68 posts
  • 1 / 7
 by PARAM
2 weeks 5 hours ago
 Total posts:   12289  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Every year there are predictions this guy won't make it to that slot; that guy will be around later; etc. etc. Somebody slap me when I start believing the pre-draft BS from experts and amateurs alike.

1. The QBs. Bo Nix at #12? 6 of the first 12 picks QBs and the first 14 picks offensive players.

2. Michael Penix went off the board at #8? WTF is Atlanta going to do with him, having Cousins signed through 2027 at $180 mil.

3. Byron Murphy went before Dallas Turner?? I don't feel like a dunce for wanting the Rams to draft him.

4. Fashanu was supposed to drop like a stone. But he ended up going #11 and considering the number of QBs taken, I don't think he dropped at all.

5. Jer'Zhan Newton lasted until the 2nd round? And despite the DUI 2 weeks before the draft, Sweat went 2 slots after JN.

6. There was a 2nd round run on DTs, with 4 being taken over 5 slots. The Rams traded up for Fiske at the end of that run. Then there was a run on CBs with 4 straight going off the board.

7. 7 WRs in the first round? We can't say the passing game isn't priority 1 for NFL teams. 7 WRs, 6 QBs, 8 LTs only leaves 11 slots for other first round positions!!!

What else? Feel free to add your own "surprises/shocks"!!!

I have another one.....

The Rams did practically exactly what Ram fans wanted them to do. They got an Edge and DL with their first 2 picks. Grabbed an offensive playmaker early (Corum). The safety was a bit of a shock but IMHO, he was so high on their board they had to take him. Then another Edge and a NT for good measure. Didn't we want them to add to the defense? Amazingly, they grabbed a PK...the best one after all that defense and then added an intelligent WR. Finally, they supplemented the OL depth. We couldn't have designed a better wish list. No toys. No WTF was that!!!!

by max
2 weeks 4 hours ago
 Total posts:   5587  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

I was generally happy with our draft. Only caveat is not addressing CB, and to a lesser degree OT earlier.

It’s hard to win a SB without good corners. Not sure we have that yet.

Very nice to likely ridding ourselves of the angst of missing FGs and PATs. Worth the 6th rounder, for sure.

by BrooklynRam74
2 weeks 3 hours ago
 Total posts:   199  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

While we definitely need CB depth and an infusion of young talent in our CB room (next draft?), to say that we don't have good corners doesn't seem that accurate. By all measures Darious Williams and Tre White have been above-average Corners in this League very recently. I do understand that White's health is a question right now.

by PARAM
2 weeks 3 hours ago
Hall of Fame

BrooklynRam74 wrote:While we definitely need CB depth and an infusion of young talent in our CB room (next draft?), to say that we don't have good corners doesn't seem that accurate. By all measures Darious Williams and Tre White have been above-average Corners in this League very recently. I do understand that White's health is a question right now.

Our CB room is going to be reliant on T. Whites health. He and DWill are talented and experienced. Add to them Durant and Kendricks (who many have already given up) who also have experience, as well as Tomlinson and the room might be better than most think.

The safety room includes Curl, Lake, Yeast, Taylor and now Kinchens. I think we may well be set back there. But bringing back a JJ or Witherspoon isn't out of the question

by Dare
2 weeks 2 hours ago
 Total posts:   96  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

The way the draft unfolded benefited the Rams. It pushed both Verse and Fiske down. Verse had a top 10 grade by some evaluators while Fiske was viewed by others as a mid-first round to lower first round pick. The Rams got both giving them a completely scary DL of JACK Young, 3T Turner, 1T Fiske, and DE/OLB Verse. They also picked up Jackson if they want to show a 5 man DL on third and longs. Verse can push down to a 5T or even a second 3T with Jackson outside of him.

Shula will have tremendous flexibility with his defensive front. Both Turner and Fiske can play 3T or 1T sowing confusion on opposing OLs.

I think we are witnessing the changing of the guard in terms of Skowronek and Atwell. Whittington is faster than Skowronek, and a better blocker, and he also is a legitimate threat running the ball (jet sweeps).

Tyler Davis is a better NT than Brown and it could push Brown off the active roster. Again giving Shula a lot of combinations on his DL with quality depth.

Kinchen's could push Yeast off the active roster as well. With Lake looking like the Ram's nickel DB that would give them Curl and Kinchen as their safeties.

White is on a one year deal so it gives Durant a year to develop. Also in the mix will be Jason Taylor the forgotten DB as he lost his rookie season due to injury. But he's got excellent length and decent speed should they want to convert him to CB. I think with Durant, Lake and Taylor they might have their CBs. Regardless I think it could push Kendricks off the active roster.

I would expect Shula to play primarily man and zone match coverages in his secondary. I say that because of their drafting Kinchens who along with Curl gives them the type of safeties you want if that is going to be their scheme. IMO their base nickel will be boundary CBs Williams and White, SCB Lake, safeties Curl, and Kinchens. That is a solid secondary that will allow them to play man or zone match.

The weakness in zone match is short zone coverages. Rozeboom has the athleticism to play the coverage ILB in that coverage scheme. Playing a zone match is complex and requires a lot of communication on the back end. But once the secondary learns it, it can be extremely good as Staley's tenure as DC showed. Regardless the Rams have the secondary to play both styles.

With Corum the Rams have another RB which is an excellent fit for the run scheme McVay now employs. Corum has outstanding vision and excellent agility. Like Williams he's not going to break big runs but like Williams he can be a chain mover. IMO on short yardage situations they have big bodied Williams at 6'1", 205 lbs, with 4.47 speed who runs with a violent style. If he breaks a short yardage run he has the speed to take it to the house.

This offense was dangerous before, but with Corum and Whittington it's even more so. I think by the end of October the defense should be hitting it's stride and this is a team no one will want to play from November on.

This team is built and it's time to rumble!!

by /zn/
2 weeks 1 hour ago
 Total posts:   6784  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:3. Byron Murphy went before Dallas Turner?? I don't feel like a dunce for wanting the Rams to draft him.

Seattle saw what the Rams did with their interior OL this off-season. So they asked, now what would help counter that?

by PARAM
2 weeks 29 minutes ago
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:Seattle saw what the Rams did with their interior OL this off-season. So they asked, now what would help counter that?

I have a suggestion....moving back to the AFC West! :lol2:

by RAMMAN76
2 weeks 3 minutes ago
 Total posts:   565  
United States of America   Fort Worth TX
Veteran

"2. Michael Penix went off the board at #8? WTF is Atlanta going to do with him, having Cousins signed through 2027 at $180 mil. "

An interesting article regarding this decision.

GWINN: The Falcons Selection of Michael Penix Jr. Is the Worst Draft Pick of All-Time

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2024/0 ... -all-time/

• 1 / 7
68 posts May 12 2024