35 posts
  • 3 / 4
 by 69RamFan
4 weeks 1 day ago
 Total posts:   3213  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

Elvis wrote:I'm not a fan of drafting your QB of the future and letting him sit. We've all seen how well it can work so obviously not a horrible idea, just not fan myself. You don't know if your guy is gonna pan out, rookie contracts are short, these Rams are more of a live in the moment team and it works for them.

But i don't think it would be sending a bad message to the team if they did. Hell, Rams don't usually even have a 1st round pick. If they used one on a player who isn't expected to start for a couple/few years, don't think it would be a big deal.

But like i said, Rams seem to be a live in the moment team and it works. I'd stick with that...

Yes, I understand the concept without a first rd pick,
but they did trade those picks away for an impact players.
So, to say, they didn't have any 1st rd picks,
that's not how I see it,
because they used those picks for impact players,
Goff, Cooks, Ramsey & Stafford.
in which it did improved the team, bringing us to two SB and winning one.

What could happen if you draft a QB early in the first rd,
when you have a Stafford as your QB?

Example, Aaron Rodgers complained,
when GB draft his replacement to sit and learn behind him.
He was upset, because they didn't draft a WR in which he needed at the time.

I think Stafford wouldn't say anything up front because he is a classy man.
But that would be a disservice on towards Stafford.

But when you have a team ready and built to win now,
it's not the time to look for the future,
it's time to find the player to be complete for now.

You're right, the RAMs live by the moment, win now,

that being said, I think the RAMs will draft an edge rusher,
if the one they want is there on their draft board.

If not, I could see them trading down instead of trading up,
or then draft the best player available at 19th based off their draft board.

by ramsman34
4 weeks 1 day ago
 Total posts:   8637  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

69RamFan wrote:Bro, they have AJ at LT, are you throwing him to the curb?
Then they have NB as a backup, as the sixth man.

You are under estimating AJ 's abilities.
During games, I really concentrate on the OL,
I thought he did an excellent job playing LT.

Even the game against the Browns & Ravens,
he shut down Garrett, and the Raven's edge rusher.
Those were the two best defense in the league at that time frame.

The problem with our OL was at center,
the pressure coming up the middle.
They have now solved that problem.
They are set with all of the starters at the OL.

I feel if they trade up, it will be for an edge,
Unless they start to fall down in the draft,
but I doubt that.

The only way they don't go for an edge rusher,
if they can't find anyone to trade up with.
So, then they might draft for offense.

Just my immediate, knee-jerk reaction. Not discounting AJ. But, is he elite? The Rams tendered him and only have him under contract for 1 year. Protecting Staff is the #1 priority. Their moves so far support that.

I know edge is a need. But this team makes its bacon on offense. And they want to be elite. So LT and Wr and TE will be serious trade up considerations.

They will address the edge and DL positions and they will have a robust competition in camp for reps. They will also look to trade back up into the bottom half of the first for one of the top edge players, my gut is Chop Robinson, depending how the first round goes. I think they will burn future 1st and 2nd round picks to get an elite offensive player AND a top edge player. They believe/know their future picks will be at the bottom of each round. So they won’t have much issue using the now when they are at their highest value. They are gunning for super bowls now and as long as they have Stafford. And that means offense is priority #1. It doesn’t mean they will ignore the defense. And trust, if the blue chip players were more defenders than offense this year, it would be a different strategy. You have to consider the strength of the very elite, actual first round graded players. It slants heavily toward offense, IMO.

All just my opinion and gut feel.

And no fooking way they take a QB.

by AltiTude Ram
4 weeks 1 day ago
 Total posts:   2187  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

I just don't see the Rams drafting a QB in the 1st round. Maybe later in the draft. Look at all the recent QB'S that have become available over the past couple of years. I get that none of them will likely solve a long term solution for teams. At the same time betting on the 4th or 5th best rookie in this draft class isn't going to do that either.

Maybe a 6th or 7th for Zach Wilson is a much better investment. My point is we don't know who might become available in the next couple of years.

Wasting a valuable #1 pick on a player with questions and that will sit on the bench a minimum of 2 years isn't the best use of resources.

Especially with the way teams are casting out their former #1 picks for late rounders becoming more of the norm.

by 69RamFan
4 weeks 1 day ago
 Total posts:   3213  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

ramsman34 wrote:Just my immediate, knee-jerk reaction. Not discounting AJ. But, is he elite? The Rams tendered him and only have him under contract for 1 year. Protecting Staff is the #1 priority. Their moves so far support that.

