the quality of this year’s class, next year’s class is viewed as much better by the draftnicks.

by CanuckRightWinger
2 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Brad Holmes talked the Ford widow into picking up Jared WayWayOverpaid Goff's salary. Goff stunk it up in his first year in Motown, getting the Lions and Detroit fans their first win in D-E-C-E-M-B-E-R!!! :shock2: :arrow2: :oops2:

Now the Lions have to write cheques for Mr. Goff's second year in Detroit. :cry2:

ME: Damn right they are going to plug-in Mr. Goff under center for 2022, sportsfans!! :idea2: :arrow2: :!2:
IE. If we gots to pay the man....then the man is gonna have to earn his money!! :!2: :arrow2: :x

So I agree with majik, in that the meagre 2022 Draft QB Class did help keep Goff as the Lions starting 2022 QB.....but it is also hard to justify a $26 million backup QB sitting on the bench, eh!! :idea2:

Oh, and whilst we have had our disagreements in the past,
um, regarding PA's claim of "I'm evil"......

no argument from me on that one!!! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
(sorry, but it's hard to walk by low-hanging fruit like that one, eh!! ;) :arrow2: :lol2:)

by snackdaddy
2 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   9688  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I'm surprised you didn't list the Broncos as one of the party crashers. Everyone seems to think they are legit now with Russell Wilson. If it wasn't an oversight I might tend to agree with you. Watching Wilson the past couple years he doesn't seem to be the same. I know for a mobile quarterback he's been remarkably durable. Last year's injury was a fluke thing. But I wonder if the years of taking a beating from all that running and a weak line hasn't taken a toll on him. He just seems a little tentative these days. In 14 games his rushing attempts and yards were well under what they've been throughout his career.

I do like the Colts chances. I think they shoulda been a playoff team last year but they choked at the end. Matt Ryan will be the difference this time. I don't know why the Chargers don't win more than they do. They have a talented quarterback. I'm not convinced Kalil Mack will be the difference. I'm not sold on the Saints. No Brees or Payton. I think 8 or 9 wins is their ceiling.

I like the Raiders chances of finishing second in that tough division. Carr is good enough and he has legit weapons. They have two good pass rushers. Gruden and Mayock are out. I expect their offense to be pretty good with Josh McDaniel. I don't see them as a legit Superbowl caliber team but I see them as a solid mid seed playoff team.

Baltimore's fortunes are tied to Lamar Jackson. A running quarterback with an injury history. If he's healthy they're a playoff team. That is a big if. Cleveland is immediately a contender with Watson. I agree the Steelers are not going anywhere. Its gonna have to be one of those 8 or 9 wins gets you in for the Eagles to make it.

I'm on the fence with the Patriots. They aren't as talented by they are well coached and Mac Jones has a year experience under his belt. Wouldn't surprise me if they matched last year's success. Or limited success. But that is as good as gets for them.

The Titans might slip some this year. But a healthy Derrick Henry should keep them in playoff contention. Losing AJ Brown will hurt their offense. I don't see them anywhere near the number one seed again. Might not win the division.

by 99Balloons
2 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   26  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Undrafted Free Agent

I see the Ravens in the AFC North missing the playoffs next year. The Steelers never missed the playoffs. The Ravens are one injury away from Lamar Jackson getting hit over and over to be on the injury list again.

by AvengerRam
2 years 1 week ago
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:I'm surprised you didn't list the Broncos as one of the party crashers. Everyone seems to think they are legit now with Russell Wilson. If it wasn't an oversight I might tend to agree with you. Watching Wilson the past couple years he doesn't seem to be the same. I know for a mobile quarterback he's been remarkably durable. Last year's injury was a fluke thing. But I wonder if the years of taking a beating from all that running and a weak line hasn't taken a toll on him. He just seems a little tentative these days. In 14 games his rushing attempts and yards were well under what they've been throughout his career.

Not an oversight. I'm not jumping on the Broncos bandwagon, and Wilson's decline is a big reason.

by AvengerRam
2 years 1 week ago
Hall of Fame

Brock Purdy called. He'd like to hand over the title of "Mr. Irrelevant" to everyone on this thread who is talking about Jared Goff.

by CanuckRightWinger
2 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Maybe majik and PA want to pay heed to the latest instruction from the Hallway Monitor from Florida on "How To Be A Proper Rams Fan"...
....well, NOT ME!

Having followed The Horns from 1967, flying around North America these past decades, including our two Wilderness Decades, to attend live Rams games, including SBXIV in Pasadena........hell, even to that pregnant Hockey Arena called the Eddy Dome, down in Smolensk-On-The-Mississippi :roll2: .....I submit my SKIN-IN-THE-GAME DEFENSE against these attempted scoldings from AR, who apparently is the self-appointed RFU Poster-Approver. :idea2: :arrow2: :x

My legal argument, is that, I have more historical Skin-In-The-Game than the Plaintive. Hence he is unqualified....lacks the gravitas actually, to criticize my Ram fandom. Fact is....if a Pro-Goff Rams fan wants to point out Goff's many Ram records/accomplishments to counter my critique of Goff, no problem. We're here to discuss and debate after all. :idea2:

TO ME, FYI: The only "record" Jared Goff holds is "Most cumulative real estate holdings wholly-owned by a 26 year old!! :x
Oh yeah...and SB-starting QB with Fewest Points scored in an entire game in SB History (3, tie w/1971 Fin Griese). :oops2:

But that's not what going on here as there is no mention of Goff's record by AR, merely the personal lowness/crassness of Goff-dissers....IE. Avenger is criticizing us posters. Dissing us as "irrelevant" because we had the audacity for, are you ready?....
"talking about Jared Goff."

Question: Who died and put this Florida guy in charge of......
"....talking..."??? :? :arrow2: :roll2:

I guess PA, majik, and I broke one of AR's RFU Commandments....but which ONE??? :?2:
THOU SHALL NOT DISS THE GOFF.
THOU SHALT NOT TAKE THE NAME OF THE GOFF IN VAIN.
HONOR THY MOTHER, THY FATHER, AND DETROIT LION JARED GOFF.
THOU SHALL NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS IN FRONT OF THY FORMER JETTISONED QB GOFF. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

In closing....despite whatever minor irritations afflict us....
IT'S STILL GREAT TO BE A RAMS FAN IN 2022, EH!! ;) :arrow2: 8-)

• 1 / 2
20 posts May 12 2024