70 posts
  • 6 / 7
 by Elvis
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38381  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Horny Mcbae wrote:Another point i wanted to make is that if things were as hunky dory between AD's side and ours as some of you have said then why wouldn't he show up for OTAs? Whats the harm for him if both parties are on the same page?

The harm is if he blows out a knee at OTA's before signing a new contract, lot of money at stake.

Plus i'm sure it's a matter of principle with AD as well...

by RamsFanSince89
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   165  
United States of America   Orcutt, Ca
Rookie

I think he's waiting for Mack's extension so he has a new cost "basis" to jump from. If he's wants to be the highest paid defensive player for long, he'll need to wait out Khalil.

by Horny Mcbae
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1543  
United States of America   South Bay, Los Angeles
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:The harm is if he blows out a knee at OTA's before signing a new contract, lot of money at stake.

Plus i'm sure it's a matter of principle with AD as well...

The specter of a freak injury looms everywhere. Stepping out of the shower. Running after your kid. Picking up something off the floor etc etc. I don't think that should outweigh the benefit of being with your teammates.

Your second point makes sense. The principle of it but that would indicate that not everything is as smooth between the two sides are we would like to think.

RamsFanSince89 wrote:I think he's waiting for Mack's extension so he has a new cost "basis" to jump from. If he's wants to be the highest paid defensive player for long, he'll need to wait out Khalil.

Another reason to renew him before Mack. A 100 other things could go into their negotiations with Mack which might lead them to pay him a huge number. A number we would have to match or more likely exceed to get our guy.

by Elvis
5 years 10 months ago
Administrator

Horny Mcbae wrote:The specter of a freak injury looms everywhere. Stepping out of the shower. Running after your kid. Picking up something off the floor etc etc. I don't think that should outweigh the benefit of being with your teammates.

True, you can get hurt anywhere, anytime but a football player getting hurt doing football stuff is not freakish at all, happens all the time.

Donald is gonna get what, between $50 and $100 million guaranteed when he signs his next contract?

That's worth protecting, imo...

by Elvis
5 years 10 months ago
Administrator

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... witter_atn

Aaron Donald, Khalil Mack must get PAID, but Odell Beckham ...

By Adam Schein
NFL.com Columnist

Despite the fact that we're squarely in the NFL offseason, there's no shortage of drama on the business side of the game. Several big-name players want to get PAID, but who's in position to truly cash in? Which cases could legitimately impact the 2018 season?

What's real? What's fake? What's farce?

All valid questions.

In this edition of the Schein Nine, allow me to survey high-profile "situations" around the league (in alphabetical order) and give my opinion on what should happen next.

1) Odell Beckham Jr., WR, New York Giants
I don't really care that Beckham showed up to organized team activities this week. Yes, the three-time Pro Bowl wideout skipped these voluntary workouts last season. And yes, it doesn't hurt that he's trying to make nice with new head coach Pat Shurmur.

But am I supposed to forget about the concerning video that leaked in March? What about all of the shenanigans -- on and off the field -- that I documented in a column one year ago? Or the ankle injury that forced him to miss the last 12 games of last season? Or the fact that I've won as many playoff games as Odell?

Set to make $8.459 million in the last year of his rookie contract, Beckham desires a lucrative long-term deal before the new seasons begins. I say the Giants should take a wait-and-see approach here. Have the 25-year-old play out the season. Beckham's a remarkable talent with Hall of Fame-caliber skills. But there's always something that distracts from winning.

2) Le'Veon Bell, RB, Pittsburgh Steelers
These Steelers should be thinking simple -- i.e., thinking Super Bowl -- but distractions abound these days in Pittsburgh. And this particular situation feels like a road to nowhere.

Last season, according to NFL Network's Tom Pelissero and Ian Rapoport, Bell turned down a five-year offer that would have paid him $30 million over the first two years. He wanted to be paid like a No. 1 RB and No. 2 WR. Back in February, Bell was tossing out figures like $50 million guaranteed.

The Steelers and the running back just don't seem to be in the same ballpark. And that's a problem. If I were running this franchise, I would've really looked to get a long-term deal done in February. I love Bell. I would've paid him. He's special. But if we couldn't strike a multi-year pact back then, I would have let him hit the open market.

Of course, this isn't the route Pittsburgh took. They franchise-tagged him for the second straight season. Now, the Steelers have to put their best foot forward and hope Bell's staying in shape. Clearly, this situation is less than ideal.

With Randy Fichtner taking over as offensive coordinator, the Steelers sure could've used a full offseason of participation from their chess-piece back. Pittsburgh needs him focused on football and winning the franchise's seventh Lombardi Trophy. But now, it appears Bell will stay away through Labor Day, signing his $14.544 right before the 2018 regular season begins. That will impact his touches in September. And possibly home-field advantage in January. And they're right back in the same place next offseason.

3) Tom Brady, QB, New England Patriots
Brady not being at OTAs this week is indeed something. Disagree? Well, in the past, I recall Brady gushing about how OTAs shape a season. The future first-ballot Hall of Famer has a reputation as one of the game's hardest workers and a true believer in The Patriot Way. Now, he's having brunch in New York while workouts are going on back in Foxborough. Can't imagine Bill Belichick being too happy about that. So, what gives?

