10 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by PARAM
7 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   12247  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Transforming a 4-12 team to a winner can't be easy. Hell turning an 8-8 team into a winner is hard enough. Just ask Marvin Lewis. Or Gary Kubiak. Or Joe Philbin. Or many other NFL head coaches both past and present. But I don't believe we were as bad as that 4-12 indicated. I don't mean "we weren't who our record said we were". We were who our record said.....a team with a good defense (#9) again and a physically limited quarterback (Keenum) followed by a green rookie QB. With Nick Foles in 2017, we were probably that same 7-9 team Fisher rolled out every year. Maybe 8-8 finally.

Having said that, we all know what needs to be improved and McVay definately knows more than we do. But he and his staff have gone about attempting to improve the team before we ever stepped onto the practice field. And they'll attempt to improve it even more in the draft.

We know the offensive line needed a infusion of something. It turns out veteran leadership is what McVay decided by signing Whitworth and Sullivan. And it's obvious they know that work is not done. Giving Tre Jackson a physical is evidence of that fact. So we should expect them to draft an offensive lineman or two this week. Hopefully a center and a tackle.

I think the second most important "improvement" we need has already begun to happen. The defense. Bringing in Wade Phillips immediately sends a positive note. Signing a couple of cornerbacks, a defensive tackle and Connor Barwin continues that overhaul. The draft will obviously bring in more talent. But whatever pieces we add one thing is of the most importance........gelling quickly. We need that defense to be stellar from the get go if we're going to improve our record by season's end.

Next on my list is not a change. It's maintaining an excellence on special teams. Of course a couple of return TDs, blocked punts or field goals will help but if these guys just hold serve that's one third of the team up to snuff.

The last and equally important improvements are all about the offensive skill positions. Of course we need Jared Goff to make the proverbial second year leap many good QBs make. But that probably won't be from day one. It's a progression that will need to continue and if it happens at a good pace, we should be pleased by midseason. That is why good defense and special teams play are very important from week one.

If the O line issues are solved it will not only help Goff but provide Gurley the opportunity to be a factor again. I know there are some who maintain his regression shouldn't all be put on the offensive line and I agree. It should be put on the entire offense, from Gurley to the OL to the QB play to the WR play and to the playcalling/offensive approach but not necessarily in that order. So we need McVay to be the guy he's been before he arrived and improve upon that. We could also use a legit deep threat WR. That may be via the draft (I hope) or via post draft free agency or both.

I do know this.......it's not going to be easy but it's not impossible. It won't be "a miracle" if we do improve beyond 8-8 this season. It will be through smart drafting, development and scheme with a staff that needs to gel along with all the moving parts integrated this season. I'm not holding them to a lower standard and I'm not expecting a GSOT turnaround. I'm expecting legitimate improvement and results.

So will I be disappointed?

by LARams_1963
7 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   1191  
United States of America   North Port, FL
Pro Bowl

Do I think it's gonna happen? No.... but let's not forget....

1998 4-12
1999 13-3 World Champs

by BobCarl
7 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   4308  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

by CanuckRightWinger
7 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Good thoughtful post from Pennsylvania, as always! 8-)

I think his point about Bones Fassel's ST guys "holding serve" is a very valid one that we all seem to forget about and take for granted. ie. Los Ramos STs have been stellar with Fassel at the helm! :idea:

Our success, or lack thereof, in 2017 will be very dependent on a young QB Jared Goff who looked very shaky in 7 starts last season. Let's remember that with:
--the same woeful OLine
--the same tentative running from Gurley
--the same lousy receiving corps
--the same butter-fingered TEs
--AND THE SAME UNIMAGINATIVE BORAS-GROH SNOOZEFEST OFFENSIVE GAMEPLANS....

THAT EVEN WITH THOSE SAME ALBATROSSES HANGING OFF OF HIS NECK, CASE AngelHairPastaArm KEENUM WAS WITHIN A DROPPED KENDRICKS TD PASS IN LONDON FROM GOING 5-4!!! :idea:

Jared OfNazareth Goff was 0-7.

Just like we tend to overlook Fassel's strong results......Ramsnation is only too eager to overlook the sins of Jared 7FacePlants Goff. :idea:

As always....JMO.

by Indrid Cold
7 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   864  
United States of America   Redington Beach, FL
Veteran

Sorry, cracks me up when people state we are two coaches and 3 players away from an 11-5 team. Love that to be true, but this is a team that went 1-11 in its last 12 games. Or that we "throw out last year" and have to improve on 8-8. Last year was real football, not some mirage.

