24 posts
  • 2 / 3
 by actionjack
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   4039  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

ramsman34 wrote:That makes a lot of sense. They had to like Z Evans and we just don’t know what his offseason was like and how the Rams think of him. The comp in camp at RB, DL, edge, TE and Safety is going to be intense and fun to watch. Could even add corner to that list. Heck, the only positions where there won’t be much “comp” is starting OL, QB, starting WR and ILB.

Camp will tell the tale, the Rams def liked Rivers over Evans last year. IMO Evans needs to show something this offseason and TC to make the club. McVay already has some confidence in Rivers.

by Elvis
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   38769  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

It will be interesting, rookie RBs don't play a lot for McVay, at least they haven't.

Does that mean Evans is ready to step up a wrung this year, or is he simply a disappointment? Hard to know from the outside.

Is Corum gonna be RB 1b? Maybe but i tend to doubt it. You have to know the offense, know the protections and be able to execute them in real time.

I know it's not quite the same but look at Kyren. He played very little as a rookie (yes he was hurt a lot of that time), the Rams drafted Evans and signed Freeman in the offseason. What did that tell us about Kyren? Turns out nothing, he had a break out season last year.

Now i'm not saying Evans is gonna have a breakout year this year and Corum won't play much but i think both those things are at least possibilities...

by actionjack
2 weeks 3 days ago
Superstar

Elvis wrote:It will be interesting, rookie RBs don't play a lot for McVay, at least they haven't.

Does that mean Evans is ready to step up a wrung this year, or is he simply a disappointment? Hard to know from the outside.

Is Corum gonna be RB 1b? Maybe but i tend to doubt it. You have to know the offense, know the protections and be able to execute them in real time.

I know it's not quite the same but look at Kyren. He played very little as a rookie (yes he was hurt a lot of that time), the Rams drafted Evans and signed Freeman in the offseason. What did that tell us about Kyren? Turns out nothing, he had a break out season last year.

Now i'm not saying Evans is gonna have a breakout year this year and Corum won't play much but i think both those things are at least possibilities...

Well it is Corum's job to lose at this point, you wouldnt spend 3rd draft capital if it wasnt.
I would expect with his intelligence he will be ready to be the No2 guy game one barring injury setbacks. I think Kyren still gets 70% of the touches but now we have a better option if he gets hurt.

by Elvis
2 weeks 3 days ago
Administrator

Okay but that's what i'm saying. Darrell Henderson was a 3rd round pick (and they traded up to get him) and he had 39 carries his rookie year.

I just don't think it's the lock everyone else does.

by rams74
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   1492  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:Okay but that's what i'm saying. Darrell Henderson was a 3rd round pick (and they traded up to get him) and he had 39 carries his rookie year.

I agree, and I think pass protection is a huge reason he may not play much year 1. He's so small, pass pro is going to be difficult for him.

by actionjack
2 weeks 3 days ago
Superstar

Elvis wrote:Okay but that's what i'm saying. Darrell Henderson was a 3rd round pick (and they traded up to get him) and he had 39 carries his rookie year.

I hear what you are saying, but if he doesnt get hurt, i do think he does contribute in 24. He has better moves than Kyren and a nose for the endzone, looks good pass catching too. I just think the Rams wanted to get another Kyren type, to provide no let down if/whenKyren got hurt or was out of the game. Dont want to overuse Kyren. The both read off the linebackers well, both could easily get hurt due to their size too though.

by ramsman34
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   8637  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Which is another reason they grabbed Boston Scott. Vet insurance beyond Rivers. It could go down with Evans up and Corum down but I really doubt it. As the Rams have played rookies more in general lately bc they had to. It’s given them more openness to doing so going forward. It’s still on Corum to “learn and earn”, as it were.

by Elvis
2 weeks 3 days ago
Administrator

Here's some of what Snead had to say about rookies playing in the offense:

“To come in as a rookie, to come in as any player and absorb what Sean and his group are teaching and then go execute it, it does take special…Mom, Dad, God gave you a pretty good brain to be able to process some info and apply it real quickly on the grass and also a care factor to continue evolving because these guys evolve. We put a lot of emphasis in on how that player, for the most part, has a chance to come in and absorb a playbook as a rookie and then go apply it at speeds that they're used to playing and not letting it bog them down.”

by actionjack
2 weeks 2 days ago
Superstar

Elvis wrote:Here's some of what Snead had to say about rookies playing in the offense:

McVay did have the comment in one of the draft pressors i paraphrase, being forced to use rookies/younger players got him more willing to play young guys in the future versus leaning on experience as much". Will see

• 2 / 3
24 posts May 18 2024