16 posts
  • 2 / 2
 by Hacksaw
6 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Barkley has the worst swing ever imagined. He should beat him..
Surprised (the other) Fish isn't better.

by aeneas1
6 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Elmgrovegnome wrote:I never understood the golfing craze that came and left with Tiger Woods. During Tiger's run two new courses we're created in our area and the two that existed were getting upgraded every few years. Business was booming and that was always a prominent topic of conversation when I hung out with my friends at bars and parties. Now? All but one course has shut down. The old one is now being farmed and the main building is a restaurant. The two new ones are run down, unkempt properties. I never hear anyone talking about golf at the bars anymor

went to the us open in the late 90s, at the olympic club in sf, woods was just 22 at the time and coming off his first masters win, woods mania was sky-high, the galleries following him around were absolutely crazy, the strangest thing was watching jack nicklaus, only a handful of folks followed him, he was a forgotten man, the guard had long since changed... the other weird thing about the tourney was stewart's bizarre death shortly after, we followed him around much of the day as he was within reach of the win, seemed like a really great guy, was so hard to imagine the same guy in an un-piloted plane headed for doom 16 months later...

anyhoo, yeah, it's been kinda entertaining watching the golf biz take a nose dive, very similar to tennis imo, man tennis was the total rage in the late '70s then, boom, nose dive city... personally, i was a golf addict for about 15-20 years, absolutely loved it, hard not to become a golfer living in hawaii, thought i would golf until i died, imagined i would golf with my son well into my golden years, then i just stopped, not sure why, haven't picked up a club in many, many years and, oddly, have never missed it one bit.

by snackdaddy
6 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   9630  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:
anyhoo, yeah, it's been kinda entertaining watching the golf biz take a nose dive, very similar to tennis imo, man tennis was the total rage in the late '70s then, boom, nose dive city...

I used to watch tennis all the time in the 80's. I enjoyed watching some of the tennis greats like Evert, Sampras, Agassi, etc. Then I just lost interest over the years. Got married and had other weekend interests.

I enjoy golf now because because I'm picking it up again after a couple decades of no golf. Most my weekends were spent traveling for fast pitch softball tournaments. I don't play softball anymore so golf is now my hobby. Although I was much better at softball than I am golf. A 75 MPH rise ball from 46 feet was easier to hit than that little ball sitting on a tee. :?

by aeneas1
6 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:I used to watch tennis all the time in the 80's. I enjoyed watching some of the tennis greats like Evert, Sampras, Agassi, etc. Then I just lost interest over the years. Got married and had other weekend interests.

I enjoy golf now because because I'm picking it up again after a couple decades of no golf. Most my weekends were spent traveling for fast pitch softball tournaments. I don't play softball anymore so golf is now my hobby. Although I was much better at softball than I am golf. A 75 MPH rise ball from 46 feet was easier to hit than that little ball sitting on a tee. :?

after 15 years of working in the biz i majored in, hotel/resort management, i took a break when we had our first child, called it quits and opened up a cafe, transferred from property to property every 3 years was fun when i was single, not so much after i was married, so it was time for a lifestyle change, but a 2-3 year planned hiatus has turned into 20+ years, ha ha, life, funny how it works out...

anyway when i started my biz i joined the local softball league to get to know my community and drum up biz, happy hours, discounts, sponsorship, etc...., i played baseball growing up, was good, and thought a silly softball league would be easy and fun... doh, what a world i stumbled into, these guys were flat-out crazy, nothing fun about it for them, it was serious business, 40-year-old guys head diving into home plate, taking out catchers, pedal to the metal stuff, weekend tournaments in reno/vegas every other week, most played in at least two leagues, teams bringing in ringers, mama mia, my fantasy of beer coolers, laughs, who cares what the score is , let's just have a good time and get a little exercise in was shot to hell after game one, ha ha....

tennis? my old man was crazy about it, used to drag me out of bed on weekends when i was in high school to play with him, nothing like being on a tennis court at 7am on a saturday with a hangover, in 100% humidity, i eventually fell for a girl on the high school tennis team, so i started playing a lot, my old man thought he had died and gone to heaven... it was when graphite and oversized rackets started making the scene, every hack had to have one, the more expensive the racket the more certain your game would improve, ha ha, i remember my old man picking one up in a pro shop, it was $100+, might as well have been $1,000+ in those days, he hung on to his wood rackets forever, then finally joined the rest of the gang...

golf? i could see myself picking it up again down the road, altho my prob was that when i played i had to hit the driving range at least 3 times a week, just couldn't play a round once a week and be happy, so golf for me ended up taking up a whole lot of time, not sure when i'll be ready for that kind of commitment again.... also, as i've gotten older my allergies have gotten much worse, there were times my ass would get completely kicked by allergies after a round of golf, talk about misery... the plus side is i could always play during the week given my biz, never had to fight weekend crowds, a huge plus....

• 2 / 2
16 posts Mar 28 2024