31 posts
  • 2 / 4
 by RamsFanSince82
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   5851  
United States of America   So. Cal.
Hall of Fame

On the heels of their second preseason game, the Rams are going to meet with and work out outside linebacker Junior Galette. After reports of the visit surfaced on Saturday, head coach Sean McVay confirmed the news while speaking to reporters on a conference call Sunday evening.

Originally signed by the Saints as an undrafted free agent, Galette spent the first five seasons of his career in New Orleans with current Rams defensive line coach Bill Johnson. In 2013 and 2014, Galette posted consecutive seasons with double-digit sacks — 12.0 in 2013 and 10.0 in 2014.

He signed with Washington after New Orleans released him in the summer of 2015, but Galette’s next two years would be hampered by injury. Galette tore his left achilles tendon in 2015 and his right in 2016, missing all of both seasons.

Galette was able to come back in 2017, however, and play all 16 games. He posted 3.0 sacks and one forced fumble.

The outside linebacker has plenty of ties to the Rams staff — starting with Johnson, but extending to McVay and assistant head coach/linebackers coach Joe Barry, as they shared 2015 and 2016 together in Washington.

“He’s a guy that’s had a lot of rush production over the course of his career, and he’s somebody that we’re going to work out tomorrow,” McVay said. “If things go well, there’s a good possibility that we could sign him. But that’s all going to be predicated on the physical, how the workout goes.

“But I think with some of the history that a lot of our coaches have with the player, and just him being out there, being available, and potentially being able to add to our rush, that was something that was intriguing about bringing him in and seeing where he’s at.”

The Rams have had issues with injuries throughout the offseason program and preseason at outside linebacker. Morgan Fox suffered a season-ending knee injury during OTAs, to start. On the conference call, McVay said Matt Longacre is making progress and could potentially play in Saturday’s game against Houston. And McVay noted that rookie Obo Okoronkwo’s foot has not progressed as quickly as everyone would have liked following surgery during the offseason program.

However, McVay said any move with Galette — who has 34.5 career sacks — wouldn’t necessarily be a reaction to that.

“I would say it’s really independent,” McVay said. “I think it’s more a result of, he’s a guy that’s had rush production, a guy our coaches do have some familiarity with and know. And a guy like that, you want to be able to bring in and see where he’s at, and then be able to make a decision that we feel like best and really ultimately tries to shape out our team, and specifically to those edge rushers in some of those known-passing situations.”

by /zn/
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Galette hasn’t played a single down of football in a game while McVay or Barry were on staff. All they might know is his personality.
Just hope if they are signing him, it’s a non guarantee deal so he’s not going to take any reps away from our younger guys.

Some details on all of this. Knowing his personality matters obviously since that's the real issue (assuming he passes a physical) and his production in prior years would have been obvious when they signed him in 2015. Both McV and Barry were there when Galette was suspended in 2015 for domestic violence, so their sense of who and what he is in the wake of that matters too. Either way, there's football info there, since as Washington's DC Barry would have been in on signing him in 2015, and would have had him in some practices before he tore his achilles at the end of that August. They re-signed him in March, 2016 and would have had him around until his 2nd achilles in late July that year. That would include knowing how he rehabbed and knowing him from meetings, which includes a sense of his football IQ. So there's some football info there. It's not gameday action but it's not zero first-hand knowledge of him as a player either. On top of it, Rams DL coach Bill Johnson was with the Saints when Galette played there.

In terms of the Rams young OLBs--Obo is hurt, Longacre is a bit hobbled, Fox is out, and Lawler and Young are rookies at a time when they need some production. So if they think Galette can at least provide some rotational play, it would presumably help a young and hobbled unit.

Given all that I can't honestly say I am enthused about it. The guy has been a headcase. Three coaches knew him from before to one degree or another, and they appear to be okay with him, but...dang. In comparison he makes Marcus Peters look like Michael Brockers.

by Horny Mcbae
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   1543  
United States of America   South Bay, Los Angeles
Pro Bowl

Ya i agree. I am not too happy with this guy coming into our locker room but we do need help with Obo not healing as well as we thought he would and even then he is a rookie. Its an area we need improvement in and if Junior can play (physically) then he's a chance worth taking. His production when healthy is no joke.

From Sean's words it seems like a done deal and the money aspect of it isn't a problem for us. Plus Junior has been hinting at it for weeks too. Reading about his past and recent tweets etc i am not a big fan of his personality but who am i to judge.

by Ramsdude
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   1071  
United States of America   Pa.
Pro Bowl

Horny Mcbae wrote:Ya i agree. I am not too happy with this guy coming into our locker room but we do need help with Obo not healing as well as we thought he would and even then he is a rookie. Its an area we need improvement in and if Junior can play (physically) then he's a chance worth taking. His production when healthy is no joke.

From Sean's words it seems like a done deal and the money aspect of it isn't a problem for us. Plus Junior has been hinting at it for weeks too. Reading about his past and recent tweets etc i am not a big fan of his personality but who am i to judge.

Same here but if he does get signed, I hope he brings his belt to use on Jimmie GaCRAPolo!

by Zen_Ronin
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   2036  
Canada   Edmonton, AB
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:?

I think the Rams have kind of become an "audition" team for a few players. Come here, maybe don't make much, but pad your stats and hope the rest of the league notices. The plus; that'll inspire some "problem" players to behave. The minus; if they really get hot, we most likely lose them the next year. But if we get a ring or two in the meantime, I'm totally ok with it.

by Elvis
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   38381  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Looks like JG is a no go, maybe he failed his physical?

by norcalramfan
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   321  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

....or the FO decided his past was not worth the risk, or Longacre looks good, and they're happy with JFM and Lawler.

by dieterbrock
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Can’t say I’m disappointed

by 69RamFan
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   3164  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

I'm kind of glad it didn't work out,,,

Cause I want to see more snaps for JFM....

Most likely, Longacre and Ebukam will be starting....

and in the rotation will be Price, Young and Lawler...

With JFM getting in there during 3rd and long packages....

• 2 / 4
31 posts Mar 28 2024