• 1 / 2
 by Elvis
8 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   38377  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

http://historylosangeles.blogspot.com/2 ... -1953.html

Rams Band, 1953

This is for everyone who remembers the Los Angeles Rams, our previous football team. Their games were played at the Coliseum.

The Rams were not LA's first football team--we had the Hollywood Bears and the LA Bulldogs before them. The Rams were here from 1946 to 1980, when they moved to Anaheim--close enough, though not LA. In 1994, they rode away from the sunset, east to St.Louis.

They had an official band while in LA (long before the Embraceable Ewes) and thanks to Joe Hill, I have a picture of the band at a concert given in 1953, at the Veterans Memorial Auditorium in Culver City (the place with the giant film strip in the fountain).

Johnny Boudreau was the Band Director, and they worked all home games from 1946 to 1980. They played before the game and at half time.

Joe is in the top row, far left. No idea who the little majorette and cohort are at bottom right, nor do I know if there's a story behind these piebald uniforms. Maybe Joe will comment--what colors were they, and why the two-tone design?

RamsBand.jpg

by Elvis
8 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   38377  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

So here's the best part: The guy sitting in the front row on the very right holding a clarinet, that's my Uncle.

Dig those crazy outfits, i'm sure he must have loved dressing up for that gig, you can see it on his face...

by Hacksaw
8 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Elvis wrote:So here's the best part: The guy sitting in the front row on the very right holding a clarinet, that's my Uncle.

Dig those crazy outfits, i'm sure he must have loved dressing up for that gig, you can see it on his face...

Those outfits kind of remind me of what the Mayor of Carson was rocking when the Charaider thing was announced. :lol:

by Hacksaw
8 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Uncle has that kingly black hair ..

by rams74
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1460  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:Can't say this song sounds the least bit familiar to me but...

It's very familiar to me. But only because I've watched "Heaven Can Wait" hundreds of times...

by Claremontram
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   226  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

Nice stuff, thanks for sharing.

• 1 / 2
15 posts Mar 28 2024