5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38376  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2353 ... ast-season

Todd Monken: Buccaneers made decision 'as an offense, to play poorly'

Jenna Laine
ESPN Staff Writer

TAMPA, Fla. -- Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Todd Monken isn't holding back his feelings on the Bucs' red zone struggles in 2017.

"We chose to suck. We chose not to do it as well as we can do it. I say that all the time, ever since I've been in coaching," Monken said Thursday. "Everyone has to take a bite of it because I always say, 'We sure as heck want the credit when we win.' I do. I want some of the credit. And we've gotta own it when we don't. When we don't score and we don't take care of the ball, when we don't do the little things that allow [ourselves] to win, then [we've] gotta own it."

Monken, now entering his third year with the team, added: "We made that decision as an offense, to play poorly -- we did."

"We did enough things that you can't do -- you do if you're a bad team," Monken said. "Bad football loses before good football wins. We're talking about quarterback/center exchanges, costly penalties, missed opportunities to put games away. But I do like the way our team finished at the end with that last five-game stretch."

The Bucs led the league last year with 26 fumbles, six of which happened in the red zone, also a league-high. Bucs receivers also had a 9 percent drop rate in the red zone, sixth-highest in the league. Their six drops in the red zone were tied for second-most.

"We have to be better in those critical areas," Monken said. "How do we stop turning the ball over? How do we stay explosive? How do we score touchdowns in the red zone? We finished 24th in the league [in red zone scoring]. What's interesting about that is it just would have taken five more touchdowns and then you jump from 24th to eighth because the sample size is so small."

Quarterbacks coach Mike Bajakian doesn't think the offense is that far off.

"I can show you seven plays off of the top of my head where, if we just played pitch and catch, we would have scored a touchdown," Bajakian said. "Instead, maybe we don't convert on third down or we take a sack and now it's second-and-long and we end up kicking a field goal on both of those instead of scoring a touchdown. So, it doesn't take a whole lot to improve. It's just a matter of execution."

by Elvis
5 years 10 months ago
Administrator

Throwing players under the bus, this wreaks of a coaching staff who know they're close to being fired...

by Hacksaw
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Elvis wrote:Throwing players under the bus, this wreaks of a coaching staff who know they're close to being fired...

For sure.
I can't imagine the players will play for this guy. McV in reverse.

by BobCarl
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   4282  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Elvis wrote:Throwing players under the bus, this wreaks of a coaching staff who know they're close to being fired...

It seems that he made a decision to demoralize his players...both then and now

by moklerman
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

I wonder if there's ever been a study to measure the effectiveness of negative reinforcement? It seems like most just consider it a 50/50 proposition whether to choose negative or positive ways to motivate people but I just can't imagine "don't fuck it up" as a sustainable or even initially productive way to get people to produce.

McVay certainly seems like a gift from the football gods at this point.

by ramsman34
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   8462  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

moklerman wrote:I wonder if there's ever been a study to measure the effectiveness of negative reinforcement? It seems like most just consider it a 50/50 proposition whether to choose negative or positive ways to motivate people but I just can't imagine "don't fuck it up" as a sustainable or even initially productive way to get people to produce.

McVay certainly seems like a gift from the football gods at this point.

Negative reinforcement is taking something away from someone - not berating them - unless you qualify that as taking away one's dignity, pride, sense of self. This is more a case of negative conditioning - I.E. the more you fuck up, the more fucked up things will get. And that is not motivational to almost anyone. It makes people paranoid and afraid of the consequence of failure. McVay's brilliance lies in his preparation based motivation and his ability to navigate bad plays/outcomes and turn them into positive teaching experiences. Myriad psychological studies support positive reinforcement and conditioning as a way to increase desirable behaviors, and logically, positive outcomes. This is tantamount to success in the NFL, and in almost every other area of personal development.

by snackdaddy
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   9630  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Football is more team sport than any other. You need a good chemistry to put it all together. This guy is an example of what not to say. In public you say "We were not that far off. We need to reduce mistakes and we'll get better". In private you tell them "You guys really screwed up on these plays. Get it right or we'll get someone who can. Here is how we get it right.".

by Elvis
5 years 10 months ago
Administrator

Hard Knocks, going back to 2012:

Dolphins
Bengals
Falcons
Texans
Rams
Bucs

Lot of those teams fired their coach within a year or two of being on the show. Tampa could well follow suit and we all know what kind of hot water Hue Jackson is already in...

by Hacksaw
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Elvis wrote:Hard Knocks, going back to 2012:

Dolphins
Bengals
Falcons
Texans
Rams
Bucs

Lot of those teams fired their coach within a year or two of being on the show. Tampa could well follow suit and we all know what kind of hot water Hue Jackson is already in...

Anthony Lynn you are on the clock.

• 1 / 1
9 posts Mar 28 2024