Personally, I don't get the sense this is about money as much as all the other stuff. Think Alex Guerrero and Jimmy G and Malcolm Butler getting benched in the Super Bowl and offseason roster attrition.

The upside is the Super Bowl. It's Brady. It's Belichick. It's the greatest, longest, most impressive dynasty in sports history. But there's a lot of drama here. How do all parties involved move forward? The only deodorant for Brady, Belichick and the Pats is winning. But if New England -- which opens up the season with two interesting affairs against the Texans and Jaguars -- loses a couple of games early?

4) Aaron Donald, DT, Los Angeles Rams

Some of these situations are complicated. This one is not.

PAY. THE. MAN. HIS. MONEY.

I ranted in this space that Donald deserved to be the highest-paid defensive player in the league ... LAST YEAR! Les Snead recently told me on my SiriusXM Radio show, "Schein On Sports," that there is a time frame to get it done. Do it now. Don't derail what could be a special season for the Rams.

Donald is a gem, an unstoppable force. He's worth every penny. Do it by mid-July. If I'm Donald, I don't report this year until I get paid. He has the leverage. L.A. is a leading Super Bowl contender with him fronting the defense. Donald has paid his dues. Now it's time to get paid.

5) Rob Gronkowski, TE, New England Patriots
NFL Network's James Palmer reports has the latest update on this one:

James Palmer
✔
@JamesPalmerTV
A contract restructure with Rob Gronkowski is currently being worked on. If it has incentives like last year, per NFL rules it can't be done until May 24th (1 year from when he restructured his last deal). That’s a date to keep an eye on. Patriots third OTA is also on May 24th

9:49 AM - May 21, 2018
200 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Gronk is worth it. Always. Having arguably the best tight end in NFL history focused -- after being beat up physically and mentally at the end of last season -- is a big deal. Make it happen, Pats.

6) Julio Jones, WR, Atlanta Falcons
Nobody in Atlanta seems too worked up that Julio Jones isn't at voluntary OTAs, so I won't be.

Comparatively speaking, Jones is underpaid. According to Spotrac, the Falcons star currently ranks eighth in average salary. And Jones is at least a top-three wideout -- if he's not just No. 1. Jones signed a five-year, $71 million extension in 2015. He's an absolute stud ... but he's not on deck.

I won't have an issue if Atlanta gives Julio new money this offseason, but it has to benefit the Falcons. They hold the cards.

7) Khalil Mack, DE, Oakland Raiders
Mack is heading into the final year of his rookie deal. Back in April, our Steve Wyche reported that Mack wants a new deal with guarantees in excess of $65 million. Well, Derek Carr rightly got paid. And Jon Gruden rightly got paid. The team is moving to Vegas. Mack is an elite pass rusher. He would absolutely command that number on the open market. He's the face of the Raiders' defense.

While franchising Mack in 2019 is an option, I'd give him the long-term deal he has earned.

8) Aaron Rodgers, QB, Green Bay Packers

Every time a quarterback signs a new deal, the price goes up. I know Rodgers has two years left on his current contract. I don't care. Pay him. Now. Yesterday.

Aaron Rodgers is the most talented quarterback in NFL history. The 34-year-old gives the Packers a chance to win the Super Bowl every year. Just get it done. Plain and simple.

9) Earl Thomas, S, Seattle Seahawks
I've long argued that Earl Thomas is one of the most underrated defensive players in the NFL. He's been a great, impactful, true star for a Seattle defense that experienced sustained excellence for years. Thomas is in the final year of a $40 million extension he signed in 2014.

Unfortunately, it's not 2014 any more.

Thomas turns 30 next offseason. Seattle is in transition. And most especially, I cannot get over the scene of Thomas chasing down Jason Garrett in Dallas, right after the Seahawks-Cowboys game, and telling the coach to "come get me" in the offseason.

I love Thomas. I've been a fan for a long time. Seattle is smartly getting younger on defense and retooling. I wouldn't rush to make an aging player -- one who asked for another coach to acquire him -- one of the highest-paid safeties in the game.

Follow Adam Schein on Twitter @AdamSchein.

by Flash
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1203  
United States of America   Houston
Pro Bowl

RamsFanSince89 wrote:I think he's waiting for Mack's extension so he has a new cost "basis" to jump from. If he's wants to be the highest paid defensive player for long, he'll need to wait out Khalil.

This is what I was thinking. That and maybe he wants to go the way of Cousins and try for a 100% guaranteed contract...

by R4L
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

Donald really needs to realize that the Rams can hold his rights for another 3 seasons. His 5th year option, then tag him for 2 years. By that time he will be 29 and his chance at a giant contact may fly the coupe.

Alot can happen between now and then. Donald could be hurt and miss out on a deal.

I guess what I'm saying is if the Rams are offering 20 Mill like being reported, maybe he should consider the offer.

I know it's a lot of ifs and it's only my opinion but weirder things have happened in my 38 years of watching the Rams.

by BobCarl
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   4283  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Elvis wrote:
By Adam Schein
NFL.com Columnist

thanks for posting
I enjoyed the article and agreed with most of it.

• 6 / 7
70 posts Mar 29 2024