Love McVay...great hire, so much better than a re-tread hire. He showed a lot in his coaching hires and in FA influence (would Fisher ever in a million years signed Whitworth and admitted the LT elephant-in-the room bust? No way). And I'm all in, throwing down big $ to drive 4 hours to Jacksonville in October to watch my team, so it's not just being negative here.

But come on , put down the cool aid. In addition to being the league's worst offense, we were 24th in sacks and 16th in rush ypa on D last year. Temper expectations a little. This is a pretty crappy team right now. But McVay is a guy with a vision and won't fool heartedly stick with same personnel (hi Jeff!), even Goff, if it's going to derail his success. Future is bright...but let's be a little more realistic about where we are at now.

by Elvis
7 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   38523  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

CanuckRightWinger wrote:Jared OfNazareth Goff was 0-7.

Just like we tend to overlook Fassel's strong results......Ramsnation is only too eager to overlook the sins of Jared 7FacePlants Goff. :idea:

As always....JMO.

Jared Goff has had the severe handicap of never having been coached, in the NFL, by anyone other than Jeff Fisher and his staff. Only Sean Mannion has suffered the same hardship.

Don't know what we have in Jeff Goff, i know he's got the arm. Can't wait to find out the rest...

by snackdaddy
7 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   9662  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I have no idea how Goff will turn out. I believe its going to take a full two years before we even begin to find out. We can debate it all today but like everything else this time of year, no one knows. Some point to the 0-7 record as proof. Others feel its unfair to judge him considering the situation he was in. Me? I think I'll wait to pass judgement. We still don't know what we have in the head coach either.

by PARAM
7 years 23 hours ago
 Total posts:   12247  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Indrid Cold wrote:Sorry, cracks me up when people state we are two coaches and 3 players away from an 11-5 team. Love that to be true, but this is a team that went 1-11 in its last 12 games. Or that we "throw out last year" and have to improve on 8-8. Last year was real football, not some mirage.

My expectations are tempered. I don't think you can ever be "3 players away" from anything. It's about all 53. I do believe you can be one head coach (and staff) away from a successful season. What happened in 2012? New coach took over a 2-14 team and they were 7-8-1.

My expectations are tempered. I don't expect an 11-5 or 12-4 team in 2017. I also don't expect more of that 7-9 bullshit. Will it be 8-8? Better? Worse? I don't know but I never rule out anything in the NFL. And we are progressing in one way. We went 10-38 from 2009-2011. Then we went 31-48-1 from 2012-2016. McVay is young, new to this HC thing but he does have some vet coaches around him. I expect improvement.

On Goff I expect a jump from 2016 but not from the jump. I expect him to progress at a good pace towards being "that guy". If he doesn't, like you said, McVay will make changes. But after watching this kid (and reviewing his NCAA performance) I believe we have the real deal. We'll see.

Enjoy that 4 hour drive. I drove 900+ miles twice (I forget how long it took) to see the Martz led Rams and the following year the Linehan led Rams. BTW, they lost both. Took the train the following year to see a win, one of just 3 all year.

by CanuckRightWinger
7 years 11 hours ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Yes Pennsylvania, we saw Scotty Linehack's charges lose to cross-state rivals, The Chiefs in October 2006. One play I remember from that snoozefest was Flounder Linehan, on the last play of the game, run a long pass play to Kevin WhiteLightning Curtis. Curtis got hammered, but there was a defensive penalty on the Chiefs, so Los Ramos had one last play.

Remember what Scott Linehan did??? He ran the exact same play and the Chiefs Safetyman came in with such ferocity, like an Exocet Missle, and knocked Kevin Curtis into East St. Louis. If you recall, Curtis's Horned Helmet came flying offa his noggin.....so there was a Chris Angel Moment there where it looked like Curtis had been decapitated!!! :o :arrow: :(

....Remember?

Anyhoo, not to be a knitpick.....BUT, the previous year in November 2005 when we witnessed Denver RB Portis run untouched for like a 70 yard TD past our converted Safetyman Mike ButLastWeekIWasAWideout Furrey on the third play of the game.....ME at the time: "This is part of our Rope-A-Dope Victory Plan"!!!!
In any case, we were NOT "Martz-led" that 2005 Sunday afternoon we watched the First Harvard QB ever start an NFL Game.....Ryan Fitzpatrick (Martz's final draft pick in the NFL BTW!! :idea: ).....
no, we were Joe Vitt-led! :?

I know, I know......fooking nitpick right??!! ;) :arrow: :lol:

by BobCarl
7 years 10 hours ago
 Total posts:   4308  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

• 1 / 1
10 posts Apr 26 2024