Total posts:   38458  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-ra ... on-himself

Rams coach Sean McVay quick to put the blame on himself

4:00 AM PT
Alden Gonzalez
ESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- The theme of Sean McVay's postgame availability on Sunday was guilt. The Los Angeles Rams' rookie head coach spent the moments following a 27-20 loss to the Washington Redskins blaming himself, for everything from Todd Gurley's early struggles to Jared Goff's late interception to the offensive inconsistencies as a whole.

The following phrases filled the transcript from McVay's press conference:

"It starts with me."

"I know that we'll look at ourselves critically in the mirror, coaches included, starting with me."

"I've got to do a better job."

"I probably could have given us a better play."

"I've got to do a better job for our team as a whole."

As he was preparing to become the youngest head coach in modern NFL history, McVay sought guidance. And one of the core pieces of advice came from Jon and Jay Gruden, who told him to take responsibility when needed. The Rams entered the season with the NFL's second-youngest roster, but their head coach is exceedingly young too. They're all growing together.

"We always talk about coachability," McVay, 31, said Monday. "Certainly if I’m not being coachable or being critical of myself when I’m not doing the things that I need to do to try to be helpful in trying to achieve wins, and putting players in good spots, then that’s something that you have to be aware of. You can’t be afraid to admit that."

McVay pointing the finger at himself wasn't an act; he legitimately believes he let the offense down.

McVay never felt he "allowed our players to get into a rhythm." The Redskins' highly effective running game chewed up so much clock that the Rams' offense ran only nine plays in the first quarter. On their next play from scrimmage, Gurley fumbled. And when they got the ball again, they trailed 13-0 with just more than 12 minutes left before halftime.

"So you've got 10 plays," McVay said. "And I thought then that I let those circumstances affect the way that you go about your normal rhythm, as opposed to just staying one play at a time, like you talk about, to try to keep your run-pass balance, knowing that you still have a whole game to get back in it."

In other words, McVay panicked.

Gurley ultimately was effective on the ground, picking up 88 yards on 16 carries and running for a touchdown (he had a touchdown catch too). But the Rams were too reliant on their passing game. They threw the ball on seven of their first nine plays, and when the fourth quarter began, Gurley had only nine carries. The Rams went into their Week 2 game hoping to establish the run early, but McVay scrapped those plans when they fell behind.

After it was over, McVay lamented his own "uncharacteristic decisions" and "indecisiveness."

"We always talk about letting our approach and our preparation lead to good performance, and the process over results always," McVay said. "I thought, regardless of the way that some things played out, when you go into a game, you always envision kind of how you want to try to put your players in good spots. I didn’t necessarily follow through with that plan, based on the way things played out. I think there are times when you have to do that, but I thought there was a handful of situations where I didn’t need to do that, and I did. And it made it tougher on our players than it should’ve been."

by Hacksaw
6 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Panicked? Perhaps , perhaps not, ,, but was he in charge of the defense?

by dieterbrock
6 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Who woulda thought that the youngest HC in NFL history would have a big learning curve to navigate???

by Elvis
6 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   38458  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Reminds me a little of when they'd ask Martz about an interception and he'd say, "that was my fault."

In the end it really doesn't matter what they say. It's all viewed through the lens of wins and losses...

by Hacksaw
6 years 6 months ago

I'm glad he's accountable but don't get carried away. It was his first pro loss as the man in charge so he's probably taking it a bit harder. Let's see what kind of fire this lights.

He also shouldn't forget that we suffered some pretty bad calls that came at critical junctures. Like Woods PI and subsequent PF.
Or that debauchery pretending to be officiating at the 25,, err, 12,, err 2 yard line.

At least Goff got one in on the line judge when he de-cap-itated the dude with a bullet throw away. lol
1.JPG

http://www.foxsports.com/west/video/1048621123579

by 69superbowl
6 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   477  
Malaysia   San Jose
Starter

Sounds great. The next step is to get smarter, get angrier (this is the NFL after all) and run up the fucking score on the whiners. No hostages. Destroy them on national tv. It's the least McVay can do. Hey, this is my NFL Championship game every year...

by Hacksaw
6 years 6 months ago

Agreed 1000% SB.

McVay need to get together with sonofbum as well. Watching the film, this happened all day.

allday.JPG

by TomSlick
6 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   2908  
Italy   Many of us know the feeling of the universe conspiring to bring car and driver together.
Superstar

69superbowl wrote:Sounds great. The next step is to get smarter, get angrier (this is the NFL after all) and run up the fucking score on the whiners. No hostages. Destroy them on national tv. It's the least McVay can do. Hey, this is my NFL Championship game every year...

AMEN, brother. Sing it from the rafters.

We Bay Area people have a lot of our sanity riding on these RAM/Niner games.

by dieterbrock
6 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:In the end it really doesn't matter what they say. It's all viewed through the lens of wins and losses...

True, but its a refreshing change from Fisher with his, (and I paraphrase) "I dont care what the score says, the offense is playing great" stuff

by Zero
6 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   84  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

dieterbrock wrote:True, but its a refreshing change from Fisher with his, (and I paraphrase) "I dont care what the score says, the offense is playing great" stuff

Don't remember fisher taking responsibility for anything.

• 1 / 2
11 posts Apr 19 2024