44 posts
  • 1 / 5
 by Elvis
2 weeks 20 hours ago
 Total posts:   38705  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

At the post draft presser today McVay said with a new DC they'll do some similar things but they will explore some different things on how to "push the envelope."

Could be some interesting stuff coming up this year. As always coach speak being what it is and this stuff is dependent on lots of factors but still...

by /zn/
2 weeks 19 hours ago
 Total posts:   6784  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:At the post draft presser today McVay said with a new DC they'll do some similar things but they will explore some different things on how to "push the envelope."

Could be some interesting stuff coming up this year. As always coach speak being what it is and this stuff is dependent on lots of factors but still...

Here's what is kind of visible from that. They signed veteran DBs who knew match-zone and who were also versatile, which just suggests a lot of disguised coverages. That applies to Lake too.

If you look at the front 7 guys they drafted, and then include Turner, they are versatile about where they line up. (This doesn't apply to Davis, the 6th rounder, who looks to be a straight-up NT).

It just seems like they will scheme in a lot of movement and versatility. Like they used to do with Donald where they would have him line up all over the DL--except, in 2024 it will be with 3-4 guys moving around that way at the same time.

by ramsman34
2 weeks 19 hours ago
 Total posts:   8625  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

I think we will see mix of 30 and 40 fronts, and not just the 30-under front. I can see true 40 fronts, with Verse and Young able to tighten at the 7-tech and play the wide 9-tech. It will be, with the multiple coverage that ZN described, a very multiple D. And blitzing will be wild.

by PARAM
2 weeks 11 hours ago
 Total posts:   12289  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Gonna be fun to watch!! Not only that but they're extremely young....which means it may be fun to watch for years to come. Imagine that.

by snackdaddy
2 weeks 7 hours ago
 Total posts:   9688  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

More talent at the edges. Less talent inside with the loss of Donald. But I imagine they will adjust to fit what they have. Which is a couple high motor disruptive talents in Turner and Fiske. We had some luck going our way in the first round. Seriously doubt a guy like Verse lasts to number 19 if there weren't so many offensive players taken earlier.

by 69RamFan
2 weeks 7 hours ago
 Total posts:   3208  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

Reposting:

Here is my Defensive 3-4 lineup:

OLB/Young, DT/Turner, NT/Brown, DE/Fiske, OLB/Verse

____________________ MLB/Jones

____________ Star/Lake

CB/Williams ________________________ CB/White

____________S/Curl ___________ S/Kinchens

by PARAM
2 weeks 6 hours ago
 Total posts:   12289  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:More talent at the edges. Less talent inside with the loss of Donald. But I imagine they will adjust to fit what they have. Which is a couple high motor disruptive talents in Turner and Fiske. We had some luck going our way in the first round. Seriously doubt a guy like Verse lasts to number 19 if there weren't so many offensive players taken earlier.

Some folks had Latu as the #1 edge....and he did go off first. But those who worried about his medicals (a disk removed) had Verse as the #1 Edge. Turner by some others. I wanted Verse after I watched the FSU defense. Had no idea we'd get both he and Fiske. Ram fans are going to love those 2.

As far as less talent "inside", anytime you lose a first ballot HOFer, you're gonna lose talent. But don't sell the interior group short. Kobie, Brown III, Desjuan Johnson, Fiske and Davis, possibly with contributions from Murchison (and Hoecht?) should grow into a good unit.

I think we're gonna like this defense.

by Lancer
2 weeks 5 hours ago
 Total posts:   179  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

Definitely agree w/ others assessments here.

On paper, we drafted players on the line who had notable high motivation throughout play -- for example, no one dinged for the dreaded takes plays off or disappears at times, who play fast/bursty, and demonstrated either "lizard brain" awareness or high football IQ while in pocket/gaps.

Ofc that's on paper, we'll have a more clear idea of how successful this was, once the packages and sets get installed, and people become more comfortable w/ their roles in them.

by 69RamFan
2 weeks 3 hours ago
 Total posts:   3208  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

PARAM wrote:Some folks had Latu as the #1 edge....and he did go off first. But those who worried about his medicals (a disk removed) had Verse as the #1 Edge. Turner by some others. I wanted Verse after I watched the FSU defense. Had no idea we'd get both he and Fiske. Ram fans are going to love those 2.

As far as less talent "inside", anytime you lose a first ballot HOFer, you're gonna lose talent. But don't sell the interior group short. Kobie, Brown III, Desjuan Johnson, Fiske and Davis, possibly with contributions from Murchison (and Hoecht?) should grow into a good unit.

I think we're gonna like this defense.

In the beginning, I was just viewing the talent based off the rankings,
Latu looked great on tape,
But then after I started to watch the tape on the top four edge rusher,
I was like Verse all the way.

IMO, Latu is overrated,
cause he played in a weaker conference.

Plus, if you look at who he was rushing against,
primarily against the RT.
It's no wonder why he had so many sacks.

Whereas Verse, played in a stronger conference,
plus, playing against LT,
in which the better T is always on the left side.

During the senior bowl,
Latu was getting pushed around during one on one by the top tackles.

by ramsman34
2 weeks 2 hours ago
 Total posts:   8625  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

69RamFan wrote:Reposting:

Here is my Defensive 3-4 lineup:

OLB/Young, DT/Turner, NT/Brown, DE/Fiske, OLB/Verse

____________________ MLB/Jones

____________ Star/Lake

CB/Williams ________________________ CB/White

____________S/Curl ___________ S/Kinchens

See it the same but, Tre White is 50/50 at best to start the season. They will likely ease him in with that Achilles. I think they re sign spoon at the start of camp. Unless Cobie or Captain grabby can be counted on to start outside until Tre is fully ready to go.

• 1 / 5
44 posts May 12 2024