I know edge is a need. But this team makes its bacon on offense. And they want to be elite. So LT and Wr and TE will be serious trade up considerations.

They will address the edge and DL positions and they will have a robust competition in camp for reps. They will also look to trade back up into the bottom half of the first for one of the top edge players, my gut is Chop Robinson, depending how the first round goes. I think they will burn future 1st and 2nd round picks to get an elite offensive player AND a top edge player. They believe/know their future picks will be at the bottom of each round. So they won’t have much issue using the now when they are at their highest value. They are gunning for super bowls now and as long as they have Stafford. And that means offense is priority #1. It doesn’t mean they will ignore the defense. And trust, if the blue chip players were more defenders than offense this year, it would be a different strategy. You have to consider the strength of the very elite, actual first round graded players. It slants heavily toward offense, IMO.

All just my opinion and gut feel.

And no fooking way they take a QB.

There is only one offensive player,

if they were going to trade up to draft an offensive player,

Yes, that would be LT/ALT.

I don't see them trading up for a WR or a TE,

Cause we have both WR/TE position starters tied up for the next three years.

If ALT is gone, and Verse is still on the board,

Don't be surprised that we trade up to get Verse. IMO

by actionjack
4 weeks 22 hours ago
 Total posts:   4039  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

Elvis wrote:I thought it was really good but nothing jumped out at me like, wow i never knew that. And a lot was mic'd up footage we'd seen before. Still pretty great just don't think i learned or saw anything particularly new.

One of the ways you know Stafford is getting near the end of his career is he's doing stuff like this, expanding his brand for whatever comes next. A formerly private player suddenly not so private. Not unlike AD. Stafford would be great at media stuff.

We know he's coming back for 2024. How many more after, we'll see. I'm sure it depends on his health and if the Rams did win the SB in 2024 that might figure too...

Nothing really new except for actually seeing the breakfast club finally. It was interesting that Puka wasnt there, so I guess he was only part of it in camp?!

by actionjack
4 weeks 22 hours ago
Superstar

Elvis wrote:I'm not a fan of drafting your QB of the future and letting him sit. We've all seen how well it can work so obviously not a horrible idea, just not fan myself. You don't know if your guy is gonna pan out, rookie contracts are short, these Rams are more of a live in the moment team and it works for them.

But i don't think it would be sending a bad message to the team if they did. Hell, Rams don't usually even have a 1st round pick. If they used one on a player who isn't expected to start for a couple/few years, don't think it would be a big deal.

But like i said, Rams seem to be a live in the moment team and it works. I'd stick with that...

I am more of a fan of drafting a QB but the contract stuff has definitely made it more complicated. But i would draft one if you feel they have a real shot of taking the baton from Stafford. I also think a rookie QB spending 1-2 years with Stafford would be invaluable in their development and team eventual success. The breakfast club probably solidified that to me even more. I just dont think the Rams will get another chance at a top 10 QB via trade, so the Rams need as many shots trying to develop guy before the bill comes due at QB.

Now, I dont think they are moving up in round one to do it. I do think they could go this route in the 2nd or 3rd round.

As much as I want Edge and or DL in the first round, I believe they will go offense especially once Peter Schrager mentioned it. So it appears it will be an OT/WR or Bowers. There does to seem to be smoke on moving up (could be just smoke), I wonder how high they are looking. Bowers has to be intriguing.

by Elvis
4 weeks 22 hours ago
 Total posts:   38769  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

actionjack wrote:Nothing really new except for actually seeing the breakfast club finally. It was interesting that Puka wasnt there, so I guess he was only part of it in camp?!

Yeah that was cool. Sure you saw it but here's Stu with more on breakfast club:

https://www.therams.com/news/inside-the ... ooper-kupp

by actionjack
4 weeks 22 hours ago
Superstar

Elvis wrote:Yeah that was cool. Sure you saw it but here's Stu with more on breakfast club:

https://www.therams.com/news/inside-the ... ooper-kupp

LOL I just read that before I posted. Really cool, you see it has an impact, love Wentz comment about WR's not being there. I think that is an underated idea having WR able to go back to the WR room and provide details and or points of interest.

by Elvis
4 weeks 22 hours ago
 Total posts:   38769  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

actionjack wrote:LOL I just read that before I posted. Really cool, you see it has an impact, love Wentz comment about WR's not being there. I think that is an underated idea having WR able to go back to the WR room and provide details and or points of interest.

Absolutely. And Kupp saying it was his room before Stafford showed up...

• 3 / 4
35 posts May 18 2024